firedude

(Delivered) Yonkers, NY FD Battalion SUVs

23 posts in this topic

County: Westchester
City/Town/Municipality/Dept: Yonkers Fire Department
Unit designation/identifier: Battalion 1 & Battalion 2
Chassis & Body (or Aerial) Manufacturer and model: 2012 Chevy Tahoe
Estimated delivery date: December 2012

Details: Replacing current Battalion 1 & 2 cars (Both 2010 Ford F-350)

sfrd18 likes this

Yeah, considering the Ford pickups are new, was there a reason why the YFD went back to SUV's?

Yeah, considering the Ford pickups are new, was there a reason why the YFD went back to SUV's?

not really "new" anymore, and yonkers has a very high call volume, so it is probably needed

Age is a trivial consideration. Many police departments (like the county) replace post cars every year because of high mileage.

Given the call volume in Yonkers and wear and tear on the vehicles it is not that surprising that they're being replaced.

The current trucks can then be used for other purposes or auctioned while they still have some value.

Bnechis, x129K, BFD1054 and 1 other like this

Yet NYC gets almost 8 years out of their Chiefs vehicles

How big is each Battalion Chief's first due in the FDNY compared to YFD's?

FDNY Chiefs outnumber YFD, what, some odd hundred to TWO?

Both outstanding urban departments, yet still, apples to oranges.

tglass59 likes this

And in those eight years how many miles are put on them?

How old are the Yonkers trucks being replaced?

And in those eight years how many miles are put on them?

How old are the Yonkers trucks being replaced?

Sometimes of more importance is how old are the spares or staff vehicles. Often staff vehicles are 8-10 years old and while the frontline vehicles do not need to be replaced, the frontline vehicles will be downgraded to fill in the staff needs.

BFD1054 and helicopper like this

How big is each Battalion Chief's first due in the FDNY compared to YFD's?

FDNY Chiefs outnumber YFD, what, some odd hundred to TWO?

Both outstanding urban departments, yet still, apples to oranges.

NYC has about 44 battalions. That's 28x YFD battalion contingent for 42x the population in NYC. However, NYC is only 15x the land area, so that leaves YFD battalions responsible for a much larger geographic area, comprised of hilly, rough roads coupled with a strong call volume. I'm sure that the grand plan here was thought out well enough by people who know the needs and conditions of the vehicles.

.....and the powers that be wanted to drop down to 1 battalion. I'm sure getting to a run in Colonial Heights and then back for the next run on South Broadway woulda been no problem.......ugh, stupid politicians....

SageVigiles, x129K, BFD1054 and 6 others like this

I really don't care about the age, if they needed new trucks I believe them, they run their asses off. I'm just wondering tactically if they preferred the SUV to the pick up with cap

batt 2 has 53,000 miles on it already in just under three years. Does anyone know what the average is for miles put on a fdny batt in say a year? I heard the old batts were a little too big in length for the tight streets and the tahoes may be a better fit for their needs. Any they averaged 3 mpg on top of that. Lol.

x129K, M' Ave, firedude and 1 other like this

YFD Special Operations Command (SOC) is also having it's car replaced with the same model as the two BC cars.

Link to photo by Joe Pinto on FDNY Buffs Facebook Group (access limited to Group members).

IF the FDNY battalions are anything like the the NYPD RMPs, then it depends where it the city they are assigned. When I worked in Manhattan, we regularly had older RMPs with lower mileage due to the density of population in a smaller area. Our cars would go 5 to 6 years before replacement, depending on conditions. Where I am at now it the Bronx we rack up the miles pretty quick. Our newest van put 41,000 in its first year with us, and now as it is approaching its second year is around 79,000 miles. I have been there for 2 and half years, we have gotten 1 new van and 2 new cars in that time period. From what I have heard, that is normal. Overall the conditions of the cars at those mileages are the same, tired, prone to breakdowns, doors and windows leak, need greater maintenance, etc, the only difference is age.

Yonkers has 2 to cover the city. They probably run nonstop. As was mentioned, what condition are the spares in, if there are any? NYPD spare RMPs are a crap shoot.

Edited by grumpyff
firedude, x129K and 210 like this

NYPD spare RMPs are a crap shoot.

When I was a cop in the 4-8, I worked 4x12's...............One very busy friday night tour, my partner and I blew the engine on our RMP.....Went back to the house, got a spare that the 4-8 had...........within 45 minutes, we broke one of the leafsprings responding to an 85 forthwith.............Went back to the house again, and got our 3rd car of the tour (which was also a spare), and If I remember correctly, we broke that one also by the end of the tour......................

Desk Sgt. wasn't too happy with us..............

Edited by helicopper
sfrd18 likes this

Is SOC for Safety Battalion ?

No, Safety has been shut down due to funding. There has always been a Ops Chief, the new car is to be used by SOC personnel for daily routines and responses. SOC operates during daytime, or on call after that.

firedude and sfrd18 like this

No, Safety has been shut down due to funding. There has always been a Ops Chief, the new car is to be used by SOC personnel for daily routines and responses. SOC operates during daytime, or on call after that.

J - can you tell us alittle more about the SOC? Other than Rescue and the Squad - what do they staff daily? Do they have FF's assigned only on day tour - like 9-5 fireman or something?

sfrd18 likes this