Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Future Fireman

I hate early Christmas in November stuff!

29 posts in this topic

Alright, I'm not sure if this is happening down in NY, but malls are already being decked out in Christmas stuff. IMHO, why the hell do we have to have Christmas stuff and sales out before Thanksgiving????? I understand Christmas stuff on 'black' Friday (named for profits, not LODD's) but before Thanksgiving, c,mon. They even had the 'Photo with Santa' booth out and open!

Sorry for the rant, but anybody else feel like this is too much?

Mike

I agree! It's earlier and earlier each year. For me, the Christmas Season doesn't start until Santa passes through Herald Square on Thanksgiving Morning.

I saw some stores had there Christmas stuff out in September!

It also seems each year it becomes more and more commercialized. I just like the spirit of the seasons, the gathering of friends and family, etc.

I agree...I almost forgot that Veterans Day is this week and then there is Thanksgiving...thought I slept through half of November! I know that time goes fast but come on! They need to chill (ha!) out a little bit! Too much of something can make it bad!

Edited by Oswegowind

I agree! It's earlier and earlier each year. For me, the Christmas Season doesn't start until Santa passes through Herald Square on Thanksgiving Morning.

It also seems each year it becomes more and more commercialized. I just like the spirit of the seasons, the gathering of friends and family, etc.

You'll find this with anything. Toward the end of July, many stores were putting out their Back To School things. School just let out the month before :-0

In the beginning of September, we started with Halloween, then Thanksgiving, now Christmas.

No break in between!

Takes away from the anticipation and getting things prepared.

Like kindda shoving it down our throats! :blink: :angry:

Edited by tunaFish

tell me about back to school stuff I used to be soooooooooooooooooooo happy that school let out and towards the end of july I had to here about back to school and the T.V. did not let me forget it. I did not want to here about the first day of school until the first day of school B)

Seth, I think you hit the nail on the head! COMMERCIALIZED!!! It all boils down to the almighty dollar, and how they can push the sales. Really takes much of the fun and anticipation out of the Christmas season. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Yep its BS, Im SICK of hearing about it already and it not even Thanksgiving yet, Idiots been talking about it 1st week of oct

That's okay, guys. Out here, as stores were selling out of their Halloween candy, the shelves were then stocked with Christmas decorations and candy. Ans as Seth said, this was the end of September :blink::blink:

Alright, I'm not sure if this is happening down in NY, but malls are already being decked out in Christmas stuff. IMHO, why the hell do we have to have Christmas stuff and sales out before Thanksgiving????? I understand Christmas stuff on 'black' Friday (named for profits, not LODD's) but before Thanksgiving, c,mon. They even had the 'Photo with Santa' booth out and open!

Sorry for the rant, but anybody else feel like this is too much?

Mike

I agree. CVS Pharmacy started displaying Xmas items just before Haloween. Kinda rushing things. Also, I noticed Haloween is becoming just as festive as Xmas with all the decorations I am seeing lately.

Maybe we should get the Easter Bunny ready ;)

I agree. CVS Pharmacy started displaying Xmas items just before Haloween. Kinda rushing things. Also, I noticed Haloween is becoming just as festive as Xmas with all the decorations I am seeing lately.

Maybe we should get the Easter Bunny ready ;)

Don't laugh. Right after Christmas the stores will have all the red and pink hearts lined up and the little bunnies will be pushing thier way through.

With the price of gas the way it is, and if it keeps going up!!! Santa will not be making many stops over here!!!!LOL :P

Someone mentioned it but many stores were putting out christmas themed items prior to Halloween. While the decking of the halls has been coming earlier and earlier every year and I can't get in the mood to enjoy them yet I don't pay that much attention to them.

Commercialized? Who do you think drives it that way? I know for one I don't sit at home and make crafts and toys from scratch to give to family and friends I exchange gifts with during Christmas. So how can it not be commercialized?

What holiday or traditionally celebrated event isn't commercialized? This also helps drive our economy and also gives good economic indicators on how the average person like us is doing based on sales.

Halloween- Candy, costumes

4th of July- Traditionally food items for picnics

Memorial Day- not as big food sales as the 4th but still significant.

Thanksgiving- Again food items

Valentines Day- Candy, Flowers, Cards

Christmas- All the above including major retail spending.

according the the busines association most retailers do over 40 % of their entire yearly gross income during the last quarter of the year. so its a no brainer that the holiday season is extended as long as possible.

Santa made his "Grand Entrance" at the Danbury Fair Mall yesterday. On th eother hand the Christmas sales have started before "Black Friday". Gotta love my new 42" LCD TV with surround sound.

The workers just finished putting up all the holiday lights next door to me at Bloomingdales on Lexington Ave last week. The window displays should be opening soon as well. If you ask me at least 2 maybe 3 weeks too early, but the last post is right, def won't argue holiday sales are bad!

Halloween- Candy, costumes

4th of July- Traditionally food items for picnics

Memorial Day- not as big food sales as the 4th but still significant.

Thanksgiving- Again food items

Valentines Day- Candy, Flowers, Cards

Christmas- All the above including major retail spending.

Let me throw my idealistic views in here, lol.

Halloween- Candy, costumes-so commercialized I don't even know the origins....

4th of July- Celebrating our nation

Memorial Day- Celebratng those who gave their lives for our way of life....consequently, I see more people at the big box stores then at the community Memorial Day Parade each year.

Thanksgiving- Giving thanks for what you have, and spending quality time with family you don't always have time to spend with.

Valentines Day- Candy, Flowers, Cards- again, so commercialized I don't even know the origins....

Christmas- In the giving spirit, spending time with friends and family, eggnog, Santa......but it seems each year more and more people are obsessed with "buying" and "What am I going to get?" then "giving".

It seems like a new Holiday is invented each month.....

How many of you brave Black Friday - the early bird specials?

We have - for 5 years running now...it's alot of fun....

How many of you brave Black Friday - the early bird specials?

We have - for 5 years running now...it's alot of fun....

I consider Black Friday more hazardous than a riot, so guess what I do that day? Homework! :(

Mike

Given that i have a low tolerance for shopping, i would probably have a stroke. Past few years I've spent black Friday working.

I don't like to think about Christmas at all anymore.....I really don't. But, if "forced" to, it shouldn't be until after the tryptofan (sp?)-induced nap on Thanksgiving night. My step-father used to insist on Christmas music being the background noise for that particular dinner, the house was fully decorated by that point, the tree went up Friday morning, and the outside lights went on somewhere between Thursday night and that weekend. Made me happy to get out on my own.

I agree wholeheartedly....WAY too early this year! Went to Hannaford the other night, and they have one long aisle for seasonal stuff. A third to a half of it is leftover Halloween candy, currently marked down to 75% off, and the other half is.....you guessed it, Christmas stuff! :rolleyes: Ad in the paper recently hyping Santa's arrival at the Galleria, complete with live reindeer. Didn't even bother to remember the date, other than commenting that it's too early.

Eggnog hit the shelves a week to 10 days ago. That's fine for some folks, but I prefer my first taste of it to be at Thanksgiving dinner. What's the deal with all these different flavors now, anyway?

You couldn't PAY me enough to partake in Black Friday festivities. Traffic is bad enough around here on a normal day. I'm practically broke now as it is.....no need to put my life (and that of my only vehicle) on the line just to spend money I don't have in the name of saving a "few" dollars on something. I'd much rather take advantage of a rare chance to sleep late.

I, too, wish it was a lot less commercialized, but what can you do (besides ignore it, of course)?

Edited by AndyC3J

This years Christmas Tree lighting at Rockefeller Center I believe is the 28th. It used to be around the 5th or so.

Well it seems like companies use holidays as way to pump up there profits. Christmas sales are starting way to early. It has gotten way too commercial. The big box stores seem to stay open for just about everything. They never seem to close, even on holidays. About the only day that Walmart really closes is Christmas or even Thanksgiving. But that is going to change, or already has.

Edited by DOC22

We did Black Friday at the Fishkill WalMart a few years ago....BIG MISTAKE!

A. The had POLICE OFFICERS stationed INSIDE the store, every few isles....

B. The local zoo let alot of animals out....hence the PO's...

C. A $20 DVD player started a riot....in which an elderly female passed out...THE SECOND SHE HIT THE GROUND THE ANIMALS LOOTED HER CART!!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing...

D. BUT....at least I finally got to watch where most of my tax dollars go....

I know that the holiday season can get a bit crazy, but in a way that's the fun of it. The one good part of shift work is that you can go to the malls during the week when it is not as crazy!! If you don't like the malls you can always shop on the Internet, and you don't have to leave your house!!! Just be kind to your UPS/Postal Worker. :)

C. A $20 DVD player started a riot....in which an elderly female passed out...THE SECOND SHE HIT THE GROUND THE ANIMALS LOOTED HER CART!!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing...

Whats wrong with that? LOL. Survival of the fittest. I would have taken a neck tie tied it around my head...taken blue make up and smeared it on my face...held up a flash light and yelled...."follow me! Follow me toooo FREEDOM!!!!"

I have never done, and never will do a black friday. F that.

Submitted for your approval. National law barring any mention of Christmas sales and stuff like that until, like Seth said, Santa takes his joyride to Herald Square. This would also include any hanging of lights, displays and other garish monstrosities that take away from the true spirit of the Holiday season.

Pipe dream, wishful thinking?? Maybe. Rose colored glasses time.

I had a simple, flat Thanksgiving cut out posted outside my front door and it fell about during last week's rain.

So I look in the dollar stores for another one and only see Christmas stuff for sale--and Thanksgiving isn't quite here yet..

Next week they will have Valentine's day stuff on display.

BUMP. Anybody else have a gripe like this they want to type about?

Mike