Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Cat Stuck In Tree

19 posts in this topic

Littering and...littering and...

Good ole NYFD...second best department in NYC.

I wonder if the call came in as a "Jumper Up". He was probably thinking he should have just tasered the cat.

JM15 likes this

See, these cops saw a way to really assist some neighbors while on patrol. They did the right thing, and err'd in the favor of service.

I'm sure there's a little girl and boy that are very grateful to FF's and Cops right now....the cat may not have been important to us, but it was to them to get there cat back.

And some needed laughs will sure brighten anyones day for us!

Good work all!

Someone should give the officer the advice I was given by my D.C. when I was a probie. He said in all his years on the job he has never seen the skeleton of a cat in a tree. With that said he continued with, we will never put a person at risk to get a cat down from a tree. When the cat gets hungry it will find it's way down.

fireboyny, PEMO3 and Bnechis like this

Been there, done that. When I was young and not always using my main brain to do the thinking I went into a tree to bring down a cat for a very fetching co-ed. We did not have a ladder truck so I went as far as our extension ladder permitted and then it was a free climb.

I went far beyond my comfort level but was ultimately succussful in reaching the cat and bringing it down.

A job, unnessecary, but well done was my only reward.

RES24CUE likes this

If you left a donut on the ground the cop would have come down , sorry GrumpyFF !

The cop is a "Queens Marine" They are not that smart!

CBX4627 likes this

Someone should give the officer the advice I was given by my D.C. when I was a probie. He said in all his years on the job he has never seen the skeleton of a cat in a tree. With that said he continued with, we will never put a person at risk to get a cat down from a tree. When the cat gets hungry it will find it's way down.

You beat me to it.One advantage of being retired......lol

post-4072-0-52196200-1368664958.jpg

post-4072-0-37052100-1368664984.jpg

We had a lady kept calling the house phone to tell about a cat in a tree. Used all the know answers to tell her to stop calling but after about 10 calls we said we will be right there. I pulled Engine 58 up blocked the road and put in pump. While my partner was talking to the lady I started to put the deck gun into position and she said to my partner what was I doing. I started to raise up the rpm and told her we were doing what see wanted and geting the cat out of the tree. No more phone calls !

RES24CUE, x129K, grumpyff and 1 other like this

attachicon.gifcatwoman_altart.jpg

Still not climbing that tree?

After a thorough Risk vs. Benefit analysis... get the hell out of my way, I'm climbing that tree... :D

Edited by SageVigiles

Cut the tree...the cat will jump before it hits the ground!!! Lol

bigfitz2004 likes this

The cat will always come down sooner or later... Had one up in a tree a few weeks ago and had to fly the tower to get it down. The thing was soo stubborn and didn't wanna get down. Approach high, work your way down and scare it down the tree.

Been there, done that. When I was young and not always using my main brain to do the thinking I went into a tree to bring down a cat for a very fetching co-ed. We did not have a ladder truck so I went as far as our extension ladder permitted and then it was a free climb.

I went far beyond my comfort level but was ultimately succussful in reaching the cat and bringing it down.

A job, unnessecary, but well done was my only reward.

That's woth at least second base!

The cat will always come down sooner or later... Had one up in a tree a few weeks ago and had to fly the tower to get it down. The thing was soo stubborn and didn't wanna get down. Approach high, work your way down and scare it down the tree.

We recently had a similar call. My Assistant Chief sent the Tower over, made a drill out of it and made a very happy little girl.

If there's no risk, it's always good to get a little positive PR. And members learn something from it, which is always good.

Similarly, a caller spoke to someone about a seperate cat in a tree situation, the person on the receiving end of the call said "Have you ever seen a cat's skeleton in a tree?" That caller then filed a complaint to our Village Manager...