Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Firefighters Trapped During Public Open House

23 posts in this topic

The link below is to a video clip where firefighters were doing a demonstartion for the public...and became trapped and on-fire during a public open house event.

http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/downl...iningMishap.wmv

What in the world where those guys thinking about. There was fire to the floor and they crawl in???? Those aren't fire entry suits we wear. Is there any write up on what happened or why they did what they did, I looked and couldn't find anything on FFclosecalls. From here it just looks like stupidity.

I have seen that over and over and I am STILL amazed at the sheer idiocy of the guys on that line!

The part that gets me the most is watching the back up man - follows his nozzleman right in! NO hesitation!

Unbeleiveable....................

Were they trying to inpress the crowd or somthing, i think that was one of the dumbest thing i ever saw

An open house with children (almost visible in footage) watching as these idiots try and "season?" their gear.

I am still amazed at how many Departments still fail to realize that there is a standard for this known as NFPA 1403.

A live burn (under any circumstances) should be held with the highest regard for the safety of those involved.

Absolute stupidity is what I saw in that clip.

Those guys are lucky to still be alive.

was this a filming for that show JACK***? Who would let someone even attempt to go into that. with all of the happenings over the years where firefighters have gotten hurt/killed during training someone really is liable for this. In NY the live burn class instructs you about hazards involved with live burns as well as how to properly recognize hazards of live burns,in the fire service it is unfortunate that we all learn from other mistakes and this is now one to learn from..they had balls but NO BRAINS!!!

Edited by hudson144

WOW...that's all I can say

I've seen this clip before somewhere on the web and it actually had sound to it. The worst part of the video was the reaction by the kids. They were all screaming and crying when the firefighters were pulled out and they were on fire. What could they be possible be thinking when they did this, wait a minute they probably don't know how to think. I would love to be able to see more to this clip. Just to see how they went ahead and tried to explain what had happened to the crew, I can only imagine..........I hope those children in the crowed were not scared for life........

that is just plain retarted i mean have a lil common sense

I to have seen this clip before, It just goes to show you no matter what--s*** can happen so be prepared what about the last guy no bunkers was he going in too???

Utterly ridculous, what was going through their heads, i mean really come on here.

That was absolutely ridiculous. I really wonder what the hell they were thinking. Guess they were trying to impress the croud with pure dumbness

That video has been around for quite some time. That incident occurred in southern Maryland in the burbs of DC in the late 90's. Not the brightest moment, 2 inexperienced fresh firefighters on a line, with "leadership" watching. Tunnel vision can happen at anytime.

Remember...

Smart firefighters make dumb mistakes....

Dumb firefighters make stupid mistakes....

Always strive to be smart cause dumb things may not hurt or kill you.

If anyone has the ability to get this on file and can save it for me and either email it or send it to me on disk let me know. I can't find my copy of it I had on a CD.

I can't really see too well...but from what it looks like they open the door, find extremely high fire and heat conditions, and advance the charged line in UNOPENED. It doesn't look like they did anything to supress the fire and heat inside before entering (correct me if I'm wrong). I almost think it was less tunnel vision and more showing off for the crowd. Either way, a horrifying video.

Stay safe.

The way this video was explained to us during an OSHA class by a state instructor, (and I have no idea if this is true or not), was that these guys had practiced this scenario with dry lines & no fire for some time. So much so that when it came down to show time, they went in with the line uncharged just as they had practiced. If you look close enough, you can see that the line is not charged when they begin their advance.

What gets me is the point ALS made. Most likely those are rooks on the knob, but the way everyone else just watched them go in like it was a walk in the park. When you think things in your dept. are in bad shape, just take a peek at this.

Be safe.

ALS,

If you want just that clip, you can right click on the link and select "save link as" or select "Save" if when you click on it instead of just opening it. If you are still having trouble PM me.

-Jared

what are they actually demenstrating in the video? they just kinda crawl in and then stop like a foot in, is that like "hey folks, this is how fast stuff can go wrong in this job." also love the guy with not bunker pants running in to help. always wear all your gear.

what are they actually demenstrating in the video? they just kinda crawl in and then stop like a foot in, is that like "hey folks, this is how fast stuff can go wrong in this job." also love the guy with not bunker pants running in to help.  always wear all your gear.

You didn't know that guy had Nomex jeans on? I hear the work really well too because all the chiefs in my area wear them all the time.

Edited by GoshenFD

Wow, it is amazing that those guys aren't dead. Even the little kid you could hear in the audio knew what they were doing was dumb.

He was crying and yelling, "get him out!, get him out!"

If a little kid can see how dumb that is then the superiors watching surely should have known, as said before, it's a wonder those guys are still alive.

Hollywood wannabees...just showing off for the crowd. Poor leadership, bad image for the rest of us too, cause now you know all of those people are saying, "man, firefighters are careless and reckless. Theyre supposed to keep us safe??"

Kinda looks like my old dept, actualy. :)

Studid is..... as stupid does.

Forest Gump.