Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD389RET

ARFF-firefighter-EMT - Antarctica Close date: 12/31/2013

10 posts in this topic

I just happened across this announcement, I realize this isnt for everyone, but

I'm sure there are a few adventure seekers who Might be interested....

Qualifications

• Provides Fire/EMS/Crash Fire (ARFF)/hazardous materials emergency response.
  • Is responsible for implementing USAP Fire Prevention Plan and ensuring that emergency response equipment is operational within the guidelines stipulated by this plan and the Disaster Preparedness Plan for the particular Antarctic site/station.
  • High School diploma or equivalent is required
  • IFSAC, Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Firefighter II; Airport Fire Fighter; Hazardous Materials First Responder: Operations and EMT-B required. National Incident Management System (NIMS): ICS 100 and 200 are required.
  • Valid state drivers license is required.
  • Three years previous full time firefighting experience is required; two years volunteer experience or paid on-call time equals one year full time experience.
  • Participants in ongoing training as necessary to remain current on EH&S standards, OSH requirements as well as Fire, EMS and Hazmat.
  • Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods is required.
  • Must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica.
  • US citizenship is required.
  • Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies and equipment up tot he safety regulation maximum.
  • Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors.

Contact Information Katie Herron
katie.herron.contractor@usap.gov
PAE - Antarctic Support Contract
Centennial, Colorado 80112
ph: (720)568-2119
Fax: (303)662-8770
How To Apply careers-pae.icims.com/jobs/

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-jobs-search/1456434-arff-firefighter-emt-antarctica/

Edited by BFD389RET
x635 and sfrd18 like this

I know a few guys who've done this gig. Overall they liked it as a one time experience. The biggest gripe is the pay is not so great for being isolated for months at a time. Some of the scientists also tend to have a rather dismissive attitude towards the "blue collars" at McMurdo, but that's to be expected. Not much in the way of work either, unless fire prevention/inspection is your thing. One of the key points to remember is that once winter sets in, that's it...your there for the duration in 24 hour night until spring rolls in, stuck inside with the same people hour after hour, day after day, week after week in very close quarters. One of my colleagues who's done it likens it to being on a submarine at sea. For all that though there are plus sides for those looking to do something different. Anyone interested PM me and I'll see if I can't get you in contact with someone at PAE directly.

Stay safe and good luck

Bnechis and x635 like this

I know a few guys who've done this gig. Overall they liked it as a one time experience. The biggest gripe is the pay is not so great for being isolated for months at a time. Some of the scientists also tend to have a rather dismissive attitude towards the "blue collars" at McMurdo, but that's to be expected. Not much in the way of work either, unless fire prevention/inspection is your thing. One of the key points to remember is that once winter sets in, that's it...your there for the duration in 24 hour night until spring rolls in, stuck inside with the same people hour after hour, day after day, week after week in very close quarters. One of my colleagues who's done it likens it to being on a submarine at sea. For all that though there are plus sides for those looking to do something different. Anyone interested PM me and I'll see if I can't get you in contact with someone at PAE directly.

Stay safe and good luck

But on the positive side room and board for your period and transportation at "least" are not coming out of your pocket, and sure Isolation is tough but YOU should be able to save some pretty good money... as far as the scientists go, its not much differant then in Many walks of life... might be great life experiance for the right person who's Interested in such a quest, some might see it as a awesome item on one's resume. Maybe If I was 19 or 20 again ,.... oh right never mind we didnt have any nets Much less an Inter one...

But on the positive side room and board for your period and transportation at "least" are not coming out of your pocket, and sure Isolation is tough but YOU should be able to save some pretty good money... as far as the scientists go, its not much differant then in Many walks of life... might be great life experiance for the right person who's Interested in such a quest, some might see it as a awesome item on one's resume. Maybe If I was 19 or 20 again ,.... oh right never mind we didnt have any nets Much less an Inter one...

True room, board and transportation are all covered, transit through New Zealand. And for those so inclined you can join a relatively small fraternity and go to the South Pole...weather permitting of course... :P

Where do I sign up!!! I'm sure when I get home I'll hate the cold. Other then that sounds like a pretty cool job

For you young guys it is a good stepping stone and will be good on a resume for the future for someone seeking to get hired for the Port Authority F/F positions that will open up soon and be permanent positions for years to come.

BFD389RET likes this

For you young guys it is a good stepping stone and will be good on a resume for the future for someone seeking to get hired for the Port Authority F/F positions that will open up soon and be permanent positions for years to come.

Most of all it will Teach you some life lessons......

My best friend is down there right now on the flight line with the Air Force. He's loving it