Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

How do you fuel your apparatus?

27 posts in this topic

I got this idea from another forum.

How does your department fuel it's apparatus? Do you use your own pumps, the municpal pumps, or go to a public fuel station?

My concern with the departments that use public fuel stations, like Texaco or Mobil, etc is in times of disaster, such as a blackout or major storm. Will these public fuel pumps have enough for us on a consistent basis, and if so, be able to run even if power is down?

Also, does your department carry a list of 24/7 fuel stations, and ones that are capable of running during a blackout? Does your department provide 60 Control an updated list with the locations of these facilities in your community?

We currently use a local station in town. In the event that power is down for a prolonged time, we can use the towns DPW pumps which has aux power back up.

Rye uses the municipal pumps at the city garage. Each piece of apparatus has its own fuel key that goes into a specific slot "F1, F2, etc." so the city can keep track of usage.

Let me tell you it is a fun time snaking Ladder 26 (tiller rig) in and out of the pumps when its winter and you have to drive through a maze of plows!

Katonah uses its own Diesel Pump on the property, we can use the highway or PD in Emergency PD has a Generator Highway dosent. KFD has its own Generator so Diesel is a non issue, Gas would be as all 3 chiefs cars and Mini Attack are Gas. Also no stations in Katonah has a Generator to run pumps I do not know of any that do in this area.

We use the Village DPW pumps, and as per one of the DPW employees - our backup is syphoning the extra fuel out of the DPW trucks in the lot.

my dept. uses our village dpw pumps and a local gas station as a back up. We also have a diesel pump at our substaion which is out of town for the trucks up there and if we have a call up that way and need to fuel up. We have a good relationship with the village dpw since one of our members works there. our local squad uses our towns dpw pumps.

We use the fuel system at the North Salem Highway Garage. Each vehicle has a special "key" that fits into the switch (diesel or gas) then the driver uses his/her Firehouse alarm PIN so they know who fueled what vehicle (Each "key for the pumps is unique to each vehicle.

We use the fuel system at the North Salem Highway Garage. Each vehicle has a special "key" that fits into the switch (diesel or gas) then the driver uses his/her Firehouse alarm PIN so they know who fueled what vehicle (Each "key for the pumps is unique to each vehicle.

Sounds like the exact same system croton uses.

Sounds like the exact same system croton uses.

Croton--Croton Falls That almost makes sense?

South Salem uses the pumps at JJHS I believe.

Somers has a diesel pump at the headquarters at Lincolndale

We use the town tanks. Every Vehicle has a "GasBoy" key for it --you cannot put the wrong kind of fuel in the vehicle and it has a gallonage limit per use. Asdie from the FD--the Ambulance corps, school dist, highway, sheriff,and town use it. Works out great--and can be hooked to a generator.

Pleasantville uses the DPW's pumps

Sleepy Hollow uses the village's fuel system down at the DPW garage

Mamaroneck village use it's village DPW pumps

I'll take this thread one further. How would your department refuel during extended operations?

I know of one department that has capabilities to do this. Arlington (Town of POK) has a refueling vehicle that does go out every now and then for this purpose. It also gets called out for mutual aid.

We have in the past called an Oil Company at extended operations, we have Called Robinson and we had Heritage Fuel come out.

Hmm--We would call in a fuel company--but we have been fortunate enough to not operate that long. The rule here is fill it when it gets 3/4 or below. If I am not mistaken the rigs are or were designed to run 8 hours at 3/4 load on a tank of fuel. I could be wrong though.

I go to the Sunoco on Crossbay and Pitkin...

Buchanan FD, PD, Cortlandt EMS, NYSP & possibly Montrose & Verplanck FD's use the Hendrick Hudson School District bus garage pumps. The different agencies have agreements with the school district & all drivers are given a pin #. Each rig also has its own "gas key" to help record which rigs were fueled and how much fuel they took.

Thats a good question!

Down in PC each company gets 1 key that remains on the rig, and a select few of the drivers get another key. Each of these keys have a computer chip in them id'ing the unit/user. When they go into the pump at our dpw the milage is then entered and the fuel is then dispensed.

Briarcliff has there own pump from what I can remember Ossining uses Village DPW pumps Also used by other village agencies. Tarrytown uses Village pumps. But on the sublect of scene refueling I have seen some use village public works vehicle.

Is everybody ready to go to low sulfur fuel next year ?

Archville uses the Mobil immediately south of the Tappan Zee Bridge on Route 9 in Tarrytown. It's very convenient because most Archville calls are along the Route 9 corridor and it's a straight line back if a call is dispatched whilst connected to the pump.

At Brewser Polo Club Fire, the Putnam County Fuel truck came and filled up the tower ladders and a few tankers. Truck belonged to the county highway department.