Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Unusual Hydrant pictures - Mattituck, L.I.

15 posts in this topic

While out on Long Island last week I caught a glimpse of two unusual "Fire Hydrants" (if that is what they are). They are both located in Mattituck, L.I. along Route 25 (North Fork). I have never seen these before and could not find any info about them online. Here are the pictures:

post-27-0-13638200-1353727506.jpg

post-27-0-64443300-1353727534.jpg

post-27-0-20343100-1353727580.jpg

post-27-0-65521100-1353727603.jpg

post-27-0-86733800-1353727629.jpg

post-27-0-27555200-1353727645.jpg

post-27-0-28106700-1353727659.jpg

As you can see in the second to last picture the device attached to the "Hydrant" is marked with "Duraline C.I.,N.Y". and in the last picture "Duraline Central Islip NY" is clearly visible.

Anyone have any info on these?

sfrd18, x4093k and x635 like this

Duraline is a company that deals with electrical connectors for maritime applications, ect. They are moving to a new location in FLA: http://www.jbn-duraline.com/

I'm wondering if that is a cistern or other drafting hydrant with a pump connected to it. Or it could be a booster hydrant used to pump into and boost pressure in a hydrant system. Have to look that up. very interesting.

Can I use your photo to post it up on another site to ask for some information?

x635 likes this

looks like a cystern with a 12v pump (the plug looks like a car jumper cable plug).

x635 likes this

Looks like some kind of cistern to me as well. I'd be curious to know more.

x635 likes this

Duraline is a company that deals with electrical connectors for maritime applications, ect. They are moving to a new location in FLA: http://www.jbn-duraline.com/

I'm wondering if that is a cistern or other drafting hydrant with a pump connected to it. Or it could be a booster hydrant used to pump into and boost pressure in a hydrant system. Have to look that up. very interesting.

Can I use your photo to post it up on another site to ask for some information?

I saw that jbn-duraline website doing some research. I could not find anything similar to what the attachment is.

Sure, go ahead and pass the pictures around. Only request is if anyone finds out post back here so we know what it's about.

Edited by SteveOFD

Almost looks like it may go to an underground storage tank

Got the answer. These are spring well hydrants. These hydrants have a pump at the bottom of the pipe in the well. The well pump needs a power source so an electrical cord is attached to the pumper as it is hooked up to the hydrant. Since some of the areas in the North Fork don't have a good water supply.

Mattituck and Cutchouge have the special built pump and electrical connections for these hydrants. Go to the link here for pics and the explanation: www.cutchoguefiredept.org/apps/public/news/newsView.cfm?News_ID=324

sfrd18, ant241, Bnechis and 5 others like this

Thanks Izzy for the info. Definately interesting. For those who have not noticed, in the second picture at the above link note the power cord from the apparatus bumper to the Hydrant.

If no one had come up with this info I was going to contact MattituckFD.org to find out. Thanks again.

Edited by SteveOFD

I was also wondering about the specs on the pump.

The submerged pump must be pretty substantial if it can maintain sufficient water supply through a large diameter soft suction.

I'm guessing the water level is deeper than atmospheric draft can lift successfully.

I didn't ask what the flow was Barry, I should have and I probably could get an answer quickly.

I am actually a member over at the Suffolk rant page so I got the information first hand from the jakes down there. I would assume the pressure is substantial enough to be able to use a soft suction to the hydrant to the pumper instead of hard suction. There are some of these "hydrants" that they are for drafting only and they don not have a pump but that varies from community out there.

I didn't ask what the flow was Barry, I should have and I probably could get an answer quickly.

I am actually a member over at the Suffolk rant page so I got the information first hand from the jakes down there. I would assume the pressure is substantial enough to be able to use a soft suction to the hydrant to the pumper instead of hard suction.

Just because there is enough pressure to use soft suction does not indicate if they flow enough to meet ISO standards and recieve credit. If they do not flow enough gpm, then the cost of instilation, maintenance and the time wasted by FD to operate them at a fire would be better spent developping alternative sources.

If you could find out the GPM, please ask. Thanks

IzzyEng4 likes this