Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MESS11FOREVER

Why call it a wetdown when no water allowed

33 posts in this topic

No disrespect to any company.. But ill never understand why departments call it a "wetdown" when theres no water at all.. :D

How come no departments flow water???

I was in tarrytown,ny for my first westchester wetdown.. Great time,Great food,Nice looken rig (eventho im not a fan of ALF) ASI shirts looked awesome,nice lil dedication ceremony they had for the tower,there fireman were great gave us a tour of the rig and a beautiful site of the tappan zee bridge in the backround..

Nanuet fd (department 9) arrived in tarrytown with an engine and there new brush unit.. I guess they were so used to throwing water at rockland county wetdowns,

they pulled up with 1 guy on the deck gun ready to shoot water but were quickly shocked to find out there was no water allowed.. thats poor!! :(

No disrespect to any company.. But ill never understand why departments call it a "wetdown" when theres no water at all..    :D

How come no departments flow water???

I was in tarrytown,ny for my first westchester wetdown.. Great time,Great food,Nice looken rig (eventho im not a fan of ALF) ASI shirts looked awesome,nice lil dedication ceremony they had for the tower,there fireman were great gave us a tour of the rig and a beautiful site of the tappan zee bridge in the backround..

Nanuet fd (department 9) arrived in tarrytown with an engine and there new brush unit.. I guess they were so used to throwing water at rockland county wetdowns,

they pulled up with 1 guy on the deck gun ready to shoot water but were quickly  shocked to find out there was no water allowed..  thats poor!!  :(

I agree

Also why do they keep the truck in the firehouse?

A wetdown is for towns to come in and christen the new truck.....In NJ and Orange/Rockland Cty. Wetdown's are alot different.

In New Jersey we throw water from beginning to the end....Towns hook up to Hydrants, some set- up ladder pipes, Sometimes Oradell comes in with the famous foam trailer.....

Some great wetdowns were West Paterson's Quadruple wetdown...Trucks just kept coming in...Also Saddle Brook engine 1...Towns were lined up for hours....

The same applies for Orange County.....Chester's i believe 917 wetdown.....12 towns came in at once and 9 towns before that...all at 1 time....now thats a wetdown.

So my question is why No Water?Also why do you keep the truck in the firehouse?

1st wetdown i ever went to was in the great neck area (nassau co.) - no idea which dept - but someone got over zealous with a master stream and knocked the red dome off the roof light on a piece of apparatus...

I’ve heard it is because departments are afraid of getting someone hurt. I cant say I totally disagree with the sue happy society we live in today. All you need is for that one person to get hit with a misguided stream and go down…..But I wish we could still flow water.

$$$$$$$ Liability and Insurance Issues.

I Wish it was Like Jersey & Rockland Styles here.

Edited by ONLOCATION

Arent wetdowns supposed to be the old truck christening the new truck? Thats how I remember it anyway, where the truck you are replacing is ceremoniously pulled out of the station and moved aside, than it wets down the new truck as it backs into quarters. Guess its different everywhere. :D

Jonesy

A wetdown is just ther ter, that people have com accustomed to using for celebrate the arrival of a new truck. Many departments don't do the traditional christening and transfer of water from one tank to another anymore or a variety of reasons. Some departments call it a housing now instead of a wetdown. Like many terms we use in the fireservice, the traditional meaning has given away to something else. Plus too, the term is so tied into the celebration of showing off a new truck, why change it.

Why was it poor that they arrived and found out there is no water?

There are numerous reasons as to why many departments followed suit and went to a drydown. Numerous injuries, which doesn't always have to do with lawsuits, but with insurance costs and denial to pay for the injury when they have happened at such events made many rethink what they were doing.

How about professionalism. I've seen many of these years ago go from what was suppose to be simple tradition to what looked like a kids water fight but with guys in druken stupors. The public isn't all that far away at many of these events. Just like society evolves sometimes so does the fire service and for once a not all that important tradition evolved with it. There are better ways to dedicate a truck into service and I've seen several different ways all over the country.

One department does the bottle of champagne routine.

Another, has members "pushing" the rig back into quarters as they did with hand drawn apparatus from yore.

Another has the bell from its very first motorized apparatus and each apparatus the in-service date is engraved on it and transfered during their dedication.

Edited by alsfirefighter

Arent wetdowns supposed to be the old truck christening the new truck?  Thats how I remember it anyway, where the truck you are replacing is ceremoniously pulled out of the station and moved aside, than it wets down the new truck as it backs into quarters.  Guess its different everywhere. :lol:

Jonesy

I have been to numerous wetdowns over the years. I have seen things from a downright drowning of the rig to the champagne bottle to even a priest applying holy water on the rig. I believe it is down to personal preference and safety. I have seen fights after someone getting hit with the water also.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

I agree... It's personal preference. If a department indicates that water is welcome, they know what they're going to get, and what can go wrong.

I was at a wetdown a few years ago for a mutual aid department of Millwood's where there was a little bit of water nonsense that went on. No one got hurt, no apparatus was damaged, and the public really didn't see anything more than the local fire department having fun (ie; there wasn't tons of drunken idiots or flowing beer).

I've also seen it go terribly wrong where a deck gun gets aimed toward the ground by accident and gravel from the parking lot sprays the side of the brand new rig like a sand blaster.... Not cool.

Personally I like a little water action (but make a point that everyone knows that no deck guns, master streams, smooth bores are permitted)... I also like the transfer of water from one rig to another and pushing it back into the station too.

Any way you shake it, there have been enough good AND bad wetdowns over the years, that based on experience, you should be able to plan one (wet or dry) that works out properly.

There are still a few Westchester departments that carry on the traditional wetdowns.

A wetdown is just ther ter, that people have com accustomed to using for celebrate the arrival of a new truck.  Many departments don't do the traditional christening and transfer of water from one tank to another anymore or a variety of reasons.  Some departments call it a housing now instead of a wetdown.  Like many terms we use in the fireservice, the traditional meaning has given away to something else.  Plus too, the term is so tied into the celebration of showing off a new truck, why change it.

ALSFIREFIGHTER i understand what your saying.. Those are good reasons not to flow water cause of the insurance purposes and people getting hurt..

But i think if your gonna have an event where a department recieves a new rig and theres no water allowed that it should be called a "dedication" not a wetdown..

I agree... It's personal preference.  If a department indicates that water is welcome, they know what they're going to get, and what can go wrong.

I was at a wetdown a few years ago for a mutual aid department of Millwood's where there was a little bit of water nonsense that went on.  No one got hurt, no apparatus was damaged, and the public really didn't see anything more than the local fire department having fun (ie; there wasn't tons of drunken idiots or flowing beer).

I've also seen it go terribly wrong where a deck gun gets aimed toward the ground by accident and gravel from the parking lot sprays the side of the brand new rig like a sand blaster.... Not cool.

Personally I like a little water action (but make a point that everyone knows that no deck guns, master streams, smooth bores are permitted)... I also like the transfer of water from one rig to another and pushing it back into the station too.

Any way you shake it, there have been enough good AND bad wetdowns over the years, that based on experience, you should be able to plan one (wet or dry) that works out properly.

I also agree with this......There has been accidents and sure things happen.....At Fairlawn's Rescue wetdown....Garfield's rescue/engine 3 came in used the deck gun and 2 handlines....When the guy opened the line there was too much pressure and the nozzle which was on straight stream hit him right in the face and his cut his chin wide open.

I like the fact of having water, thats just my opinion, no offense to any towns that don't.

If there is water...more towns come and it makes the wetdown more enjoyable.

walter

Given the location of Tarrytown's event, and the way it was set up, it was a no-brainer going in that there wasn't going to be any noise or water. I must have missed Nanuet's arrival.

Personally, I don't go to wetdowns to get wet. I go to take pictures of apparatus. Couldn't care less if water is flowing or not, but if the ability to do so makes more companies show up, then so be it.

The numerous people who bust my chops about when am I going to go digital (and they KNOW who they are!) .....that's one of the reasons I don't. Can't justify spending the money on the kind of camera I want, only to risk having it get drenched the first time out. Seeing just that happen to a fellow buff last summer didn't help matters any, either.

I've worn out Orange County, and most of North Jersey. Would LOVE to hit a couple of wetdowns in Westchester and Long Island to see how they stack up.

Im not trying to bash anyone here, but to me, with all these stories of people getting hurt at wet downs, I think SOMEONE let things get a little out of control.

Thats why I like the simple wet down we did in Long Island. The old truck sat next to the new one and just had a small stream, idle pressure only (Not 150 psi!!!) and wet down the new one as it backed into quarters. Than the dept chaplain did a small prayer, past chiefs put various tools into place, and we ate tons of food and had a good time.

I like the idea ALS brought up, about the dept pushing the truck in to quarters. Does anyone know what depts do that? Just curious.

Jonesy

It is not about the truck it is the BEER for you to get wet down....

Yeah, it was a tad chilly that day, but the confined space, and close proximity to the Seniors' Center, made the "traditional" activities not possible. I'm not complaining a bit.....the shirts were free, and the food was out of control!!! In the five years I've been going to these things, I've NEVER seen a spread like that.

As for the firefighters pushing the new rig into it's bay, I believe that happens in Pennsylvania.

I like the whole priest and holy water thing, just seems apropriate.

Bedford Fire Department will be having a wet down - pig roast on 5/6/06 starting at 1400 hrs - ? 

A combination party for our Seagrave "Engine 109" and welcoming home our restored Antique Seagrave "1927 Suburbanite".

ALL ARE WELCOME :)

Bedford 84 i would love to get out there for your wetdown. Like i said numerous times westchester has alot of nice rigs id like to take pictures of and add to my photo albums

Unfortunately in my area on that day is when our wetdown season begins..

I Love Wetdowns for alot of reasons the noise the waterfight's the food the beer now and then :) I attended 1 wetdown that was no water (due to water restrictiions ) in Ridgefield NJ For engine3 I love how some of the dept's combine with others to "attack" in tandem As for this year Let the water flow :)

I Love Wetdowns for alot of reasons  the noise the waterfight's the food the beer now and then :)  I attended 1 wetdown that was no water (due to water restrictiions ) in Ridgefield  NJ For engine3 I love how some of the dept's combine with others to "attack" in tandem As for this year Let the water flow :)

Vodoly good post! I agree 100%.. Let the new rig sit by itself away from everybody so nobody gets hurt and let whatever town that was invited wet it down . If theres no water at least take the rig out of the bays so photos could be taken.. :)

My first and only wet down so far was hastings engine 45 about a year ago and there actually was water involved, not from a hose but kids did throw water balloons at it.

I went to one in Conneticut up here where i live and there idea of a wetdown was everyone bring a water pistal and water ballons and have a big water fight.

LOL a ambulance Corps did that @ a Wetdown i attended was funny hearing the Phaser's Going and seeing the ambo come in The classiest thing i ever saw was Butler NJ Fire Co bring a bottle of bubblie to the Englewood Cliff's NJ wetdown in 2004 They flowed water too Here's a taste of some Fort lee 2005 wetdown

I went to one in Conneticut up here where i live and there idea of a wetdown was everyone bring a water pistal and water ballons and have a big water fight.

Harwington's??? I heard something like that up that way not to long ago.

Below is a link to some of the photos for our wetdown. And yes is was wet. We put the truck in the middle of our back parking lot and people kept a good distance. The other company in our house brought their 2nd due engine to do the honors. It only last about 30 seconds and was followed by speeches. (Be brief, be entertaining, and be seated). Of course the focus was just to get people together with some good, no great, food and drink which was prepared by the Ladies Aux. and local restaurants. We also had T-Shirts made up for the event. The gathering was planned by one of our members who runs an event planning company. The pictures are complements of his website. We hope to have our own website updated in the next few days. I guess that sort of went on the back burner for several months.

http://www.showtimeproductionsct.com/patrolwetdown.htm

Christian Andersen

1st LT

Cos Cob Fire Police Patrol

I went out to Oceanside,long island for what they called a "wetdown" on March 26,2006.. NO water,No selling of mugs or t-shirts,no sirens,no food,the new engine was in the firehouse and only 1 town i believed showed up which was point lookout with there mack scope... :(

I had a good time anyway.. I shot there 3 pierce engines and there old mack cf,along with point lookouts mack..

Anyone have info on east rockaway having something for there new rig????

Thanks for reminding me of the ambulance wet down I had Vodoly :D

I was capt of our squad and we got a new Medtec abulance, and I surprised the squad by getting our ALS certificate from DOH as well so the three of us that were ALS could actually practice it without calling the county medics. Well, when the rig came in we took it down to the park in town and had a BBQ with the two rigs side by side. We invited all of the squads and had a good turnout. Twords the end, I had the county medic, myself, and our mayor hold out a 1000 bag of NS and we squirted down the new ambulance. Everyone had a great time and it started a new tradition in my county. :D

Jonesy

Some interesting pics can be taken if a wet down is well atteneded....Here is a pic from a few years back at Elmont LINY's wet down for their new Tiller...on the right, a rare pic indeed as the only 3 tillers in service on Long Island were there and posed for this pic.....Left to Right Glencove's 1987 Seagrave, Freeport's (not in service at the time of pic) 2004 Seagrave and Elmont's 2003 Spartan/LTI........and they did flow water that day.