Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LCFD968

Tarrytown, Working fire 8-4-07

64 posts in this topic

What happened to Conqueror????

Is this war-wound recent or did it just occur today?

Edited by bvfdjc316

Port Chester FD Engine 60 Utility 65 and 2391 were also called to the scene around 12:39 in the afternoon.

OK....I'll byte. Why the tankers ?

I saw them going to the rear of the structure. I dont know if there were any hydrants back there. Ardsey wasnt getting much pressure off the hydrant on Benedict either which was at the main entrance. You would have to ask someone from Tarrytown.

Is Tarrytown's Ladder burnt?

It does look like it at first glance...but I'm pretty sure thats just darkness from open compartments. If you expand the pic its a bit easier to see.

OK....I'll byte. Why the tankers ?

From my understanding, hackly pumps there own water to there hydrants, about four hours into the fire there pump went, perhaps someone from TFD can confirm this

I was the pump operator from ardsley on engine 164. from my understanding they used the tankers on midland ave to supply sleepy hollow's tower and engine. i wasn't getting that great of pressure towards the end on the fire. from about 5:30 when i started to about 7 or 8 i was getting great water pressure. i was able to put out about 200 pounds on the 5 inch. then i m guess someone was opening up other hydrants or they were using more lines off eninge 79 and i couldn't get enough pressure from the hydrant so we moved about 400 feet down to the hydrant on benidict. i was getting great pressure from there for bout an hour or so and then i m guessing they started to take more lines off and i was staying constant with about 150 pounds going up to the engine 79. i was in direct contact with engine 79 and we were working together very well to get the most amount of pressure to there rig so that they could supply ladder 37 and engine 80. As far as i know i was the only engine pumping up the main hill to any tarrytown units. i never made it to the top of the hill to see what was going on so i don't know if they were using anymore hydrants. But i would like to thank tarrytown's I.C. and the operator from engine 79 for helping me with good communications so i could try to get them the most pressure they needed.

Just a question for you all since there was a water pressure issue. Was the local water company on scene to help increase the pressure. I know when we have a large fire our water company is called out and they start re-routing mains to make sure we had adequate pressure and supply. I'm just curious.

Coming from the "City of Hills" I have seen this once or twice...anytime you are pumping up hill it ain't gonna be easy. Unfortunately that is all we have around here. I can remember a few fires, such as the one in Peekskill at Hampton Oaks where the pressure was lost pretty quickly and they had to switch to tankers. Also in Yonkers they have had to relay in water a few times from larger mains along larger streets, I believe the best recent example was the Waverly St fire which was a few years ago now. First you are pumping up hill to the other engine, then they pump up hill to the apparatus at the scene, and then pump up the tower unless it has its own pump which would help keep the pressure a bit more consistent. But if the origin, hydrant, is losing pressure then you have to go with tankers, no. At least they recognized this condition and adapted to it quickly with their call for mutual aid tankers so that they were able to keep water going. As Izzy points out, some times water departments are notified early of the fire, and can help keep pressure consistent, as best as they can. Once a working fire has been declared in the YO we contact the water dept and let them know the location, I guess this is so they can monitor it better and help out too. I would also assume that they dispatch workers to inspect the hydrants in the area of the fire after they were used to make sure they are working correctly and were not damaged, but that is just an assumption.

Congrats to all who fought this one. And awesome job on the pictures!

the water dept was on scene, they had us hit a hydrent and pump to the pump house on the grounds of the school, so they could get more water up at the scene. by a lil after 8am we were sucking all the hydrents dry, thats when they called all the tankers in.

Here is the posting from WNBC-TV's website:

A message left at the school wasn't immediately returned this morning.

Like, "duh !"

You beat me to it. Brilliant media types.

On Location: great photos. Thank you for sharing.

I'm glad to see TL 78 in action......this is probably the biggest fire so far with this rig right ? How did the truck preform, any complaints at all? Stay Safe.

Wow, great pics from everyone! I am not really familiar with the layout of the school but from I can see it looks like it is all one building. How did they stop the extension? Were trench cuts used? Was it a slate roof to match the stone exterior? Was the ACLU notified of the public book burning? How many ladders ended up being service at the fire ground? Anyway, great job, and I like the little anecdotes of those there. Keep those coming because everyone can learn from the drafting pump operator (as above) all the way on up to the IC. Let's hear your experience.

We ended using water from the lakes because of the following reason. On the grounds of Hackley, the school has its own pumps to ensure that enough water can flow up to the school, as time progressed, the pumps began smoking and could no longer function properly. Therefore drafting was required out of the Tarrytown Lakes.

On the fireground, Tarrytown L-37 was operating their ladder pipe. TL-78, at the time of best water flow, was running both guns out of the bucket, a gun off the truck, and one or two handlines. At the time of worst water flow it was usually one gun of the bucket and thats it, sometimes we were down to nothing. Sleepy Hollow TL-38 was operating off of the back portion of the building with two guns off the bucket. At one point neither 78 or 38 had any water flow and could only watch each other as the fire re-kindled.

The roof was slate. When we first arrived the entire roof of the library was gone. Nothing ever showed from either building to the side of the library until it was too late. A trench was cut open into the roof of the adjoining building. If looking at a picture from the front of the building, it was cut into the right side of the small peak of the adjoining building to the library. Thanks to the mutual aid crews who completed the task and sincere apologies to anyone who got wet up there.

This was the first real fire this truck has ever seen. This was the first time we raised the ladder for a worker or pumped it at a worker. We were quite pleased with its performance. If any one has pictures for TL-78 working at the fire, could you please contact me, as our company would like to make a display for our new firehouse. Thank you.

Also, a very big thanks to all mutual aid companies who responded to the scene and to standby in our quarters while others operated. Without all of your help and assistance we would never had been able to put that fire out. And a very big thanks to the Tarrytown FD Ladies Auxiliary and the Tarrytown Vol Ambulance Corps for taking care of all of us and making sure that we were healthy, hydrated, well fed and, most importantly cool, and the very nice Bee-Line bus with AC to relax in. Also thanks to the numerous establishments who donated food, refreshments, and towels.

i figured i would throw my 2 cents in here for everybody, but the only thing I really have to say is thank you to all of the departments that came in and helped. i dont think anybody could say anything negative towards anybody else. all departments were professional and more than willing to get the job done. The paper today really praised only tarrytown for this one, but if you were there you know it was not just us who got the job done. we could not have done it without you. my sincere thanks to all responding departments.

Is there an official # of alarms this fire was?

Also does anyone have a complete run-down of all of the units on scene and on stand-by?

Edited by bvfdjc316

Also does anyone have a complete run-down of all of the units on scene and on stand-by?

Sleepy Hollow had Engines 85, 86, TL38 2311, 2112, 2313, DC 2315, 2316, 73B1 standing by at Tarrytown PD (also was covering Sleepy Hollow Tarrytown and Irvington for a while). Standing by in Sleepy Hollow DC 2314, SHFD E-87, 1 engine from Pocantico Hills, 1 engine from Thronwood, L-41 from Ossining, TL from West Harrison.

Edited by calhobs

It was nice standing by in TFD Firehouse especially when the Mc'D's is right up the street. We'll take 50 cheese burgers to go!

What about Rescue 12?

they were in house until about 1500 hrs then was sent up to take some equipment back not really called to scene by IC but by our Chiefs. forgot to list them as in our house before.

On Location,

Nice shots! - If I had know about it I'd probably have buffed it from Dutchess....... With 7000 Plus people reading this thread I couldn't believe no one had any good shots of the fire early on....... Good Job and thanks for sharing...... Bill