Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfirefighter484x

"Storm of the Decade" Approaching?

68 posts in this topic

I just bought a new Samsung S730 and i will try to get some acton shot's and video from mamaroneck. Here we go again.

wonder if any more body parts are gonna float up?

lol

Hopefully people stay off the road and no one gets sick. That way i can stay dry and write the 15 page research paper i have due Tuesday...

Speaking as a trained meteorologist (that's what I did for about 10 years prior to getting into ARFF and 911 dispatching) - I challenge you to sit in a forecast office someday before a storm of this magnitude & complexity hits, and see what actually goes on & all of the hard work involved

Just poking a little fun emt301!! tongue.giftongue.gif

The only job I know of that you can still get paid at after being wrong many times!!

Just poking a little fun emt301!!  tongue.gif  tongue.gif

The only job I know of that you can still get paid at after being wrong many times!!

This is true...meteorologists & stock brokers (except stockbrokers make a lot more money !!!) rolleyes.gif

I just bought a new Samsung S730 and i will try to get some acton shot's and video from mamaroneck. Here we go again.

Hey Vinny - just keep in mind - cameras and water DO NOT MIX! (Kind of like rigid pulse-oximiters and infants, lmao)

All in all, i hope this is all a bunch of hype. I know the OT opportunities will be coming in from both the county and transcare, but i just want a nice, q***t (i don't dare type the word) Sunday at home.

Hey Vinny - just keep in mind - cameras and water DO NOT MIX! (Kind of like rigid pulse-oximiters and infants, lmao)

All in all, i hope this is all a bunch of hype. I know the OT opportunities will be coming in from both the county and transcare, but i just want a nice, q***t (i don't dare type the word) Sunday at home.

When do you work overtime at 60???!!!! laugh.gif

Everyone stay safe out there.

Raining here now hope it staying rain LOL

rain rain go away come back some other god dam day cool.gif going to a wedding tomorrow i am pissed won't be able to smoke a cigar in hall guess i am going to have to stuff face instead Everyone be safe

Did anyone else hear of this thing possibly, once again - possibly, turning into a category 1 hurricane off the coast of CT?

I did! wink.gif

Got my overtime today.....good day to sleep in and relax tomorrow

To all those who have to respond to anything be safe and watch the overhead wires, branches...etc

Did anyone else hear of this thing possibly, once again - possibly, turning into a category 1 hurricane off the coast of CT?

No. Storm warnings, but no hurricane warnings

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE UPTON NY

900 PM EDT SAT APR 14 2007

.MARINE...

WITH STORM GATHERING STRENGTH AS IT APPROACHES OVERNIGHT...EXPECT

CONDITIONS TO DETERIORATE QUICKLY. CURRENTLY OBSERVING LIGHT WINDS

ACROSS THE WATERS AS HIGH PRESSURE RIDGE SLOWLY MOVES EAST.

THEN...GALE WARNING CONDITIONS EXPECTED BY SUNDAY MORNING WESTERN

OCEAN/NY HARBOR AND WESTERN LI SOUND...AND STORM WARNINGS A

COUPLE OF HOURS LATER FOR EASTERN OCEAN/LI SOUND/AND ASSOCIATED

BAYS AS WINDS WILL BE QUITE STRONG. THESE STRONG WINDS RESULTING

IN TIGHT PRESSURE GRADIENT AS 980 HPA APPROACHES AND POTENTIAL

MIXING IN CONVECTION WITH 50 TO 60 KTS ALOFT. THESE STRONG WINDS

PERSIST THROUGH SUNDAY AND INTO SUNDAY EVENING AS THE LOW NEARS.

RIGHT NOW...THINKING NAM THE CLOSEST TO LOW PRESSURE MOVEMENT

BASED ON SUPPORT FROM HPC/GGEM/ECMWF AND ENSEMBLE DATA. LOW GOES

ACROSS LONG ISLAND SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY..MAYBE INTO SRN

CT...BEFORE SLOWLY PULLING AWAY. GFS MOVES THIS LOW TOO FAR TO THE

NORTH IN MY OPINION. THERE WILL BE A PERIOD OF LIGHT WINDS DURING

THIS TIME FRAME...THEN NORTHERLY WINDS PICK UP BEHIND THE LOW

MONDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

WAVE WATCH III SEAS FORECASTS LOOK GOOD AND CAN EXPECT UP TO 14 TO

18 FEET OVER THE OCEAN...AND 7 TO 8 FEET COULD BE REALIZED ACROSS

PORTIONS OF THE LI SOUND. SEAS GRADUALLY SUBSIDE MONDAY THROUGH

MONDAY NIGHT.

&&

.HYDROLOGY...

THE POTENTIAL FOR 2-4 INCHES OF RAINFALL POSSIBLE FROM LATE

TONIGHT INTO MONDAY WITH A LIKELIHOOD OF FLOODING OF URBAN

AREAS...LOW LYING AREAS...SMALL STREAMS...AND POTENTIALLY SOME

LARGER RIVERS. WITH VERY HEAVY RAINFALL SUNDAY FLOODING OF LOW

LYING AREAS AND URBAN AREAS MORE LIKELY. FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FOR

THE ENTIRE AREA 12Z SUNDAY THROUGH 08Z MONDAY.

&&

.TIDES/COASTAL FLOODING...

SOME MINOR TIDAL FLOODING MAY BE POSSIBLE SUN MORNING ON WESTERN

LONG ISLAND SOUND...AS FAVORABLE E-NE WIND FETCH INCREASES TO AROUND

15 KT. THEN EXPECTED TIDAL DEPARTURES WILL CAUSE COASTAL FLOODING

SUNDAY NIGHT. WITH MODEL GUIDANCE 3.0-4.0 FT ACROSS WESTERN LI SOUND

AND AROUND 2 TO 3 FT ELSEWHERE. FROM A HISTORICAL

PERSPECTIVE...DEPARTURES OF THIS MAGNITUDE IN COMBINATION WITH

INCREASING SPRING TIDES DUE TO THE NEW MOON ON THE 17TH WOULD CAUSE

COASTAL FLOODING AS SERIOUS AS THAT OF THE COASTAL STORMS OF MAR

1993 AND OCT 1991. WE WOULD NEED A 4 FOOT DEPARTURE IN NEW YORK

HARBOR AND 5.5 FEET ON WESTERN LONG ISLAND SOUND TO MATCH THE

DECEMBER 1992 NOREASTER. WITH HIGH CONFIDENCE OF AT LEAST MDT AND

POSSIBLY MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING SUN EVENING...WE HAVE UPGRADED TO A

COASTAL FLOOD WARNING AT THIS TIME. THEREAFTER...WILL HAVE TO KEEP

AN EYE ON TIDES AS THE STORM BASICALLY SITS OVERHEAD. WINDS WILL

LIGHTEN AT THAT POINT...BUT HOW MUCH WATER DRAINS OUT IS THE

QUESTION. WILL WAIT ON SUBSEQUENT TIDE CYCLES.

&&

rain rain go away come back some other god dam day cool.gif  going to a wedding tomorrow i am pissed won't be able to smoke a cigar in hall guess i am going to have to stuff face instead Everyone be safe

For the happy couple rain is actually good luck...so I am sure they are happy about it.

Holy Sh!t ohmy.gif

No rain as of 01:24 hrs in Poughkeepsie...lets hope it stays that way. Also, as per Accuweather.com it looks like on and off rain for Western Putnam and the Poughkeepsie area all day tomorrow. Looks like the business end is going to miss us and stay closer to the coast

Edited by 66Alpha1

as of 01:55 hrs, its startin to drizzle.

It just raining a lot up here and I'm gonna go out side and do my Lieutenant Dan impersonation.

Looks like it's eased up out here. I really want to know why Meterologists/Weather Forecasters, etc. refer to these things as Rain Events, or Snow Events. George Carlin did a little thing on this a number of years ago, wondering if he could get tickets to that.

Why not just call a spade a shovel here?? It's not a Rain event, or snow event, IT'S A #%&*ING RAIN STORM!!!! I heard this weathergirl on CBS 2 this morning call it a rain event like three times in less than 30 seconds. I wanted to toss the remote through my TV.

It's real simple. Instead of, for the greater New York City area we are looking at primarily a rain event, and the suburbs will be in the grips of a frosty snow event.

Say it like this. New York City will be seeing rain, the suburbs will be seeing snow. It will be primarily rain for the city, and snow for the burbs. How hard is that?? Stop trying to make yourselves sound so intelligent that you have to use the word event to describe a @#$^ing nasty storm.

Rant finished, have a nice day.

Edited by JBE

Here in New Fairfield, CT we've had nothing but rain for the past 12+ hours and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon. I'm getting the 3/4 boots ready for pumpouts...

Not sure how this is the "storm of the decade", it's f---ing raining out, big deal.

Looks like it's eased up out here. I really want to know why Meterologists/Weather Forecasters, etc. refer to these things as Rain Events, or Snow Events. George Carlin did a little thing on this a number of years ago, wondering if he could get tickets to that.

Why not just call a spade a shovel here?? It's not a Rain event, or snow event, IT'S A #%&*ING RAIN STORM!!!! I heard this weathergirl on CBS 2 this morning call it a rain event like three times in less than 30 seconds. I wanted to toss the remote through my TV.

It's real simple. Instead of, for the greater New York City area we are looking at primarily a rain event, and the suburbs will be in the grips of a frosty snow event.

Say it like this. New York City will be seeing rain, the suburbs will be seeing snow. It will be primarily rain for the city, and snow for the burbs. How hard is that?? Stop trying to make yourselves sound so intelligent that you have to use the word event to describe a @#$^ing nasty storm.

Rant finished, have a nice day.

Man oh man...first we've got xfirefighter484x going after us, & now JBE...us meteorologists are taking a beating here !!!! blink.gif

Edited by emt301

Nuttin but rain here so far, saying still snow after midnite

Not hearing me complain....rain shovels eaiser than snow.....melts faster and cleaner too (but yes I agree pump outs suck!!!!) dry.gif

I hear it is getting bad in the Sound Shore area with a lot of flooding calls. Speaking to an operator at 60-Control he said they have over 500 calls pending.

Its snowing here now, Flooding wont be a problem here but snow could be

Ya'll stay safe out there

301. believe me, I am not bashing meteorological types in any way. I tend to subscribe to Mr. Carlins theory that using a word, or more words to make something sound more important than it really is, is unnecessary. That, and adding more words to something important when sometimes all you need is one straightforward word.

I will post another thread about this in the Lounge, as so not to hijack this thread.

I am impressed at just how high the Bronx River and the Hutch reached. blink.gif

This is nutz!

Poughkeepsie is rediculous right now!