x635

Goldens Bridge Firehouse Fire (Discussion)

63 posts in this topic

Multiple alarm fire at Goldens Bridge firehouse.

EMTBravo.com Incident Alert can be viewed at: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php/topic/50131-goldens-bridge-firehouse-multiple-alarm-fire-2-24-14/

Heard varying different reports of FF's injured, but nothing confirmed yet. PLEASE DO NOT SPECULATE ON FIREFIGHTER INJURIES, OR POST INFORMATION ON INJURED FF's UNLESS YOU HAVE CONFIRMED INFORMATION (INFORMATION RELEASED BY AN OFFICIAL SOURCE).

So far here's what I have for a department rundown. If anyone can add feel free:

Westchester County:
Golden's Bridge
South Salem
Somers
Croton Falls
Bedford Hills
Katonah
Vista
Mount Kisco (FAST)
Westchester County Dept. of Emergency Services - Battalion 16 (Mutual Aid Coordinator) and County Cause & Origin Team

Westchester EMS

North Salem VAC

Putnam County:
Brewster

Edited by SageVigiles
EmsFirePolice likes this

Did they get all there trucks out?

REST IN PEACE

1. Rescue 24

2. Car 2142 vehicle

3. Car 2143 vehicle

4. Utility 238 (aka Jeep 2...1943 Willys Jeep)

Who has command? It doesn't sound like any of their Chiefs or Officers made it...

Who has command? It doesn't sound like any of their Chiefs or Officers made it...

Croton Falls FD Car 2071 from what it sounds like.

Goldens Bridge FD has had some recent leadership issues, as reported in this article: http://www.lewisboroledger.com/9779/tockstein-resigns-as-fire-chief/

In the wake of Mr. Tockstein’s resignation, the Goldens Bridge Fire Department is dealing with manpower issues and has entered into a temporary agreement with the Croton Falls Fire Department for assistance on fire calls, according to Mr. Brancati.

The Ledger learned about Mr. Tockstein’s resignation after investigating a reported incident at a chimney fire on Fairmount Road in Goldens Bridge on Saturday, Jan. 11, that allegedly led to a shakeup in department staffing.

Quote from: http://www.lewisboroledger.com/9779/tockstein-resigns-as-fire-chief/

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=9443100

LEWISBORO, New York (WABC) -- Fast-moving flames destroyed the Golden's Bridge Firehouse in Lewisboro, New York on Monday.

"The large fire took place on Waccabuc Road in Westchester County. The fire is believed to have started in the garage section of the firehouse where the trucks are stored. Authorities say the smoke detectors at the firehouse were hard wired and the investigation continues into what was being heard. The water tanker that firefighters tried to use to put out the flames was also empty, officials said. One firefighter was treated for minor smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire is not known at this time."

CBS 2 News Reports that the Smoke Detectors in the Fire Department were not functioning...

I think that they should be thankful that the fire broke out while 2 people were there. Had the fire broken out in the middle of the night they would have probably lost all of their apparatus / equipment and their building by the time a neighbor woke up, saw the sky glowing, and reported the fire.

Has anyone else heard anything that can confirm the ABC report that the tanker was empty ? If so, any reason why a tanker would be left that way ?

Authorities say the smoke detectors at the firehouse were hard wired and the investigation continues into what was being heard. The water tanker that firefighters tried to use to put out the flames was also empty, officials said.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/northern_suburbs&id=9443100

CBS 2 News Reports that the Smoke Detectors in the Fire Department were not functioning...

I think that they should be thankful that the fire broke out while 2 people were there. Had the fire broken out in the middle of the night they would have probably lost all of their apparatus / equipment and their building by the time a neighbor woke up, saw the sky glowing, and reported the fire.

I watched a couple videos of the incident and swore I heard smoke detectors sounding in one of them.

Edited by idlewildvfd

The smoke detectors were working and noisy as hell

idlewildvfd and x4093k like this

In regards to the loss of Rescue 24, it seems it just went back into service last year after the cab was almost totaled by a ladder truck that struck and smooshed the front upper portion near the center of the cab while it was parked after a parade. After extensive repair, it was placed back into service. And now this.

Doesn't Goldens Bridge have a new tanker on order from Spartan ERV or 4 Guys?

post-11-0-78557300-1393287114.jpg

From the Port Chester FD Facebook page:

Port Chester Fire Department
Just to share with everyone tonight a few members from the Port Chester fire department along with some members from Purchase and Tarrytown fire departments brought the members of Golden's Bridge that lost so much of there stuff a big piece of the firehouse and three pieces of apparatus, food ,water ,Gatorade coffee just a little something to make everything a little easier they were very appreciative and it was great to get to talk to there members and let them know that they have help from other departments

GBFD111 and EmsFirePolice like this

Doesn't Goldens Bridge have a new tanker on order from Spartan ERV or 4 Guys?

Yes and I heard a bunch of their "in-service" members were out there picking it up today...

SageVigiles likes this

Has anyone else heard anything that can confirm the ABC report that the tanker was empty ? If so, any reason why a tanker would be left that way ?

The tanker was NOT empty. A past chief dumped the water right away into a porta-tank.

I watched a couple videos of the incident and swore I heard smoke detectors sounding in one of them.

The smoke detectors were working just fine

x635 likes this

The tanker was NOT empty. A past chief dumped the water right away into a porta-tank.

Thanks for the correction, ABC also has edited their story to remove any mention of an empty tanker.

idlewildvfd likes this

My heart goes out to the Members & Officers of the Golden's Bridge FD.

Very sad to have such an incident and the loss of Property, Equipment and Apparatus.

THANK YOU to the Member(s) who put their lives at risk to remove Apparatus.

My favorite.... Engine 138 - 1968 Mack CF

post-3-0-88351300-1393317850.jpg

Photo Credit: KVD

How great is it that, with the exception of some everyday ailments that come along with fighting fires, no one was injured. The possible leadership issues, possible empty tanker, possible malfunctioning smoke detection system are all insignificant at this point. I hope each member of the GBFD had a nice meal with family tonight, lets Monday morning quarterback and solve all of the World's problems and GBFD's potential problems another day.

GAW6, PFDR47, gamewell45 and 1 other like this

Gentlemen, I would like to start by thanking anyone who was involved with on scene operations as well as all of you who took the time to bring us refreshments and food during our definite time of need. While I was not on scene, I would like to try to clarify some of the still foggy details.

1.) @RWC130, Engine 138 was successfully removed from the building before any damage was sustained. That goes for E-139, E-140, and T-1 as well. R-24 was badly burned and while it's not been deemed a total loss yet, it's in bad shape. We did lose 2142, a 2006 Chevrolet Suburbam 2500 as well as ex-2143, a 1998 Chevrolet Suburban 2500.

2.) @JM15, Mack your somewhat correct. We do currently have a tanker in the final/paint stages at 4Guys and we were visiting for pre-paint inspection. Myself and 3 others attended. Truck looks phenomenal, once I'm done here I'll post a few pics.

3.) Our tanker was full until, like GBFD111 said, an ex chief deployed the contents into the 1st arriving Porta-Pond. Standard practice is to leave the tanker full in quarters in preparation for an alarm, we're no different, our tanker stays full.

4.) The alarm system was functioning properly and it did activate. The original call was for a commercial alarm. Anyone who has any doubts regarding this fact, pm me your cell numbered I'll be glad to send you the ipage.

RWC130, x635, billy98988 and 7 others like this

Did you guys lose anything that cant be replaced? I know that the amount of history in firehouse's is unbelievable. Hopefully rebuilding will be quick. This cold weather is a real killer for storing apparatus without heat. What was the building constructed with that it appeared to be an exterior attack?

I am very happy there were no serious injuries and wish the brother who had smoke inhalation a speedy recovery. Nothing that was lost can't be replaced and I am sure GBFD will rebuild and continue to serve their residents.

GBFD109, Thank you for taking the time to post updated and correct information

here on EMTBravo!

If the members of EMTBravo can do anything for GBFD please let us know.

x635 likes this

We did lose a few items that are irreplaceable. As many know we lost our '43 Willys. We lost some memorabilia from the Rec Room, however a good majority was able to be recovered. The majority of the things we lost were completely replaceable. We lost approx 30 sets of turnout gear, with the remaining being sent out for testing. HUGE THANKS goes out to car 2443 for recovering our 100+ year old "Golden's Bridge Fire Department" sign from our meeting room. It was on the original firehouse when it opened and is probably one of the most important historic pieces in the firehouse currently.

We are already making progress in leaps and bounds. The restoration company, SoundShore Restorations out of Bedford Hills, has done a phenomenal job and has made the process as easy as possible for us. Their guys have been at GBFD scrubbing, wiping and mopping basically non stop since monday evening. They have assured us that by the end of this business week, that the remaining side of the engine bay will be cleaned to the point that you wont even be able to tell there was a 2 alarm fire in the building. when I left last night, I was able to see the white paint on the ceiling and the nasty puke green walls are back to being the nasty puke green walls. They literally have an army of workers there round the clock. as i counted yesterday, the total neared 40 workers. which doesn't even include plumbers, electricians, engineers and architects.

Currently "the neighbors" are housing our apparatus. We are waiting on a semi-permanant structure being transported from Tennessee, which will house all remaining equipment. For anyone whos familiar, it s the same building Katonah FD had out behind their firehouse while they were under renovation. As it stands now E-139 and Marine 25 are being housed in Katonah, E-138 & E-140 are being housed in Croton Falls Sta. 2 and T-1 is being housed in South Salem.

Also, there was a huge Interior attack initiated at this fire. Operations went exterior only for a small period of time after a partial collapse, however after deemed that it was safe to re-enter, the interior attack was re-established. The Master stream from TL-57 as well as the deck gun on E-149 were utilized after the collapse to darken down the free burning fire. The roof was constructed out of tri-bearing wood trusses. however the engine bays luckily, and unknown to us, had a double redundant walls. the first layer is 4 inch solid concrete block, which covered 2 inch styrofoam insulation board, which covered at least a 12 inch thick structural reinforced poured concrete wall.

Edited by GBFD109
x635, x4093k, GAW6 and 7 others like this

James thank you for keeping everyone up to date on what's going on in the Bridge. I'm glad you also made some clarifications to false information like inoperable smoke detectors and an empty tanker. This is truely a bad time in our history but I know in my heart the department will pull through stronger than ever, between the dedication of our members and the outpouring of help in the overall fire community both near and far. Please continue to keep is all up to date brother.

FF398, x635 and BFD1054 like this

GBFD109, thanks for the info and update here, VERY much appreciated!! I wish you guys the best of luck and as RWC130 said, if we can do anything to help, please let us know. Again, thanks for keeping us up to date.