Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New Chief Of Mount Vernon FD

75 posts in this topic

Apparently, Mount Vernon FD has a new Chief. More to follow.......

The new Chief of Operations is Captain Al-Farid Salahuddin, appointed firefighter November 17, 1980

The mayor apparently chose to by pass the deputy chiefs and other captains to make this appointment.

Apparently many are not happy, the least of whom is Chief Al Everett who apparently was informed after the fact.

Draw your own conclusions!

Just when you thought there could be no more surprises coming out of City Hall...

Personal note to Chief Everett: Retirement is bliss.

Isn't chief a civil service position? If so how could he bypass everyone?

I see the Mayor is taking care of his friends and humping the dept....................Same old story for the City of Trees..

I believe he was promoted from Capt to Dep Chief and then made chief of Operations by the Mayor.

News 12 stated that another family member of the new chief was just promoted to head of Mt Vernon recreation.

What's politics without a little corruption?!?!?

Nothing surprises me in Mt Vernon. What next? Pay rental for a bunk? Sell the trailers at 470? Oh wait, are they not on loan from the federal gov't?

I'm sure there weren't any other Deputy Chiefs with more time, time in rank and qualifications....... <_<

Wow, different from the rumor I heard. I heard George Glover (former EFD chief) was coming out of retirment....

And is the fire chief different from the commisioner? Is that who selected the chief?

When a position of rank goes from one that was originally a civil service one to one of appointment, you lose all control. You become nothing but a "Yes Man" and Puppet of the City Administration. Period! Unfortunately there are many out there that love the Authority and Perks that come with such Promotions and sell their souls. Sad but true.

Thats the biggest "SKIP" so far in my career! Consistant they are. According to the new Chief, "he took a class to learn how to run the FD". Hats off to him, if he can straighten the place out he is my hero!

Edited by hudson144

Thats the biggest "SKIP" so far in my career! Consistant they are.

I gove you guys credit for going in every day...dont know if I could take the constant beatdowns.......

It sure is nice being retired and living in Putnam County.

He took a class to learn how to run a fire department. Absolutely amazing. Did the mayor take a class on how to run a city....

Thats the biggest "SKIP" so far in my career! Consistant they are. According to the new Chief, "he took a class to learn how to run the FD". Hats off to him, if he can straighten the place out he is my hero!

Oh I saw that class on-line Fire Chief 101 it is a 3 hour tour Oh Class. We all know what happen to the S.S. Minow................. Good Luck to you guys.

First they hire convicts, now they just pick a guy to run the Dept. because he took a class? Don't think they offer a class on how to run a department at the county or anywhere for that matter. They might have something for company officers. Just another example of why politics is all just a joke. Maybe the new chief can have them fix all the fire houses and buy some rig so they have spares.

Did the mayor take a class on how to run a city....

actions speak for them selves...., so it would be a NO !!

If you missed the News 12 story, and I don't believe The Journal News has had anything on this, here are some excerpts:

(The story is no longer on News 12.com)

"Mayor Clinton Young denying the fact that he promoted Alfarid Salahuddin from Captain to chief because of favoritism and possible nepotism.

Alfarid's son was recently promoted to Deputy Commissioner of the Recreation Department by Mayor Clinton Young as well.

Tuesday night at city hall, Mayor Young skipped over 6 deputy chief's and two captains to make sure Salahuddin got the job as Chief.

Salahuddin says he has 29 years on the job...and recently graduated from a training program that taught him how to run a fire dept."

"But during Salahuddin's 29 years in the Mount Vernon Fire Department, he has had three disciplinary charges against him...sources say one of them was for allegedly sleeping in the fire truck at a fire scene. The other charges are unknown, but reportedly involved disobeying rules and regulations. But mayor young continues to defend this promotion."

"Word about the promotion spread quickly, many firefighters and those higher up the ranks would not talk on camera fearing their jobs, but sources close to the department say the decision is quote "a disgrace" to the deputy chiefs who have more experience than him. Al Everett has served as Chief for the past 7 years."

© 2009 News12.com & Rainbow Media

If you missed the News 12 story, and I don't believe The Journal News has had anything on this, here are some excerpts:

(The story is no longer on News 12.com)

© 2009 News12.com & Rainbow Media

Wasn't he also involved in giving away the old rescue truck?

All I can say is good luck to the brothers of MVFD, looks like they will have their hands full YET AGAIN

Just when I thought Mount Vernon was taking a step in the right direction by purchasing some excellent condition used apparatus, this happens. It really is unreal that these types of situations keep happening over and over. What is going through some of these peoples heads?

PLEASE don't lose sight of the fact that MVFD has MANY,MANY great firefighters that have to put up with this day in and day out. I've worked and learned with many of them, and they are what make Mount Vernon a great department. Don't let the antics of the CITY GOVERNMENT and the games they play overshadow that.

I don't see this ever getting better. Even if the feds or state were to take over, which is the only remedy that I can think of. I personally don't think anything can fix Mount Vernon anymore.

One thing that I can't seem to find in all this. Did Chief Everett retire or was he told his services as chief were no longer needed ????? Nothing would suprise me !!!!

One thing that I can't seem to find in all this. Did Chief Everett retire or was he told his services as chief were no longer needed ????? Nothing would suprise me !!!!

He did not retire

what exactly is this class he took that makes him able to be chief of a department?

what exactly is this class he took that makes him able to be chief of a department?

Nepotism 101.

He did not retire

Sounds like what was taking place when I first started on the job in my city.....The chief was fired by the mayor(non civil service)and replaced by a yes man.....Chief took mayor to court ....Chief got job back :mellow:

Ahhh....... the ever present "Yes Man".....keeping the top canidates out of promotions for decades and decades.....

I definitly know that feeling.

Edited by x129K