Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

"Bug Eyes" On Police Cars?

33 posts in this topic

Recently, I've been noticing more and more Police Traffic Enforcment cars with these "bug eyes" on the top.

I assume they are some type of radar system, but what is it and how is it unique or different?

[attachmentid=2684]

post-11-1178551880.jpg

They're to help near-sighted drivers parallel park...

Actually, they are the cameras for the plate readers installed by many departments. To answer the next question, the plate reader is able to scan license plates in parking lots, on highways, or local streets and compare them (in real time) to the DMV and other databases to identify stolen vehicles, other wanted vehicles, vehicles with suspended registrations, etc.

Actually, they are the cameras for the plate readers installed by many departments.  To answer the next question, the plate reader is able to scan license plates in parking lots, on highways, or local streets and compare them (in real time) to the DMV and other databases to identify stolen vehicles, other wanted vehicles, vehicles with suspended registrations, etc.

Damn...thats insane! Neat new toys!! wink.gif

Actually, they are the cameras for the plate readers installed by many departments.  To answer the next question, the plate reader is able to scan license plates in parking lots, on highways, or local streets and compare them (in real time) to the DMV and other databases to identify stolen vehicles, other wanted vehicles, vehicles with suspended registrations, etc.

Very close, but not quite. There is a daily updated file containing the stolen vehicles, suspended registrations and wanted parties that is downloaded through NYSPIN every morning, but the Mobile Plate Hunter 900 does NOT have the ability to directly check plates through NYSPIN, the file is stored locally.

FYI, the system does not contain any file information on valid plates, however if you put a plate of interest in the system, it can find it while driving around and can tell you if it has read that plate in the last 30 days and if it has can tell you exactly where and when it did.

Edited by 20y2

I have recently seen a NYSP cruiser on the TSP with a set of these, and was wondering the same thing. I had thought they were radar units mounted, yet it didn't seem to make sense to have 2 of them facing the same direction, and mounted on the outside. Thanks, my curiosity has been squashed!!

I will be on the lookout for this cruiser, and see if I can't snap a pic.

Very close, but not quite. There is a daily updated file containing the stolen vehicles, suspended registrations and wanted parties that is downloaded through NYSPIN every morning, but the Mobile Plate Hunter 900 does NOT have the ability to directly check plates through NYSPIN, the file is stored locally.

FYI, the system does not contain any file information on valid plates, however if you put a plate of interest in the system, it can find it while driving around and can tell you if it has read that plate in the last 30 days and if it has can tell you exactly where and when it did.

The system checks plates on the road in real-time and compares them to the local database stored in the system computer. If I gave the impression that there was some kind of streaming data exchange I apologize. You're right - the data is stored locally.

My dept. has the Mobile Plate Hunter - it's simply relentless...shows no mercy. Our local tow company loves it!

Those are plate readers. The scanners run plates that pass by it. Suspended and stolen vehicles will pop up on the in car computer.

I have recently seen a NYSP cruiser on the TSP with a set of these, and was wondering the same thing. I had thought they were radar units mounted, yet it didn't seem to make sense to have 2 of them facing the same direction, and mounted on the outside. Thanks, my curiosity has been squashed!!

I will be on the lookout for this cruiser, and see if I can't snap a pic.

NYSP in Westchester has three:

3K16 in Hawthorne covering Sprain/Taconic

3K21 on I-684 and Somers area

3K42 in Cortlandt

3K42 in Cortlandt

Chances are then, that I happened to capture one of possibly a few assigned to Troop K, or Stormville station. I was fortunate enough to notice it and get the trooper's permission to shoot it today.

I had forgotten that a few months ago, my father sent me this video from an e-mail, so I uploaded it to YouTube for your viewing enjoyment!

Of course, once I uploaded it, I find the same video already uploaded by other people. Well, watch mine at least biggrin.gif

Edited by xfirefighter484x

Any one know the company that produces these devices? I'm thinking they would be a good company to invest in.

I know from seeing and hearing chatter on the scanner that the state police in Poughkeepsie has a few cars, one is in the southern Dutchess area often, the Dutchess County Sheriff and City of Poughkeepsie has them as well. I think the town of Poughkeepsie may have 1 also but I am not positive on that.

I know about the first week SP Wappingers had it installed they caught a stolen vehicle from Hyde Park and stopped it in Fishkill on Route 9D, this then led to a chase on I 84 into Orange County where the vehicle crashed.

I know from seeing and hearing chatter on the scanner that the state police in Poughkeepsie has a few cars, one is in the southern Dutchess area often, the Dutchess County Sheriff and City of Poughkeepsie has them as well. I think the town of Poughkeepsie may have 1 also but I am not positive on that.

I know about the first week SP Wappingers had it installed they caught a stolen vehicle from Hyde Park and stopped it in Fishkill on Route 9D, this then led to a chase on I 84 into Orange County where the vehicle crashed.

The Poughkeepsie Journal published an article on these a few months back. They talk about how the Poughkeepsie PD was getting them. I tried to find the article but they want me to pay because it is archived.

New York State Police use the

Remington Automatic License Plate Recognition

a/k/a the "Bug Eyes"

http://www.remingtonelsag.com/mobile-system.htm

The information below is about the Motorola Automatic License

Plate Recognition.

They both do the same job.

Automatic License Plate Recognition ALPR

The Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALPR) technology installed in police cars “reads” vehicle plates as they enter the view of a vehicle-mounted or roadside infrared camera, and checks them against a database for nearly instantaneous identification. The system runs continuously, automatically capturing images of license plates with a camera that works in nearly every lighting condition.

Overview

Enhance your officers’ safety and productivity while maximizing your department’s revenue with Motorola’s Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALPR). ALPR uses infrared cameras to automatically and continuously read vehicle license plates. It then checks the plates against an installed database for rapid identity verification. Your officers are free to focus on other police work knowing that they will be alerted only when a “hit” occurs.

Automatic, Fast and Accurate

Automatically locate and match vehicle plates against wanted lists

Conduct surveillance in any environmental setting, under varying light conditions

Provides 130 mph relative capture speed with 90% accuracy

New Back Office System Server (BOSS) Software

Database formatting including ability to customize PAGIS screens and alarms based on system “hits”

Import of national and regional databases

Ability to map all locations related to a single license plate to track movements

Ability to cross reference perpetrator ID number (driver’s license, social security, etc.) with license plate database

Wireless database updates with AirMobile Integration

Update hot list database wirelessly with AirMobile over an 802.11 or MESH network

No manual intervention is needed – when a vehicle drives into a hotspot the list is updated

Benefits

With Motorola’s Automatic License Plate Recognition, safety and productivity go hand in hand. While your officers are busy focusing on the demands of being in the field, ALPR is automatically checking license plates to alert them to potential felons, or other wants or warrants for various violations. Officers will know when to call for back up, and they are more easily able to identify parking scofflaws, stolen vehicles, license violations, etc.

Increase Situational Awareness

Officers are alerted if they are dealing with an armed felon

They know when to call for back up

When they approach a vehicle, officers know who and what to expect

A Force Multiplier

Automatically matches vehicle plates against wanted lists

Facilitates Amber Alert and Be-On-The-Lookout tracking

Identifies other wants and warrants

Generate Additional Revenue

Enables parking ticket enforcement

Increases funds from collection of delinquent violations

Helps recover money from drug interdiction

Identifies stolen or wanted vehicles

Details

ALPR offers programming flexibility, reliability in varied conditions and situations, and the speed and accuracy that your officers demand in their daily work.

ALPR boasts a 90% accuracy rate and 130 mph relative capture speed.

In addition to NCIC databases, the ALPR database can be programmed to include state and local wants and warrants for various violations. Officers also can enter plate numbers into the system for Amber Alerts or other immediate alerts.

ALPR allows officers to conduct surveillance even under varied lighting and weather conditions.

ALPR uses ruggedized, infrared cameras that connect to leading-edge optical character recognition (OCR) technology software.

AirMobile integration provides automatic wireless database updates over an 802.11 or MESH network.

Back Office System Software (BOSS) enables formatting of the database with customized PAGIS screens and alarms based in system “hits.”

National and regional databases can be imported through BOSS.

BOSS facilitates cross-referencing of perpetrator’s ID numbers (driver’s license, social security number, etc) with the license plate database.

BOSS also enables officers to map the location and track the movement of a single license plate.

Results

ALPR Technology Trial Nabs Wanted Suspects

The Pennsylvania State Police recently tested the ALPR system, which was pivotal in an October arrest on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

During the first week of the test, a car was observed speeding on the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Chester County. While the trooper was pulling up behind the vehicle, its license plate was automatically “read’’ by the camera mounted on the cruiser and processed through a database installed in the trooper’s onboard computer. The ALPR system showed the vehicle as stolen, which alerted the trooper to call for backup before he even approached its occupants.

The State Trooper then conducted a further check on the state database, which showed that the three occupants of the vehicle in question were wanted in connection with an earlier kidnapping and attempted murder case.

More information can be found at: http://www.pipstechnology.com/alpr/

They make the units for Motorola

NYPD has been using a similar system for a while now. Its payed off pretty well. Last fall (I believe) the taskforce using it ended up in a shoot out with one officer being nearly pinned by the perps car.

Chances are then, that I happened to capture one of possibly a few assigned to Troop K, or Stormville station. I was fortunate enough to notice it and get the trooper's permission to shoot it today.

2K63 in the photo is from Stormville.

Any one know the company that produces these devices? I'm thinking they would be a good company to invest in.

Remington.

3K42 in Cortlandt

The plate readers can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle so don't be surprised to see them on other vehicles when they get switched around.

The County PD doesn't have them assigned to a specific vehicle - they're assigned randomly... So you never know where they'll turn up.

Chris192,

I was involved in the initial demo of the units to WCPD with Motorola.

The units you have are set up very much like a Radar Unit,

they can be changed from Car to Car as needed.

That was a special request made by WCPD.

I believe the Remington units the State Police have are permanently

affixed to the vehicle. (as seen in the photos)

town of Pok PD has one I saw today at the station and I was told they have a couple portables that go from unit to unit. NYSP has several and they are getting more soon since they are making $$$ for the state hand over fist.

I just dont understand why you would place t hem on a slick top car. if you are going to have that on top of the car you should put lights up there as well.

I read somewere the FedSIg was trying to install 2 of the cameras in a vision / vector bar so that they were hiden and simply looked like a regular light bar.

I just dont understand why you would place t hem on a slick top car.  if you are going to have that on top of the car you should put lights up there as well.

While I understand what you mean, you have to look at this picture.

user posted image

These units do block a considerable percentage of the unit's forward visible lightbar. I do understand your thinking, that if your aim is to have a slicktop "low visibility cruiser" why have something that is a dead giveaway visible?

I refer back to my statement, as you can see for yourself, they do block a considerable amount of the lightbar's forward visibility, making a lightbar that much less effective.

Suffolk County Sheriff's Office uses them out in the East End, usually somewhere near the jail on 51. They've been pretty sucessful with it too, from what I hear.

The plate readers can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle so don't be surprised to see them on other vehicles when they get switched around. 

The County PD doesn't have them assigned to a specific vehicle - they're assigned randomly...  So you never know where they'll turn up.

The NYSP Units are permanently mounted and not interchangable, but the same Remington model does come in a dynamic model that uses magnets, such as the two new units Mt Vernon PD has recently bought.

i managed to see one of the original designs at last years fleet demo in Westchester. the cameras are awsome, they had a couple plates that they held up and you can watch the computer right the letters and numbers down then search its data base

About a year ago I was talking with an Illinois SP trooper at an accident screen - his Lumina had a similar system - but the cameras/enclosures were much, much smaller than the ones in the photos here, and were actually mounted to the car via the same bolts as the light bar mounting brackets - 1 on each front corner of the lightbar (traffinc cameras), and a third on the right rear corner at 90 degrees (parking lot camera). Being smaller - they were significantly less noticable, and also blocked little, if any, of the lightbar output, particularly at the important intersection angles. On the other hand - it was obviously not "car-to-car portable".

About a year ago I was talking with an Illinois SP trooper at an accident screen - his Lumina had a similar system - but the cameras/enclosures were much, much smaller than the ones in the photos here, and were actually mounted to the car via the same bolts as the light bar mounting brackets - 1 on each front corner of the lightbar (traffinc cameras), and a third on the right rear corner at 90 degrees (parking lot camera).  Being smaller - they were significantly less noticable, and also blocked little, if any, of the lightbar output, particularly at the important intersection angles.  On the other hand - it was obviously not "car-to-car portable".

That is the Motorola/PIPS version of the ALPR. It's more popular out west.

Yonkers has a couple...one mounted on 505 car (housing) which for a while was being redirected around to the precincts. Every once and a while they will do a detail in the 3rd Pct with one....usually on channel 3 until they stop one...it goes nuts down here almost ridiculous at times...just one thing to remember for users....CHECK THE STATE...one of our cars was looking for a stolen NY plate...trouble is car they were behind had OHIO plates and all the reader does is recognize the numbers based on infrared reflection (refraction...one or the other)...so you still have to pay attention!