Welcome to EMTBravo.com

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

spyda308

Westchester County Fire List

178 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Camean said:

I just got a canvassing letter for the village of Scarsdale. The salary on the letter said $37,500. I was shocked to see the pay so low. Does anyone know what top pay is like? I can't afford that big of a pay cut unless it gets a lot better. 

 

If it's a job that you REALLY want, and it's a career that you REALLY want to follow, then the starting pay shouldn't be a consideration.  It's kind of like a hobby or a vacation; You love something, so you find a a way to afford it, and you make it happen.  But, taking on a career in firefighting is is a big decision.  You REALLY need to love the job and love the career, because it is a lot of hard work, physically and mentally.  If you REALLY want to do this, you will have to make the sacrifice, even if it means working side jobs.  I have a part-time job, and sometimes pick up work at another if I need a few extra bucks for something.  So, trust me, you can make it work.

BFD1054 and spyda308 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dwcfireman said:

 

If it's a job that you REALLY want, and it's a career that you REALLY want to follow, then the starting pay shouldn't be a consideration.  It's kind of like a hobby or a vacation; You love something, so you find a a way to afford it, and you make it happen.  But, taking on a career in firefighting is is a big decision.  You REALLY need to love the job and love the career, because it is a lot of hard work, physically and mentally.  If you REALLY want to do this, you will have to make the sacrifice, even if it means working side jobs.  I have a part-time job, and sometimes pick up work at another if I need a few extra bucks for something.  So, trust me, you can make it work.

I appreciate your input, and you're right, I can make it work for a period of time. But my wife and I just bought a house and my second son is on the way. Saying the starting pay shouldn't be considered would just be irresponsible. I've heard that it may be possible to keep my current employment and be a fire fighter, which would solve the problem. If that is not possible then I need to know what long term pay is like. I can't keep my home on 38k. 

 

I will call Monday and try to get a answer on the pay scale. again, I appreciate you're comments. But telling me "you can make it work" without tell me for how long i'll have to "make it work" is not helpful. 

bfd1144 and dwcfireman like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Camean said:

I appreciate your input, and you're right, I can make it work for a period of time. But my wife and I just bought a house and my second son is on the way. Saying the starting pay shouldn't be considered would just be irresponsible. I've heard that it may be possible to keep my current employment and be a fire fighter, which would solve the problem. If that is not possible then I need to know what long term pay is like. I can't keep my home on 38k. 

 

I will call Monday and try to get a answer on the pay scale. again, I appreciate you're comments. But telling me "you can make it work" without tell me for how long i'll have to "make it work" is not helpful. 


If you really want it, you'll make it work, here's the contract google provided if you still have questions.

http://seethroughny.net/contracts/police_fire/VillageofScarsdale_F_2017.pdf

Edited by Ladder44
BIGRED1 and dwcfireman like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Camean said:

I appreciate your input, and you're right, I can make it work for a period of time. But my wife and I just bought a house and my second son is on the way. Saying the starting pay shouldn't be considered would just be irresponsible. I've heard that it may be possible to keep my current employment and be a fire fighter, which would solve the problem. If that is not possible then I need to know what long term pay is like. I can't keep my home on 38k. 

 

I will call Monday and try to get a answer on the pay scale. again, I appreciate you're comments. But telling me "you can make it work" without tell me for how long i'll have to "make it work" is not helpful. 

 

I will apologize for the fact that I was ignorant to your situation and need for income.  I know it can be difficult being a new home owner, and I'm sure it's more difficult with more household dwellers on the way (and Congratulations!).  As far as they pay scale for Scarsdale goes, I cannot offer any info on pay increases, but  can offer some other advice.  Obviously, asking here might get you an answer.  You can also either contact Scarsdale HR or their Local 1394 ( http://www.local1394.org/Contact-Us.html ).  What ever you choose to do, I hope it's the best for you and your family!  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ladder44 said:


If you really want it, you'll make it work, here's the contract google provided if you still have questions.

http://seethroughny.net/contracts/police_fire/VillageofScarsdale_F_2017.pdf

 

A.  You beat me to an answer.

 

B.  I just read he contract, and it looks pretty good.You hear that, Camean?!?!?

Camean likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dwcfireman said:

 

A.  You beat me to an answer.

 

B.  I just read he contract, and it looks pretty good.You hear that, Camean?!?!?

 

Yes. That pay seems absurdly high..i would be very happy with much less. Needless to say I will try my hardest to qualify going forward. Ladder44 and dwcfireman, thank you. Very helpful, I'm glad I came here. 

Edited by Camean
dwcfireman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what a normal shift looks like at the Scarsdale FD? 1 day on 3 days off? Whats the normal schedule for most Westchester county fire departments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2016 at 0:15 AM, Camean said:

 

Yes. That pay seems absurdly high..i would be very happy with much less. Needless to say I will try my hardest to qualify going forward. Ladder44 and dwcfireman, thank you. Very helpful, I'm glad I came here. 


I wouldn't say absurdly high, id say they have a strong union and good working relationship with the town.

Newburgher and dwcfireman like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 17, 2016 at 0:15 AM, Camean said:

 

Yes. That pay seems absurdly high..i would be very happy with much less. Needless to say I will try my hardest to qualify going forward. Ladder44 and dwcfireman, thank you. Very helpful, I'm glad I came here. 

At first you were worried about the pay too low, and now you say its "absurdly high",  you sound vey confused.  This is a type of job you don't want to be confused.

 Not trying to pick on you, its just there is thousands of people that would love to get the call.  Unfortunately most won't.  It took me 5 years and just about aged out.  Its kinda silly and selfish to be worried about the pay when that is something easily figured out with a lil research or time of actual job offer.  

 

Again, im not trying to come after you.  Its just in my experience, im seeing more and more guys come on the job for the wrong reasons and guys that deserve it get screwed.

 

Goodluck if you go foward.

spyda308 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ladder44 said:


I wouldn't say absurdly high, id say they have a strong union and good working relationship with the town.

That or when the median household income is nearly 200K, there's a little cash lying around to pay firemen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tranz426 said:

At first you were worried about the pay too low, and now you say its "absurdly high",  you sound vey confused.  This is a type of job you don't want to be confused.

 Not trying to pick on you, its just there is thousands of people that would love to get the call.  Unfortunately most won't.  It took me 5 years and just about aged out.  Its kinda silly and selfish to be worried about the pay when that is something easily figured out with a lil research or time of actual job offer.  

 

Again, im not trying to come after you.  Its just in my experience, im seeing more and more guys come on the job for the wrong reasons and guys that deserve it get screwed.

 

Goodluck if you go foward.

 

There is no confusion. I know that the starting pay is too low to sustain my current household and the top pay exceeded my expectation. You could argue "absurdly" is a poor choice of words. But to be honest, it was 1:15am and I was tired and  excited by the chance at the career. As I said, I'd do it for much less. It's not about the money as long as  it's enough to keep my home. 

 

You say it's "silly" and "selfish" to be worried whether or not I can support my family. I have to disagree. As far as research, I attempted. It's how I found this site. As far as the right/wrong reasons or who does/doesn't deserves it, I'm not sure why you would even add this in a reply to me. I've never expressed my motivation for this career. If you have issues with people getting on the job, I respectfully ask you leave me out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a canvass letter from Scarsdale. I filled it out and replied yesterday by fax and mail. I was looking around for the Scarsdale FF contract which I found thanks to this thread I have a couple questions maybe someone can clear up..

1) What does the workweek schedule like?

2) How long does proby pay last?

3) What is the pay scale structure?

4) What is work life like in the Scarsdale Fire Department? 

5) After receiving and replying to the canvass letter... what should I expect next? How long?

Any info would be great! Thanks

Edited by Paolo5286

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know how many they're planning to hire? What about the recent Portchester layoffs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2016 at 8:29 AM, Paolo5286 said:

I received a canvass letter from Scarsdale. I filled it out and replied yesterday by fax and mail. I was looking around for the Scarsdale FF contract which I found thanks to this thread I have a couple questions maybe someone can clear up..

1) What does the workweek schedule like?

2) How long does proby pay last?

3) What is the pay scale structure?

4) What is work life like in the Scarsdale Fire Department? 

5) After receiving and replying to the canvass letter... what should I expect next? How long?

Any info would be great! Thanks

Based off the contract I believe this is the pay scale:

Start- $37,500

1st Step- $49,738

2nd Step- $61,976

3rd Step- $74,214

4th Step- $86,452

5th Step- $98,690

 

Also I would recommend getting to a gym and training for the CPAT incase you get to go to it. If you start now, especially training on a stair master with a vest on, if/when you go to the CPAT you should be good.

Paolo5286 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info. I work out at crossfit so I'm confident with the physical part. Is the next step the CPAT?

How long does it take to reach each step? What's the work schedule like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paolo5286 said:

Thanks for the info. I work out at crossfit so I'm confident with the physical part. Is the next step the CPAT?

How long does it take to reach each step? What's the work schedule like?

 

You should still get your hands on a vest and do the stair mill. I'm not sure any particular workout, other than hitting the mill with the vest, will prepare you fully.

 

You'll get a letter if they chose to send you to the CPAT. There are, however, a bunch on the list who have already passed the agility.

 

Good luck.

Paolo5286 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they have a bunch of guys who have alreAdy passed the agility, why would they need to send more?

Paolo5286 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dodff said:

If they have a bunch of guys who have alreAdy passed the agility, why would they need to send more?

I'm thinking they would send more because after the agility, there's the psych eval and an interview. Even if someone passes the agility, they still have 2 additional steps which , from what I understand, are not a walk in the park. They want the best and will exhaust the pool of candidates to do so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paolo5286 said:

Thanks for the info. I work out at crossfit so I'm confident with the physical part. Is the next step the CPAT?

How long does it take to reach each step? What's the work schedule like?

 Each step is a year. And trust me a vest and the stairs should be your best friend by the time you go to the CPAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, robert benz said:

guys and gals,  stop worrying about the pay  and steps  and work charts.  Focus on one thing at a time.  FAIL cpat  and you wont have to worry about anything else. Come to the test prepared or don't bother coming,  there are 300 people behind you on the list that will take your spot!!

Smartest thing said on this thread so far... I guess we are all anxious to know the next steps. Thanks for all the insight. If anyone gets a letter for the CPAT, let us know. Thanks and good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long after replying to the canvass letter, should you expect to hear a response for the CPAT? Thanks.

Edited by Paolo5286

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Paolo5286 said:

How long after replying to the canvass letter, should you expect to hear a response for the CPAT? Thanks.

 

In the Civil Service world, patience is key my friend.

 

Beleive me, you want to check your mail box everyday. But just go about your normal business and be patient. 

 

As Mr. Benz stated (he would know), be prepared for each step or don't even bother. You passed the written, terrific. Now get yourself as prepared as possible for the CPAT. But again, be patient. 

For the record, i am not a career fireman lol. But I've been through the process. If you are patient and prepared, you will be fine. Best of luck to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an fyi   the practice test for CPAT    was this past Friday and Sat..  if you didn't get a notice to go  you probably didn't make the cut this time around.

FF1 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, robert benz said:

Just an fyi   the practice test for CPAT    was this past Friday and Sat..  if you didn't get a notice to go  you probably didn't make the cut this time around.

 

The return by date on the letter was July 28th. I'm sure they are aware this is after the practice test. Can it be there is more than one practice test? 

Paolo5286 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2015 at 2:44 PM, trollman200 said:

Did anyone take the CPAT the other week for the county? I believe this is the last round off that list?

 

Usually Westchester offers the CPAT twice a year, in February and then again in August. Like i said in an earlier post, there are already a fair number of people within the 100s who took the CPAT in February. Just stay healthy, in the gym, and taking tests and you'll do fine.

Edited by Goose
Paolo5286 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you want the job, I mean REALLY WANT the job, stay in shape study all the time, get your EMT and take every test you can (NY, CT) don't put all your eggs in one basket, but if you do everything in your power to prepare and put yourself in the best position you could possibly be in, paired with studying your a** off and taking every exam that is announced within 50 miles of your residence, you will eventually get the nod.

 

On the contrary, if you take 1 or 2 tests and sit on the list crossing your fingers, then complain when one guy gets sent to the CPAT and you didn't. you may find yourself waiting for a very long time.

 

At the end of the day, you need to ask yourself "How bad to I really want it?"

 

If you want it bad enough, you will do everything you can to get this career

Edited by FF1
Morningjoe, JP59 and Paolo5286 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2016 at 5:50 AM, Goose said:

 

Usually Westchester offers the CPAT twice a year, in February and then again in August. Like i said in an earlier post, there are already a fair number of people within the 100s who took the CPAT in February. Just stay healthy, in the gym, and taking tests and you'll do fine.

The names on the Westchester County Fire Academy website do not match any names that are on the list for the exam held on March 25, 2015. That would lead me to believe that the canvass letters sent out by Scarsdale would be for the Spring class. CPAT, interview and mental review would be held this fall. 

Am I correct in my thinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Paolo5286 said:

The names on the Westchester County Fire Academy website do not match any names that are on the list for the exam held on March 25, 2015. That would lead me to believe that the canvass letters sent out by Scarsdale would be for the Spring class. CPAT, interview and mental review would be held this fall. 

Am I correct in my thinking?

No. You are wrong in thinking.

 

that was the class that just graduated.

 

stop over thinking and stop being a     detective. Wait for the call and do your best 

JP59 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paolo5286 said:

The names on the Westchester County Fire Academy website do not match any names that are on the list for the exam held on March 25, 2015. That would lead me to believe that the canvass letters sent out by Scarsdale would be for the Spring class. CPAT, interview and mental review would be held this fall. 

Am I correct in my thinking?

 

Canvass letters don't typically go out that early. It's likely for the fall class.

 

FF1 is right, you're over thinking this. Just forget about it and go about your daily life.

JP59 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Members

    No members to show