Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ny10570

TSP Multi Fatal MVA

61 posts in this topic

There is no S/B entrance to the Taconic off of Bedford Road, which is a little confusing. Also, if you do a streetview with the above address, even the Google van was subjected to major sunglare.

I was listening to 60 Control when this job was being toned out, and it gave me goosebumps.

God bless the families of the folks involved, and of course the responders. The Hawthorne FF that was on TV was clearly shaken.

If you re-read the post that you responded to, he said that the entrance to go NORTH on the TSP from 117 AND the exit ramp...are at the same traffic light. I think it might be easier to understand, if in fact this is what happened, that perhaps the woman went DOWN the exit ramp that was for cars coming off the TSP. There was no mention of a s/b entrance ramp.

Correct me if I am wrong.

May the famlies stay strong

May the emergency responders stay stronger

I hope these accidents were not due to a GPS

Edited by JetPhoto

If you re-read the post that you responded to, he said that the entrance to go NORTH on the TSP from 117 AND the exit ramp...are at the same traffic light. I think it might be easier to understand, if in fact this is what happened, that perhaps the woman went DOWN the exit ramp that was for cars coming off the TSP. There was no mention of a s/b entrance ramp.

Correct me if I am wrong.

You are not wrong, I agree with you. There is only an entrance to the Taconic N there at that screwy intersection. No S/B entrance, which can be frustrating and misleading for a confused driver looking to go south, home to LI.

I can't surmise what happened in this tragedy, but perhaps she mistakenly went the wrong way on the NB exit ramp, looking to go SB.

Did this accident not occur north of the 117 exit ramp. I passed the scene at aprox 3:30 pm and both of the other vehicles appeared well north of the exit ramp itself, basically between the exit ramp and the entrance ramp area. While this seemed the most logical answer that she entered at Rt 117 it does not seem plausable but I guess the NYSP AI team has their work cut out for them. Also it seems their are reports of northbound drivers, north of 117 claiming they dodged this woman driving south in the northbound lanes at a "high rate of speed and unaware of being on the wrong side of the road". If this is the case maybe the exit at Pleasantville Rd is more plausable. If you look on google earth it is a single exit ramp.

post-957-1248665046.jpg

You are not wrong, I agree with you. There is only an entrance to the Taconic N there at that screwy intersection. No S/B entrance, which can be frustrating and misleading for a confused driver looking to go south, home to LI.

I can't surmise what happened in this tragedy, but perhaps she mistakenly went the wrong way on the NB exit ramp, looking to go SB.

Yep, that's the way it looks...A witness on 12 said he saw her coming, she never swerved, or tried to avoid uncoming traffic. It will come out in due time. Prayers to ALL!!!

Did this accident not occur north of the 117 exit ramp. I passed the scene at aprox 3:30 pm and both of the other vehicles appeared well north of the exit ramp itself, basically between the exit ramp and the entrance ramp area. While this seemed the most logical answer that she entered at Rt 117 it does not seem plausable but I guess the NYSP AI team has their work cut out for them. Also it seems their are reports of northbound drivers, north of 117 claiming they dodged this woman driving south in the northbound lanes at a "high rate of speed and unaware of being on the wrong side of the road". If this is the case maybe the exit at Pleasantville Rd is more plausable. If you look on google earth it is a single exit ramp.

Perhaps an illness, heart, seizure etc. Maybe not aware or even conscious. Time will tell. I feel so bad. What a horrible thing for ALL involved.

Looking at aerial shots and videos which are now available, the impact was just north of the 117 exit ramp, so she must have gotten on the parkway south bound from Pleasantville Road in Briarcliff.

i must agree vinny i also work as a paid emt for hawthorne for empress.. i must say when i am there i feel they are my family just as my department at home god bless the familys and everyone else that responded

Reading the LoHud discussion board a writer claiming to be a friend of the woman's husband stated that early reports from NYSP and the ME are that the woman may have been postictal (post seizure) and disorientated when she got on the Taconic. He eluded to the fact that she had a history of seizures in his posting. If this in fact was true it would explain alot, not realizing she was passing numerous cars buzzing past her in the opposite direction I am sure blowing horns and flashing headlights.

Reading the LoHud discussion board a writer claiming to be a friend of the woman's husband stated that early reports from NYSP and the ME are that the woman may have been postictal (post seizure) and disorientated when she got on the Taconic. He eluded to the fact that she had a history of seizures in his posting. If this in fact was true it would explain alot, not realizing she was passing numerous cars buzzing past her in the opposite direction I am sure blowing horns and flashing headlights.

Yeah, that's what I posted right before your post. Seems logical...I hope the boy in the hospital is okay. What a terrible thing.

NY Post article naming victims of minivan. NY POST Article. All from Babylon LI returning from a camping trip.

I saw aerial footage of the scene on CNN tonight. I was flabbergasted. An almost unreal sight, the carnage I saw.

My thoughts and prayers to all those involved.

Chief LaGrippo and his first crew on scene really deserve an atta-boy here. I've been part of some horrendous accidents and have seen grizzled and experienced members lock up at the sight of a dead child. To rapidly and effectively asses and triage 5 children without becoming fixated on any one is a rough task for anyone.

At Pleasantville Rd to accidentally go S/B on the N/B side is extremely difficult. The ramp is clearly marked and the N/B ramp is hundreds of feet away on the other side of Pleasantville Rd.

My heartfelt condolences to the families involved in this tragedy. And to all the emergency services personnle that responded congrats on a job well done under extremely grave & horrific situation. Stay strong and get some help, talk to someone, don't keep it bottled up inside thinking you can handle it because the truth is no matter how strong you think you are you relly aren't.

Thoughts and prayers with the friends, family and responders. God bless you guys.

This is about as bad as it can get as a first responder. Does Westchester County have a CISM team, I am a member of the Nassau County fire service team and as a Chief officer it would be a must to have them come down...NOT mandatory for anyone to attend mind you, but at least to set up a time for a sit down with all that were involved on a voluntary basis. This is the sort of incident that can make a 30 year veteran of the fire service have flashbacks of past things that may have been blown off and now start to come out, as well as new people who will outright quit. We don't want to loose our new folk like this , people who may not understand it's normal to feel like they do, and they are not alone.

Edited by spin_the_wheel

This is about as bad as it can get as a first responder. Does Westchester County have a CISM team, I am a member of the Nassau County fire service team and as a Chief officer it would be a must to have them come down...NOT mandatory for anyone to attend mind you, but at least to set up a time for a sit down with all that were involved on a voluntary basis. This is the sort of incident that can make a 30 year veteran of the fire service have flashbacks of past things that may have been blown off and now start to come out, as well as new people who will outright quit. We don't want to loose our new folk like this , people who may not understand it's normal to feel like they do, and they are not alone.

yes there is a cisd team and it was called.

Edited by Goose

yes there is a cisd team and it was called.

BUT...it was very, very nice of you to volunteer. ;)

Good looking out.

I get nervous just thinking of this incident. Much respect to all who operated on the scene.

These wrong way crashes are getting way to frequent, Millwood had one in late March which was a near fatal. If you look at the car you can see why....

Millwood MVA 3-28-09

Hearing horrible news like this saddens me greatly on an otherwise nice day. My condolences to the loved ones of those lost. I hope that if any of the emergency workers working the scene need PTSD counseling, they receive it instead of bottling it up like we do so much of the time.

Your advice is the best I've read. Please, any responders who were on-scene and any in the ED who received the 5yr old survivor, get that counselling. Trust me on this- bottling up something like this is just too dangerous. You can't carry this around in your head and expect to to do your job as well as you normally can.

Very very sad!!!!! My thoughts and prayers to EVERYONE involved in this horrific mva!!!!!! Makes me want to hug my kids and NEVER let go....... It just doesn't make any sense,

Edited by f19

I get nervous just thinking of this incident. Much respect to all who operated on the scene.

These wrong way crashes are getting way to frequent, Millwood had one in late March which was a near fatal. If you look at the car you can see why....

Millwood MVA 3-28-09

Millwood had a fatal one on July 4th of 2003 or 2004... I was first on scene... wrong way DWI entered NB lanes going SB in the area of Peekskill Hollow Road and made it all the way to RT100 before striking a vehicle head on with father, pregnant mother, and young child. Father DOA, young child and mother survived with mother in pre term labor at the ED if I recall. DWI driver with died a few weeks later.

Horrible with a single fatal... Can't imagine times 8....

Lohud said there were 4 children and 4 adults that died chiledren were from 2 years 5years 7years and 9years old my prayers for the families and EMS FD AND PD mt. pleasant and westchester county and state police departments EMS OVAC PVAC transcare medics and everyone else who responded to the incident

How sad. So many lives lost for no reason. I'm surprised that the call we had up in East Fishkill 12 hours earlier didn't have any fatalities. Again, vehicle going the wrong way - this time northbound in the southbound lanes - hit head on just south of Miller Hill. One serious injury and several other minor injuries. Could have been alot worse. State Police confirming that they would be personally transporting the driver of the pickup going the wrong way. I wonder why.

Critical Incident Stress Debriefing - Hawthorne FD 19:00 Tonight

This had to be a very rough scene for all first responders.

If you were there, Even if you think you feel okay now, it helps to talk about it.

Wow, what a horrific tragedy! I'm in Vermont at my in-laws and just read this. I was surrounded by my fiancee's nieces, nephews & cousins & my heart dropped when I read this. I have a soft spot in my heart for children in distress. Its terrible when any life is lost, much less a childs.

My thoughts & prayers are with the families who were affected by this incident. May the deceased rest in peace.

My heart goes out to all the MOS involved as well. To the dispatchers & first responding PD, EMS & FD units; god bless you for your professionalism. To the ER staff, the ME's office & the LEO's left to investigate, my heart goes out to you as well. You were all left with a very difficult job.

But to everyone who was involed in this incident...please, please, please talk to someone! I know this first-hand, its not worth it to hold it in. Talk to a colleague, husband, wife, friend, whoever you feel comfortable with.

Absolutely horrific.

I was in Yorktown at the time, and had friends coming up the TSP that had literally passed this incident a few minutes before it happened.

I feel for the families, but I also feel for the Mount Pleasant area emergency services personel on scene. There's some bad calls people see during they're lifetime, but this is one of the worst incidents imaginable. It will take considerable strength, and they will never overcome this incident. As time passes, I hope fellow members of these agencies will be vigilant for signs of PTSD.

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

Its been extremely dangerous to drive on the roads this past week. As mentioned earlier there was an extrication on the TSP for 2 patients the night before...and then this tragedy...My heart goes out to the victims, families and responders...and last night there was a rollover pin in Patterson with 4 patients, and another pin on the lake carmel/ east fishkill border...be extremely cautious out on the roads and always wear your seatbelts...whether daily driving or responding to the call whether in personal vehicle or on the apparatus

It was already mentioned, but I would like to reiterate it.

If you were involved in any way, UTILIZE THE RESOURSCES THAT WILL BE PROVIDED WITH REGARDS TO CRITICAL STRESS MANAGEMENT AND COUNSELING.

I have been there, it does help a bit!!!

Edited by fit5fire

very very sad...thoughts and prayers to the families of all of those lost and to the brothers and sisters on scene who tried to help...

i know what it feels like to be on scene of 1 ped fatal...but i cant begin to imagine 4... the only advice i have is: stay strong... If it bothers u talk about it!!!