Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Yonkers Engine 306-Last Mack Fire Engine Ever Produced-Now Back In Yonkers

23 posts in this topic

Yonkers Engine 306, a 1992 Mack CF, the actual last one to be produced by Mack, has returned to Yonkers after a spa treatment, and it's looking good! It currently holds the designation Engine 298, and is a reserve piece.

For those Mack fans keeping track, it is chasis # CF688FC 1460. Delivered August 1992 from Mack's Allentown, PA plant.

Photo by me, taken this morning. A very special thanks to ALL those on duty at YFD Station 8.

post-11-0-09628800-1375715528.jpg

Interesting that this Mack and the last Mack CF with a Mack body also went to a NY area Dept. Westbury NY took delivery of the last all Mack built CF in 1984. NY was a Mack state for sure.

Who was the Mack fire truck dealer in the NYC Metro area?

Carl Thuge was the long time salesman for the area I think. And he is still selling fire trucks not sure the company though. Spartan maybe? Not sure of the Mack dealer I know they were built in LI City for a long time.

Edited by spin_the_wheel

Carl Tuege from the 50's till the 80's, a reel stand up guy NOT!

Awesome! A great shot of a great rig!

Thanks Seth for the update and photos. I certainly hope that Engine 298 (Old Engine 306) doesn't end up in the YFD Special Operations Graveyard like the "Restored Truck 5" is currently residing !!! (I hope that someone places this rig (Engine 298) along with that restored Truck 5 in the eventual YFD Muesum (whereever that will be). Both rigs are "CLASSICS"

EXDC203 likes this

R1SmokeEater, I'm glad to see you are back here posting! We were just talking the other day about how we miss you.

LOL! @ R1SmokeEater....

Very happy to see they are restoring this MACK CF!

Carl Thuge was the long time salesman for the area I think. And he is still selling fire trucks not sure the company though. Spartan maybe? Not sure of the Mack dealer I know they were built in LI City for a long time.

Carl sold Macks to NR in the early 1950's. He retired from Hendrickson (Spartan ERV) this spring. Their are rumors that he started selling horses to FD's, he was around that long.

Nothing scarier than watching a 70-80 year old salesman climb a 100' ladder!

ex-commish likes this

Bonus photo of the pump panel:

post-11-0-18402300-1375787838.jpg

sfrd18 likes this

That stripe looks like $hit.

Agree with you R1SmokeEater - I prefer the Deeper Red Color without the White Stripe (but it is a heck of allot better than being rusted). Good Job YFD on getting this classic back into the city (needs to be another YFD Museum piece)

Would have been a lot nicer if they used the same style numbering and left the "Nodine Hill" on the front over the windshield!!! It looks way too bland now... From the look you'd never know just how many fires that rig went to over the years...

x129K and PCFD ENG58 like this

Oh, don't worry yourself too much people. It's going to be easy to restore to it's former glory. One step at a time. After all, it's just a reserve engine, and striping peels off real easy ;)

I know there's a lot of interest, but the fire museum has been a dream for a long time. The frontline of Yonkers FD has way too much on it's plate right now to deal with a museum. So, there needs to be someone with a lot of time and a lot of connections to lobby for a museum from the city, which is more interested in other projects then preserving the history of one of the best departments in the country.

There are a lot of other relics in firehouses across Yonkers. It just takes a lot of work to lobby for the money, build the museum, and find volunteers to staff it. And I wonder what attendance would even be?

91 mack, 61MACKBR1 and FDNY 10-75 like this

I have that truck in model form.

I have one of the old CF models,...I'm sure if I put in the time, I can kitbash a replica of it.

Thanks Seth for the update and photos. I certainly hope that Engine 298 (Old Engine 306) doesn't end up in the YFD Special Operations Graveyard like the "Restored Truck 5" is currently residing !!! (I hope that someone places this rig (Engine 298) along with that restored Truck 5 in the eventual YFD Muesum (whereever that will be). Both rigs are "CLASSICS"

The antique ladder is not an old Yonkers ladder.

The antique ladder is not an old Yonkers ladder.

I am (as well as many others) well aware that the Restored Truck 5 is "NOT" the Orignal YFD Truck 5 that served the City of Yonkers back in the 1960's out of Station 12. It was a restored old USAF ALF Midmount, to which some of the members of YFD put countless hours of their own time in to restore it to look "like" the Old Truck 5.

Beautiful Mack. Wish there was still a good amount of macks in Westchester county FD's, I agree it would look better without the stripe... But it is what it is.

x635 likes this

I took these in June 2013 at A&J Towing and Autobody right after they painted 298 and before it was wet sanded.

if you know how to flip the photos please do so , I posted them in the correct position but it keeps rotating.

post-7750-0-29264700-1378668488.jpg

post-7750-0-53738200-1378668492.jpg

post-7750-0-08657500-1378668519.jpg

post-7750-0-88536200-1378668597.jpg

post-7750-0-42747300-1378668612.jpg

post-7750-0-63663000-1378668635.jpg

post-7750-0-30284000-1378668650.jpg

Edited by 191SH