Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

"Storm of the Decade" Approaching?

68 posts in this topic

The NWS-Albany office held a conference call this afternoon regarding the weekend’s weather event.  The following is the information obtained:

* All computer models are agreeing that the Hudson Valley area will feel the effects of a major east coast storm between early Sunday morning through Monday evening

* This will be a long duration and a very intensive weather event.

* Forecasts call for 2 to 3 inches of rain with the heaviest period being Sunday afternoon into Monday morning

* There is a potential for flooding along the Wappingers Creek and tidal flooding along the Hudson River

* The Hudson River is project to rise 2 to 3 feet above its current levels

* Strong sustain winds (30-40 mph) out of the SE with gusts to 50 plus mph.  Winds will gradually shift to out of the north by Monday.

* Down sloping may occur which may cut down on precipitation amounts in certain areas.

* Areas above 1500’ will see heavy wet snow of 2 to 3 inches

* NWS has a strong concern with down power lines and trees toppling over

* If the storm travels just 50 miles south of the current projected path, our area will receive all snow which could be between 1 and 2 feet.

* The next weather conference call will be 1:30 tomorrow.  We will release any new or additional information at the conclusion of that call.

With the weekend approaching, what is everyones thoughts on this storm? Will it really be as bad as they are predicting? Who is gearing up already for pumpouts, MVAs, generator assistance runs, and of course, the endless medical calls. Seems they all wait til the weather is bad to get sick/hurt.

And, historically speaking, we all know how the Weather Service operates.

Call for storms, everyone to brace - Nothing

Call for a dusting - Blizzard

Call for "a mixture of rain/snow/sleet/hail/cats and dogs, and even ferrets" - ????

It also figures, it has to come and rain on my parade, and be at its worst on my birthday on Sunday.

Figures, huh?

snow would be awesome!!!!!

?????

You on crack?!?!!?

As much as I love the snow, I think the time/season for it has come and gone!

Bring on those 70-85* sunny days!!!

Alls I heard was the terrential rains and flooding was going to be an issue for our area, with high wind gusts during and after the storm. Probably going to have to pump a few basements...

?????

You on crack?!?!!?

As much as I love the snow, I think the time/season for it has come and gone!

Bring on those 70-85* sunny days!!!

Amen to that! The Snow season is OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, I have a flight back to school sunday late afternoon out of Laguardia.... I'm assuming thats going to get delayed or cancelled

Edited by bibbles10504

I'm hoping its all a lot of hype and not a lot of weather-- I've got Days on Campus on Sunday and Monday in Manhattan, and touring the campus isn't going to be much fun in torrential storms.

I am predicting about 20 mins of rain then sunshine for the remainder of the day. biggrin.gif

who knows what is to come. i guess just keep an eye on the Weather Channel and not the local news stations. Sam Champion or Al Roaker might get a little excited and say that frogs and chipmunks are gonna be falling from the sky or something.

Ground is saturated and streams are swollen thanks to this week's rain. I say bring on the rain. I've got my ark ready and the animals are waiting. This translates into, I'm ridding a bus for 16 hrs and I'll be in the Bronx.

Saying snow here, I hope it it rain, rather have flooding than 2 feet of snow

Red cross already put us on stand by

all I can say is they're saying 1' to 2' of snow in Syracuse... and i'm NOT A FAN!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO SPRING???

Global Warming?? What??

Edited by mikeinet

Guess I better put away the Bunker Boots and get out the

good ole Rubber Hip Boots!

Yea, I have a flight back to school sunday late afternoon out of Laguardia.... I'm assuming thats going to get delayed or cancelled

You must be flying Jet Blue! biggrin.gif

You must be flying Jet Blue! biggrin.gif

haha nope... USAir, maybe i'll be a little more lucky.... Although, I enjoy working at the FD much more than i do sitting in calc class rolleyes.gif

haha nope... USAir, maybe i'll be a little more lucky.... Although, I enjoy working at the FD much more than i do sitting in calc class  rolleyes.gif

With US Air you have a better chance of getting there and a better chance of not seeing your luggage!!! mad.gif

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Eeek! Good thing I have PeaPod on the way to make sure we have rations! We're going to bunker in here!

And, historically speaking, we all know how the Weather Service operates.

Call for storms, everyone to brace - Nothing

Call for a dusting - Blizzard

Call for "a mixture of rain/snow/sleet/hail/cats and dogs, and even ferrets" - ????

Speaking as a trained meteorologist (that's what I did for about 10 years prior to getting into ARFF and 911 dispatching) - I challenge you to sit in a forecast office someday before a storm of this magnitude & complexity hits, and see what actually goes on & all of the hard work involved - it's not nearly as easy as you & many other critics out there would think - the forecasts they make are only as good as the science & research behind them. We all know that weather research has a long way to go...considering the weather is something that in the end is controlled by God, the forecasters really don't do too bad. cool.gif

Edited by emt301

what the hell, this always happens. the week before i come home my dept gets hammered with calls, then when i am home not a single call. stay safe out there and hopefully for your guys sake it blows over with out too many calls so you can all get some sleep, instead of being at pump outs.

I better go run out and buy some milk, eggs, bread & water and just to be safe a shovel and some salt!!!!

Man the SEFU's

Guess I better get ready to deal with the Yonkersites that think 911 restores your power magically! I am sure this goes on everywhere...but when the same people call everytime and you have already explained it to them...you may become a bit short! Last year's heavy rain and wind storm was no fun to work! So many wires down jobs...just kept coming in and in and in...

Not looking forward to another one of those days!

But then again better to be dry than in your ark!

I HATE this weather. I work Sundays 7a - 11p and EVERY time there is a nasty old storm its on a Sunday. I'm either worried about slipping off the road or floating away. All i can say is that im freaking annoyed, enough is enough! Looks like i better pack an extra uniform, meh.

Guess I better get ready to deal with the Yonkersites that think 911 restores your power magically!  I am sure this goes on everywhere...but when the same people call everytime and you have already explained it to them...you may become a bit short!  Last year's heavy rain and wind storm was no fun to work!  So many wires down jobs...just kept coming in and in and in...

Not looking forward to another one of those days!

But then again better to be dry than in your ark!

You're right....same everywhere. They think you can magically restore their power, and that you can magically end a traffic jam on Interstate 84 when snow & poor driving skills have caused numerous fender-benders. Gotta love it !!! wink.gif

Edited by emt301

i hope i get some overtime!

as a vollie...i hope i actually get to go to work!!! i need the $$$!!!

Just the thought of the possibility of this storm hitting is to depressing for me! My girlfriend is just departing Miami for a cruise to the Cayman Islands and Jamaica with her friends...what the hell am i doing in NY lol?

I am so sick and tired of this weather, it can't seem to make up its mind, where is spring for crying out loud?

After working an 8 hour day, then a 14 hour night the night before St. Pattys, i am totally done with the snow! The $$$ is incredible, but it is so annoying at the same time. As for the rain, it is my least favorite of any weather! Mainly because i am usually working sanitation and let me tell you that it is not fun, nor safe, to be on the back of a truck in this type of weather (rain/high winds)!

If this storm does hit hard tomorrow however, i truly hope i get the O.T. call...Sundays are double time cool.gif . Forget chasing pump-outs and other crappy calls with the FD, call me in for the Highway Dept. and show me the money lol!

The Sound Shore area is in for some deep stuff. No pun intended.

The north County will see local waterways swell up. Hudson River is expected to see 2-4 foot tidal swells. What does this mean? DO NOT PARK AT CROTON-HARMON STATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am praying we only get rain and that when I am suppost to get off tonight at 0100, I actually do!!

Time to get the camera ready for some great flooding pictures. Especially if the river floods 2 - 3 feet.