x635

*Spy Shots* Next Generation Of FDNY Ambulances

35 posts in this topic

The next generation of FDNY ambulances. 2013 Ford F-350/Wheeled Coach

Special thanks to Anderson Fland for the awesome spy shots!

post-11-0-85828900-1378564825.jpg

post-11-0-58288800-1378564841.jpg

post-11-0-48213000-1378564842.jpg

post-11-0-79117600-1378564842.jpg

PEMO3, grumpyff, Capejake72 and 3 others like this

How did/do these trucks work out for FDNY with the four door cab? Any idea on the change in Chassis from Dodge to Ford and four door cab to extended cab? Thanks.

SRS131EMTFF likes this

Why do they cover up the FDNY crests before delivery? What is wrong with Wheeled Coach?

Dodge stopped making crew cabs. These new fords are light duty for FDNY. They placed an order for a few Internationals.

MoFire390 likes this

there was no need for the four door crew cabs, its nice if your tall to put the seat back or to put the back down and rest but no real reason for crew cabs.

there was no need for the four door crew cabs, its nice if your tall to put the seat back or to put the back down and rest but no real reason for crew cabs.

As I understood it, it was to give the rig the ability to carry more equipment. The EMTs and Medics could use the rear seats to store their turnout gear and personal stuff, ALS rigs were going to get a refrigerator to allow them to carry cool saline to administer therapeutic hypothermic treatments, and it was to allow for the transport of additional family members/ride alongs in a safer way then having them ride in the back of the rig.

Edited by EMT111
pcfpr1 and EdAngiolillo like this

That's not an F-350 chassis. It's probably an F-450 chassis. The easiest way to tell the difference visually if you can't read the actual F-tags is to look at the tire/rims. The F-350 has the same sized rim as the E-series chassis while the F-450/F-550 chassis has the larger rims shown in these pictures.

prucha25 likes this

Just wondering how NYC Law applies outside of NYC?

Maybe Bloomberg has undercover investigators that go out of the city to look for things like that :rolleyes:

FFBlaser likes this

Just wondering how NYC Law applies outside of NYC?

Maybe Bloomberg has undercover investigators that go out of the city to look for things like that :rolleyes:

NYC laws wouldn't apply outside of NYC. The unit is probably "covered up" already because it would likely make more sense to do it at the factory or dealer (assuming it's outside NYC limits) than to try and do it road side right before crossing into the city.

FloridaFireTrucks likes this

FireMedic049 glad to see some common sense around lol

Thanks, it's seems to be the one thing I got plenty of these days. Well, that and aggravation. :D

I am told the reason the official decals/logos are covered up is the vehicle is not

being operated by a member of the F.D.N.Y.

The company in NJ that details all the fire apparatus also covers up decals/logos so it

does not apply to just EMS.

They missed the FDNY on the mudflaps. :D

Also, the F.D.N.Y. logo on the siren head in the console.

Dodge stopped making crew cabs. These new fords are light duty for FDNY. They placed an order for a few Internationals.

Internationals? Not too shabby. But FDNY has had most, if not all, their EMS rigs on Superduty's as far as I recall, with the exception being the crew cab dodges. Going to a commercial cab size ambulance is a first. (As far as I know). So my question is, why go International?

Covering up a department name is done a lot on new undelivered units because technically the manufacturer still owns it. If it is being driven from the plant to the city it also stops someone from saying "xyz" ambulance passed by the accident and didn't stop, I'm surprised the word "Ambulance" wasn't covered up.

FloridaFireTrucks likes this

on the topic of NEW Vehicles.... the FDNY has been moving forward with the purchasing of new vehicles.. as a member i can safely say the flow of new vehicles is great.. but here are a few insights...... The 4D Dodge is convenient for the members to ride in and store equipment but the problem still remains The Dodge Motor has not been standing up to the abuse of 24hr work... the NEW Fords have been decent to work with. no major issues to report yet.... the rumor of internationals is actually about 90% true they have been spec. ing a new international but it will be strictly designed for RESCUE Medics. since they carry additional fed. funded equipment... Basically The GOAL of the city is to finally REPLACE all the old 2man stretchers work horses....

Funny, Here in LaCo fire dept is removing all Ford Paramedic squads and buying Dodge. Same with LAFD replacing all Ambulances with Dodge.

Funny, Here in LaCo fire dept is removing all Ford Paramedic squads and buying Dodge. Same with LAFD replacing all Ambulances with Dodge.

do LaCounty LAFD run 24hrs on a street corner? just curious ive never been out there...i know the "rescue squads" have stations they quarter in.. i think??

Yes, they are in quarters. But.. still run 24 hour shifts. A few run 20-25 runs a shift. LAFD in some stations like St 9 runs 3 ambulances 9, 209, 909. 9,209 are ALS while 909 is BLS. While FDNY and LAFD and LaCO fire are busy. I think FDNY is more abused with weather and other conditions. All in all, what ever works use it!

Yes, they are in quarters. But.. still run 24 hour shifts. A few run 20-25 runs a shift. LAFD in some stations like St 9 runs 3 ambulances 9, 209, 909. 9,209 are ALS while 909 is BLS. While FDNY and LAFD and LaCO fire are busy. I think FDNY is more abused with weather and other conditions. All in all, what ever works use it!

In quarters does help. FDNY buses are stationed outdoors. They are running, literally 24 hrs a day. That's gotta take a toll.

pcfpr1 likes this

I agree that housing inside will help. Doesn't some FDNY ambulances have a station? I read that FDNY is building a new multi use station for there ambulance division. I forgot what bourough.

Very few ambulances cover the area around their station. The ones that do cover the area around their stationnare not allowed to wait in their station for a call. A ambulance at my station has a csl 1 block away from the station and as per the divsion they can not be in the station waiting for a call

They don't want crews hanging out at the station. Every time we ask why we get another bs answer.

They don't want crews hanging out at the station. Every time we ask why we get another bs answer.

Seriously? Personally I find that ridiculous. I'm sure you guys have a hefty medical call volume per unit. But to not get to relax in a station on down time is pretty BS to me. Especially if you're working 24 hour shifts. Houston FD houses ambulance and squads in their stations. They stay pretty busy too, but they aren't treated like that. Granted, HFD's EMS is fully incorporated into the fire dept and isn't exactly a separate division as most of the guys rotate shifts on the box.

When I worked in the city in the late 80's/early 90's. The shifts were 8 hours and many units would only sit for 10 minutes on post before getting a call. Do the call, go back on post and do the next one. you never had enough time to go back to a station, even if there was one.