Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

No Such Thing as Routine - Dumpster Fire w/ LODD

27 posts in this topic

A 33 year old Firefighter was killed last night in Calumet County WI while fighting a fire in a dumpster. The Fire Department was notified via the PD of the Fire, as crews were engaged in Firefighting when i violet explosion occured killing the one firefighter and injuring 9 others. One firefighter is listed in crital condition and the 8 others had non life threatening injuries. Neighbors said that the explosion was strong enough to rock their homes. An investigation is underway. As we are aall very much aware of any incident might end up with bad results. In dumpsters you never know what may be in the dumpster. Be safe out there!

jack10562 and x635 like this

Sounds from your account that there might have been a 20lb. propane cylinder in that dumpster. Perhaps we should start with just dropping a pony length of 3" into the dumpster and filling it up with water. As the age of recycling becomes more prevalent it is increasingly harder for the public to recycle correctly and they just dump all kinds of hazardous substances into dumpsters, which results in us (firefighters) becoming exposed if the dumpster is ignited. Godspeed with the courageous Calumet firefighter, and prayers and condolences to his family.

Sounds from your account that there might have been a 20lb. propane cylinder in that dumpster. Perhaps we should start with just dropping a pony length of 3" into the dumpster and filling it up with water.

Or hit it with the damn deck gun from a safe distance if you have any doubts about it; the only life hazard is US.

The explosion took place in the lot of Bremer Manufacturing, a foundry specializing in aluminum castings;

http://www.bremermfg.com/default.htm

The article in the local Gannett paper:

http://www.thenorthwestern.com/article/20091230/OSH0101/312310075/1987/Firefighter-killed-4-others-injured-in-explosion-at-Bremer-Manufacturing-in-Calumet-County

Photos of the scene:

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20091230&Kategori=APCNEWS&Lopenr=912300806&Ref=PH

post-1020-12621904728.jpg

Edited by efdcapt115
FiftyOnePride likes this

CHEMICAL AND PHYSICAL PROPERTIES: AL

* Physical data

1. Atomic weight: 26.98

2. Boiling point (at 760 mm Hg): 2327 degrees C (4221 degrees F)

3. Specific gravity: 2.70 at 4 degrees C (39 degrees F)

4. Vapor density: Data not available.

5. Melting point: 660 degrees C (1220 degrees F)

6. Vapor pressure at 1284 degrees C (2343 degrees F): 1 mm Hg

7. Solubility: Insoluble in hot or cold water, concentrated nitric acid, and hot acetic acid; soluble in hydrochloric acid, sulfuric acid and alkalies.

8. Evaporation rate: Data not available.

* Reactivity

1. Conditions contributing to instability: Contact between aluminum powder and ignition sources may create a severe explosion hazard. Because it is strongly electropositive, aluminum corrodes rapidly in contact with other metals.

2. Incompatibilities: Aluminum is an extremely reactive metal. Contact between aluminum and acids, caustics, combustible materials, chlorinated hydrocarbons, and strong oxidizers should be avoided.

3. Hazardous decomposition products: None reported.

4. Special precautions: Aluminum may corrode in contact with other metals.

* Flammability The National Fire Protection Association has assigned a flammability rating of 1 (slight fire hazard) to aluminum (dust or powder).

1. Flash point: Data not available.

2. Autoignition temperature: Data not available.

3. Flammable limits in air: Data not available.

4. Extinguishant: Do not use water, carbon tetrachloride, or halon to fight fires involving aluminum. Control small fires with sand, talc, or sodium chloride. Dry chemical or carbon dioxide extinguishers are also acceptable. Fires involving aluminum should be fought upwind from the maximum distance possible. Keep unnecessary people away; isolate the hazard area and deny entry. Containers of aluminum may explode in the heat of the fire and should be moved from the fire area if it is possible to do so safely. If this is not possible, cool fire exposed containers from the sides with water until well after the fire is out, but be careful not to get water inside containers. Stay away from the ends of containers. Firefighters should wear a full set of protective clothing and self-contained breathing apparatus when fighting fires involving aluminum.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/aluminum/recognition.html

x635, FiftyOnePride, JBJ1202 and 1 other like this

Update-News conference held this afternoon:

"Calumet County Sheriff's Department Captain Paul Rusch said that it appears that a container which held metal byproducts of the manufacturing process was burning in the dumpster. When firefighters went to put out the fire with water, a chemical reaction occurred which resulted in the explosion."

http://www.wfrv.com/mostpopular/story/One-volunteer-firefighter-killed-8-injured-in/r7H-ypa0ZUOw5UOxmyDq5Q.cspx

LODD firefighter identified: Steven Koeser/age 33

Critically injured firefighter upgraded to stable.

I agree...Beware of Dumpsters, but also look at the "flip side" of this "what's in a dumpster" thread:

Ever have a suspicious car fire in the rear of a strip mall?...I'll be willing to bet you have. Rear of the strip mall is a favorite place to dump and burn the klunker.

Afterward, check the line of dumpsters behind the mall. There's a really good chance you'll find the accelerant container complete with fingerprints in one of those dumpsters.

And it ain't just for car fires, the guy that poured the gas wants to get rid of the can asap. Thence it goes in a nearby dumpster.

jack10562 likes this

Let's not forget that there's no such thing as a routine vehicle fire, a routine fire in a private dwelling ... etc. Everytime we go out the door we may be subjected to unknown and unexpected hazards. Never forget that no matter how well we follow the rules (PPE properly donned, correct sized attack lines properly supplied, proper ventilation completed, etc ...) things can go horribly wrong. Keep your eyes and ears open, be alert to hazards when on inspection duty, non - fire related emergencies, etc. If you see something that looks wrong, say something to the boss, get the situation corrected before there's a fire.

helicopper likes this

First off, RIP FF Koesar. Speedy recovery to the injured members.

Secondly, I happen to work sanitation. It never seizes to amaze me as to what we find in dumpsters. As I ride around the Village while working, I make note of a lot of things. I am fortunate to volunteer in the same town as I work. I get to know hydrant locations, occupancies, hazards, etc. I have notified our Fire Marshall of many issues and hazards on several ocaasions.

As another member said, there is no such thing as a routine fire. We can never know the full extent of a fire and can never takes things for granted. If we allow ourselves to become complacent, we will get hurt. PPE is a must at any fire, even dumpster fires. You don't know what's in that burning dumpster, so why leave the scba on the rig?

Stay safe and always keep your eyes and ears open!

This incident really concerns me. I cannot recall ever hearing or reading of an incident of this type; an exploding dumpster that killed a firefighter. We've all seen BLEVEs in our time. I also recall one incident where firefighters were cutting open the side of a Silo with a partner saw, hosing down the blade to prevent sparks when the particulate matter inside the silo exploded, blowing the cut section out and killing a firefighter.

But this incident is unique. Naturally with hindsight it's easy to say the department involved should have been aware of the occupancy; an aluminum sand casting plant, that should have raised red flags with regard to the contents of the dumpster.

Do you know the industrial sites within your response area; what they manufacture, and what they would be disposing of as a biproduct of their manufacturing? Sure if you have a furniture plant in your district you would be aware of the fire load and chemical hazards within the plant, but how many of us have the awareness to think that the disposal areas outside the plant could be time-bombs just waiting for water to be added to create an explosion hazard?

In my time, the thing that most concerned me was auto-exposure from a dumpster to the structure itself. I mostly thought if the contents contained something dangerous it would be latex paint cans, or possibly spray paint. We had numerous dumpster fires, and pulled the engine close enough to extinguish the fire with a 100' trash line. But now, after this, I think I wouldn't do it anymore.

What about a gasoline can in the dumpster, like Bill pointed out? Or a discarded propane tank, that somebody just dropped in the garbage in the dark of night?

I really think this incident should be given GREAT attention by all fire departments. The NIOSH report should be poured over by everyone. And immediately, ALL dumpster fires should be approached as if they are ALL capable of exploding, and causing death or injury to firefighters.

How about this; if there is no exposure issue with a burning dumpster, why not just automatically create a hot-zone, and do not attempt to extinguish it? I mean, what are we actually "saving" anyway? A dumpster? Certainly not the contents. IMHO, let it burn out, and stay away.

This fatal incident should be given high priority and put all departments on notice to NOT continue business as usual. Dumpsters have become EXTREMELY hazardous, and ALL dumpster fires should be treated as haz-mat incidents from now on. For God sake, this thing went off like an IED!

Edited by efdcapt115

Capt, its funny you mention latex paint & spray paint's. These, along with aersol cans are a big concern to myself and others who work Sanitation.

We have a couple auto-repair/paint shops in our Village. We've had issues with the way they dispose of these products. If we discover them, we contact our Foreman so that he can reach out to the owner/occupant.

Capt, its funny you mention latex paint & spray paint's. These, along with aersol cans are a big concern to myself and others who work Sanitation.

We have a couple auto-repair/paint shops in our Village. We've had issues with the way they dispose of these products. If we discover them, we contact our Foreman so that he can reach out to the owner/occupant.

So you're saying your municipal sanitation empties dumpsters? I thought dumpsters were pretty much exclusive to private carting companies. If a company violates municipal code regarding what they can or cannot dispose of, are they subjected to penalty?

FiftyOnePride likes this

This incident really concerns me. I cannot recall ever hearing or reading of an incident of this type; an exploding dumpster that killed a firefighter. We've all seen BLEVEs in our time. I also recall one incident where firefighters were cutting open the side of a Silo with a partner saw, hosing down the blade to prevent sparks when the particulate matter inside the silo exploded, blowing the cut section out and killing a firefighter.

But this incident is unique. Naturally with hindsight it's easy to say the department involved should have been aware of the occupancy; an aluminum sand casting plant, that should have raised red flags with regard to the contents of the dumpster.

Do you know the industrial sites within your response area; what they manufacture, and what they would be disposing of as a biproduct of their manufacturing? Sure if you have a furniture plant in your district you would be aware of the fire load and chemical hazards within the plant, but how many of us have the awareness to think that the disposal areas outside the plant could be time-bombs just waiting for water to be added to create an explosion hazard?

In my time, the thing that most concerned me was auto-exposure from a dumpster to the structure itself. I mostly thought if the contents contained something dangerous it would be latex paint cans, or possibly spray paint. We had numerous dumpster fires, and pulled the engine close enough to extinguish the fire with a 100' trash line. But now, after this, I think I wouldn't do it anymore.

What about a gasoline can in the dumpster, like Bill pointed out? Or a discarded propane tank, that somebody just dropped in the garbage in the dark of night?

I really think this incident should be given GREAT attention by all fire departments. The NIOSH report should be poured over by everyone. And immediately, ALL dumpster fires should be approached as if they are ALL capable of exploding, and causing death or injury to firefighters.

How about this; if there is no exposure issue with a burning dumpster, why not just automatically create a hot-zone, and do not attempt to extinguish it? I mean, what are we actually "saving" anyway? A dumpster? Certainly not the contents. IMHO, let it burn out, and stay away.

This fatal incident should be given high priority and put all departments on notice to NOT continue business as usual. Dumpsters have become EXTREMELY hazardous, and ALL dumpster fires should be treated as haz-mat incidents from now on. For God sake, this thing went off like an IED!

The first paragraph was a Toluene tank in Phoenix, AZ. A common training video to illustrate tunnel vision. I respect Chief Buunacini while chief they shared the hard lessons they learned that resulted in line of duty deaths. This incident and the Supermarket fire that killed Bret Tarver immediatly come to mind.

On to the dumpster fire. I think you hit the nail on the head here Capt. when you say how the department and company must know their district. Knowing the products and the intracies of what goes on can guide the strategies and tactics for responses to the facility. And the strategy may very well have been to let it burn. Some of the sugestions of flooding or using the deck pipe all probably could have caused explosion because of the contents. Knowing you area and preplanning to often are taking a back seat to all the other things on our plate.

Edited by 16fire5
efdcapt115 likes this

The first paragraph was a Toluene tank in Phoenix, AZ. A common training video to illustrate tunnel vision. I respect Chief Buunacini while chief they shared the hard lessons they learned that resulted in line of duty deaths. This incident and the Supermarket fire that killed Bret Tarver immediatly come to mind.

On to the dumpster fire. I think you hit the nail on the head here Capt. when you say how the department and company must know their district. Knowing the products and the intracies of what goes on can guide the strategies and tactics for responses to the facility. And the strategy may very well have been to let it burn. Some of the sugestions of flooding or using the deck pipe all probably could have caused explosion because of the contents. Knowing you area and preplanning to often are taking a back seat to all the other things on our plate.

Thanks for adding to, and bumping up this topic Lieu. I always thought since this LODD happened, we never paid enough attention to it.

FiftyOnePride likes this

Capt,

Since I have gotten promoted I definatly read a lot more of these fatality reports. THe IAFF pushed hard for NIOSH to do these investigations so we could all learn from them and the contributing factors. I read one the other day that I recommend for anyone with the time.

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/reports/fire/documents/fmloddhouston09.pdf

SRS131EMTFF and efdcapt115 like this

RIP firefighter Koesar. My condolences to his family and his department.

Capt,

Since I have gotten promoted I definatly read a lot more of these fatality reports. THe IAFF pushed hard for NIOSH to do these investigations so we could all learn from them and the contributing factors. I read one the other day that I recommend for anyone with the time.

http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/reports/fire/documents/fmloddhouston09.pdf

It goes away from the dumpster explosion LODD, but it's a double LODD with a very comprehensive report. A very worthy direction for this thread imho.

This added report from 16fire5 is a must read for all firefighters. Everytime I read one of these reports, it gives me knots in my stomach; but it is an absolute neccesity that all brothers read this report very carefully. From the read it seems to me HFD is extremely advanced in their technology (the GRACE system), fireground tactics weren't perfect but decent, the IC did things pretty well; but a couple of tragic easily made mistakes led to two dead firefighters; an experienced Captain, and a probie who did ten years in the military, and this was his first....and last fire.

PLEASE READ:

SFMO Fire Fighter Fatality Investigation Case FY 09-01

Excellent addition to the thread; take the time and click that link bros.

SRS131EMTFF likes this

We had a similar incident that exposed about 12 or so firefighters to hazardous chemicals at a dumpster fire last summer, thankfully everyone was geared up properly and the exposure did not cause serious injuries to any one including the homeowners and neighbors.

You never know what people throw into dumpsters. When cleaning out a garage, add spray cans, paint, tires, pesticides. Then you get the guy next door who see's the dumpster and throws a few things in. There is no such thing as routine. Full PPE and Scotts for dumpsters. Just like everything else. Approach with caution.

So you're saying your municipal sanitation empties dumpsters? I thought dumpsters were pretty much exclusive to private carting companies. If a company violates municipal code regarding what they can or cannot dispose of, are they subjected to penalty?

Hey Capt, my appologies as i just saw this question.

Yes, my municipality empties probably 99% of dumpsters in the Village. They include a school, deli's, restaurants, nail salon, auto body/paint shop's, woodworking shops, metal shops, pool cleaning company and the list goes on.

Some dumpsters are picked up by private carting, but very few in my Village. Private carting is more popular in bigger cities.

Business ownsers would have to pay for private carting, where to my knowlegdge, there is currently no additional charge for dumpster pick-up by the Village.

As for penalties, we've gone round and round with that for years. Unfortunately, the Code Enforement "officer" is not nearly as pro-active as they could be. Even when things are brought to theyre attention, penalties/fines are rarely issued.

If we see something we dont like in a dumpster (or can for that matter), we'll tag it, leave it and notify our foreman and let him deal with it.

Executive Summary

In December 2009, a 33 year old male fire fighter died and eight fire fighters, including a lieutenant and a junior fire fighter, were injured in a dumpster explosion at a foundry in Wisconsin. At 1933 hours, dispatch reported a dumpster fire at a foundry in a rural area. Eight minutes later, the initial responding crews and the incident commander (IC) arrived on scene to find a dumpster emitting approximately two-foot high bluish green flames from the open top and having a ten-inch reddish-orange glow in the middle of the dumpster’s south side near the bottom. The IC used an attic ladder to examine the contents of the dumpster: aluminum shavings, foundry floor sweepings, and a 55 gallon drum. Approximately 700 gallons of water was put on the fire with no affect. Approximately 100 gallons of foam solution, starting at 1 percent and increased to 3 percent, was then put on the fire, and again there was no noticeable effect. Just over twelve minutes on scene, the contents of the dumpster started sparking then exploded sending shrapnel and barrels into the air. The explosion killed one fire fighter and injured eight other fire fighters, all from the same volunteer department.

Contributing Factors

•Wet extinguishing agent applied to a combustible metal fire.

•Lack of hazardous materials awareness training.

•No documented site pre-plan.

•Insufficient scene size-up and risk assessment.

•Inadequate disposal/storage of materials.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/reports/face200931.html

This reminded me of the time I responded to a dumpster fire with a new dept I had just recently joined. I was only in for about a few months when we had the call. It was a dumpster near a strip mall in the village, nothing big, just a Subway, bank, excercise place and offices. We rolled up in the first due engine and when we got out I was the only one in FULL PPE including mask. I grabbed the nozzle and went towards the fire to see a captain and a chief in street clothes peering over the edge of the dumpster to see what was in it. When I approached they looked at me like I had lobsters coming out of my ears and said a few smart a** comments about being masked up. I looked at my captain and asked if he knew what was in every dumpster? He just looked at me. I sincerely hope that since that fire they have become smarter in their tactics and training and realise the importance of using full PPE at every call regardless of the type.

My condolences to the fallen brother and his family and I hope the injured have all recovered 100% since the incident. Everyone stay safe and keep your eyes and ears open.

Expect the Unexpected. It may have been a propane tank in the dumpster. RIP BROTHER