x4093k

Westchester County PD New Marine Unit

17 posts in this topic

New M2 for WCPD. Hope it serves them well. This one isn't the exact same thing as the 1st SAFE boat, but very similar. I believe this replaced one of the Whalers.

Seen here operating at a minor boat accident yesterday 5/4/13

post-22082-0-22779400-1367799054.jpg

post-22082-0-79971400-1367799088.jpg

post-22082-0-36763500-1367799129.jpg

Edited by x4093k

Nice looking vessel. Best of luck with her.

x4093k and MUDMEDIC like this

Where is Marine 2's home port?

M2, M3 Tarrytown, M4 Verplanck. M1 SOD.

There are no WCPD Marine units in the Sound?

There are no WCPD Marine units in the Sound?

Nope, And there are no cops on the boats either for much of the year.

More squandered grant money.

Nope, And there are no cops on the boats either for much of the year.

More squandered grant money.

Oh Dinosaur it was almost not worth a response. You seem to have a problem with bashing anything WCPD Marine does. Is it envy?

Since you have so much knowledge of the day to day operations, could you please tell me how there are no cops for much of the year?

Also, how would you better utilize the alleged, by you, squandered grant money?

x4093k and Mofire24 like this

I can say honestly that the WCPD Marine Unit(s) assigned to the Hudson River seem to be there almost anytime there's an incident on that river. Is it staffed full time - probably not. But it is out there when it's needed (or so it seems).

Nice looking vessel, good luck with it.

x4093k and CM36 like this

I think with all the incidents in the Hudson over the past few years, this Marine unit is a necessity to save lives.

I wasn't clear on the question before. Who patrols the Long Island Sound?

I know that Rye, Port Chester, Mamaroneck Village, and New Rochelle all have marine units. Don't know much about their capabilities, or if I left anyone out.

Oh Dinosaur it was almost not worth a response. You seem to have a problem with bashing anything WCPD Marine does. Is it envy?

Since you have so much knowledge of the day to day operations, could you please tell me how there are no cops for much of the year?

Also, how would you better utilize the alleged, by you, squandered grant money?

Almost, huh? :lol: I have nothing against the officers who do get assigned to the boat when they get assigned to the boat. They all do a very good job within the limits of the department.

How many boats does the county have? 3? 4? But they only staff one for the summer , right? And only on the Hudson. So the left side of the map gets a dedicated presence from the County but the right side of the map gets none. Sorry but that's like saying you only patrol the northbound side of the parkway and not the southbound. Still not your fault, it's mismanagement.

There was a time that the county had the stakeholders gather to decide how grant money for Westchester County would be spent. There were debates and some huge disagreements (always bring popcorn for the show) but in the end the best projects got funding.

Now some bosses have their very own tahoes and we have a fleet of boats that the county won't staff.

Can you honestly tell me that another boat was the best use of those funds? Did anyone ask what other projects might be more important then yet another boat for the Hudson?

Nothing personal, nothing personal at all. B)

billy98988 likes this

With some of the Homeland Security funding that's issued out to States for funding projects like this, there is a requirement that a certain percentage of the funding go to law enforcement projects, I believe it may be 25%, but don't quote me on that. So that could be why WCPD had the money to spend. Not saying whether or not a boat was the best option, because I honestly don't know much about WCPD, just saying how the funding system works.

Two sides to that: If law enforcement is routinely involved in the planning process on a county/regional basis, it ensures they are well represented in receiving the funding that comes with it without being outvoted by the other members of the planning team. However, it can go the other way and the PDs can simply "phone it in" by taking money without actually participating in anything. I've seen both.

The marine unit is staffed daily during the spring/summer season and WCPD does a great job patrolling the waters of the Hudson River. I believe I have also heard them respond into the sound. Correct me if I am wrong.

The Maine unit is staffed by 2 full time officers during the boating season. A boat will be placed in the sound and staffed during holidays and special events with 2 additional officers as events dictate. The third boat is a spare and ready to go allowing other trained officers to appropriately respond to incidents as necessary. Monies for these projects are allocated years in advance through state and federal grants and becomes very complicated. With the building of the tappan zee etc they will remain to be very effective preventing and detecting crimes, educating the public and aiding in several rescues as done in the past. They have also been providing assistance to the uscg during specialized marine operations. Two thing Wcpd does very well is there aviation and marine units, they are effective and provide a great resource to the county there staffing of both units is well trained, dedicated and professional.

BFD1054 and x635 like this