Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ajsbear

Details of Mount Vernon firefighters' criminal pasts elusive

74 posts in this topic

Capt-does it even matter anymore? Obvious that the "No Tolerance Rule" has the " No merit Rule" so I guess its time to carry on!

News 12 is reporting a 2nd Mount Vernon firefighter recruit, with a past criminal record, has been dismissed from the county fire academy for accumulating too many demerits.

JOURNAL NEWS

Third Mount Vernon firefighter kicked out of academy

By Hannan Adely • The Journal News • January 6, 2009

MOUNT VERNON - A third city firefighter has been kicked out of the Westchester County fire training academy for receiving too many demerits for disciplinary violations.

Francis Stone, 39, was dismissed from the academy Friday, four weeks short of graduation. Mount Vernon Fire Commissioner Noah Lighty said Stone had 12 demerits for infractions that included lagging behind in physical training and being untruthful to instructors.

JOURNAL NEWS

MOUNT VERNON - A third city firefighter has been kicked out of the Westchester County fire training academy for receiving too many demerits for disciplinary violations.

Francis Stone, 39, was dismissed from the academy Friday, four weeks short of graduation. Mount Vernon Fire Commissioner Noah Lighty said Stone had 12 demerits for infractions that included lagging behind in physical training and being untruthful to instructors.

Is it 2 or 3????

Is it 2 or 3????

looks like 3 have been removed from the academy, with 2 being dismissed from service

Do I hear a fourth???? Jezzzz. Talk about hiring just anyone. Wasn't there criminal background checks performed during the application process?

. Wasn't there criminal background checks performed during the application process?

Doesn't matter in the Vern. You can have a felony(s) and still get appointed. Not to mention you don't even need a GED. What a Yob! It's a total disgrace to the Fire Service as a whole. The Job has just become a Job to many. It's no longer a "Calling", it's a numbers game. OH well, you get what you pay for, now deal with it FDMV!

Don't you have to be a resident of Mount Vernon to get hired? Maybe they should ease up on the residency requirement to attract better candidates. No offense to anyone from Mount Vernon.

I'm sure there are many competent and responsible people who reside in Mount Vernon that would make excellent firefighters. The problem is as always- Politics. That is what lowered their hiring standard a while ago and needs to be changed.

As we all know, Mount Vernon is an extremely busy and undermanned fire department. What I'm sure angers the real firefighters on their job is that the open firefighter positions they already have will now take much longer to fill . On the good side, at least they got rid of the incompetent firefighters before they ended up on the job filling up space in the fire houses for the next 20 years.

I'm sure there are many competent and responsible people who reside in Mount Vernon that would make excellent firefighters. The problem is as always- Politics. That is what lowered their hiring standard a while ago and needs to be changed.

As we all know, Mount Vernon is an extremely busy and undermanned fire department. What I'm sure angers the real firefighters on their job is that the open firefighter positions they already have will now take much longer to fill . On the good side, at least they got rid of the incompetent firefighters before they ended up on the job filling up space in the fire houses for the next 20 years.

I don't think they'll be that angry if they fill those open spots with OT. :rolleyes:

JOURNAL NEWS

He should be in great shape running from the cops all the time!

He should be in great shape running from the cops all the time!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL(OLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL