Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LineCapt

What's Up With Squuuaaad?

16 posts in this topic

I notice when 60 Control dispatches Squad 15, they say it extending the word, sounds like they are saying Squuuuaaaad. One of the Facebook Incident pages even types it like that when they have a job.

Is there anything behind that? Otherwise, it's kind of immature and unprofessional. I doubt 60 Control would do it intentionally, as the entire county can hear this and would wonder, like me, why it's said the way it is. And Greenville FD is very professional and I doubt they would intentionally tolerate that either.

I think it is just a catch phase that was said one time and just kinda caught on. If you say squad out load, you will kinda drag out that middle part.

Is it unprofessional, yes. Is it the worst thing that can be on air, no. I agree with velcromedic, hearing guys get retones 3 or 4 times is not good.

I'm still trying to figure out why there is still a Greenville FD. Or for that matter Fairview or Hartsdale. It seems many of their calls requires mutual aid from one or the other, If ever there was a case for consolidation it would be these three folding in with White Plains. And, yea yea yea it probably has something to do with some antiquated BS laws that nobody ever seems able to change so this is just a throw away comment.

With regard to Squaaaad, maybe the dispatcher is a fan of Two and a Half men and this is a variation on Squaaaaaaab if you're familiar with that episode.

Monty likes this

Everyone makes fun of Squad 15 for being a squad when its really an engine, and there are a few other weird and different things about that truck compared to most companies around here. So, the dispatchers have a bet going to see who could hold out squad the longest when dispatching Squad 15, so they always say it like that.

I have been out of Westchester for several years now, therefore I don't really have a horse in this race.

However, your post intrigued me to say the least.

Are you talking factual information, hearsay or just plain BS?

You say that "everyone makes fun of Squad 15 when it's really an engine." Who is "everyone?" a couple of jollies who are jealous that they are not on the job?

In your vast fire knowledge, do you know what is needed on a rig to be considered a "squad?" Perhaps according to County standards, Squad 15 DOES actaually fall into the Squad category. How do you feel about Yonkers Squad-11? I mean after all, that just looks like an engine, no?

I like when you said "there are a few other weird and different things about that TRUCK compared to most companies around here." This statement has me really confused...is it an engine, a squad or a truck?

Also, what's weird or different about it?

Now, all of that aside and onto your claim about the dispatchers at 60 Control having a bet. Wow, that's just a real immature, ballsy (no, just immature) statement to make.

If this is correct, it is very unprofessional and the dispatchers who are involved should be ashamed. From my experiences with 60-Control, they are a very professional group of people.

In closing, I could care less what a rig is designated as. Just so long as the members on that rig are fully competent and trained to do the task at hand.

Edited by BFD1054
SmokeyJoe likes this

Probably one of my bigger mistakes to post on this.

Everyone made fun of horse drawn rigs instead of man pulled rigs.

Same with steamers over hand pumps. And mechanized ladders over mechanically raised ladders.

Sounds like silly stuff. These guys are firemen on a rig. The end. Want to be taken seriously, then act the part.

As for calling 60 unprofessional... I feel that is about the lowest thing that can be said about anyone in the public service field. It does NOT apply here. Save that word for when it truly applies. You may not have to wait too long.

SageVigiles likes this

Everyone makes fun of Squad 15 for being a squad when its really an engine, and there are a few other weird and different things about that truck compared to most companies around here. So, the dispatchers have a bet going to see who could hold out squad the longest when dispatching Squad 15, so they always say it like that.

The Squad was in service when I was at 60 and I do not recall any "bet".

Silent Responses by many now concerning this subject speaks a thousand words - Hmmm :huh:

BFD1054 likes this

The Squad was in service when I was at 60 and I do not recall any "bet".

So all that really establishes is that you either weren't in on it, or that it started after you left.

So all that really establishes is that you either weren't in on it, or that it started after you left.

Ok

Remember585 likes this

I still work here and know nothing about any bet. Get your facts straight and don't post things in a public forum that are not correct and could strain relationships between people and/or get people in trouble.

DES630, darock73, x4093k and 4 others like this

No Betting Allowed...WE LIKE GREENVILLE...And We Love THE SQUAD!