Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Reconize Great Posts & Members (Member Reputation System)

27 posts in this topic

Members,

We've established a reputation system for members.

In the bottom right hand corner of each screen, there will be a green "+" symbol, as illustrated below:

post-2-126058868471.jpg

A member can only rate a member one time per post per thread, and cannot rate themselves.

We encourage you to use this feature when you see a quality post, such as a good Incident alert or knowledgable post. You can see the members reputation in their profile. The members with the top reputations can be seen in the sidebar of the main index. The higher the number, the better the reputation. We hope this will help to reconize our members who make positive contributions to this forum, and hope you will help us make this feature a success.

Any abuse of this system can be tracked.

Also, in a few days, we'll be rolling out our exciting new Awards system to recognize exceptional members, topics, and post, so stay tuned!!

Why isn't there the reputation button on all posts?

Can you explain that just a little bit better? What post are you looking at?

Can you explain that just a little bit better? What post are you looking at?

Looking at your post, it doesn't have one.

No REP for Mods....?

That could be.

No REP for Mods....?

That's right.

Moderators and other site staff are not (currently) eligible for receiving votes.

Members get to cast only one vote daily, however moderators and staff can vote for more than one post per day.

Remember to use the feature for giving recognition to those posts where you feel it is due.

"Members get to cast only one vote daily"

How come? The other day I read a few posts in differant threads that I felt should have been given a +. I understand only voting for a particular post once, but what if there are multiple posts that are positive/informative and warrant a +?

Its a persons opinion on what is a good or bad post, its just being subjective.

This system will not really prove anything. This is not Ebay with the top rated seller point system.

How come? The other day I read a few posts in differant threads that I felt should have been given a +. I understand only voting for a particular post once, but what if there are multiple posts that are positive/informative and warrant a +?

Just for right now, while the system's new. Once I have a chance to work on it some more, members will be able to give a reputation point (which is the phrase I should have used) more then once a day. One thing is that I am just making sure that member's can't log in under a different screen name and give themselves reputation points for their other screen name (which they cannot-against forum rules), and so we don't have gigantic leaps in numbers right now.

Its a persons opinion on what is a good or bad post, its just being subjective.

This system will not really prove anything. This is not Ebay with the top rated seller point system.

That's right, a reputation is subjective. So far, it seems to me that the members who put a lot of constructive information in their posts are rating the highest, which is exactly the way it should be working.

Again, I just want to reiterate to everyone it's a "reputation point", not a vote.

What is the need for this "Member Reputation System" ?

This will prove nothing.

Its a popularity contest.

tjd1012 likes this

What is the need for this "Member Reputation System" ?

This will prove nothing.

It's not about proving anything. If you don't agree with it, don't participate. It's that simple.

"Its a popularity contest."

Why is that? I have voted a bunch of times now and in everyone of the cases, I did not know the poster personally. I felt that they added something constructive to the topic at hand. As someone else stated, if you dont like it, dont participate. Btw, way to add something positive and constructive the thread.

"Its a popularity contest."

if you dont like it, dont participate.

We're in agreement.

We're in agreement.

Ah shucks game, if'n I hadn't used up my one precious vote already today........

UPDATED:

-Members now may give up to 4 positive reputation points per day.

-Members can also give up to 1 NEGATIVE reputation point per day.

So, if you don't like a member or what they have to say, or you do like what they have to say, then "rep" them.

Also, you can only give one rep per post, either negative or positive. Negative point "spamming" will not be tolerated. You can add a message as to why you are repping the post, or just hit send and you DON'T have to enter a message.

This system is ANONYMOUS, and the person can't see who "repped" them.

Still testing this system and playing with the settings, will see how the negative reputation system works.

UPDATED:

So, if you don't like a member or what they have to say, or you do like what they have to say, then "rep" them.

See post #13.

Key words here: "If you don't like a member"......

Thanks for validating my post! smile.gif

calhobs and INIT915 like this

See post #13.

Key words here: "If you don't like a member"......

Thanks for validating my post! smile.gif

Look up the word "reputation" in the dictionary, please.

Oh, and I might add that other forums I've been studying and other webmasters I've been talking to use a reputation system and it works very well for them once members get used to it and you fine tune it to your particular forum.

Oh, and I might add that other forums I've been studying and other webmasters I've been talking to use a reputation system and it works very well for them once members get used to it and you fine tune it to your particular forum.

seth everything thats been added recently improves this site great job

A couple of forums that I am on use a rep system. The ones that "work well" seem to be a positive only system with a sliding scale of how many "points" you can add to a persons reputation based on post numbers or how long you have been a member. I have yet to see a negative reputation system work, however. None of the sites that I frequent that have these systems actually do anything with the points, though. They just show up next to the members screenname.

seth everything thats been added recently improves this site great job

Thanks! :-)

A couple of forums that I am on use a rep system. The ones that "work well" seem to be a positive only system with a sliding scale of how many "points" you can add to a persons reputation based on post numbers or how long you have been a member. I have yet to see a negative reputation system work, however. None of the sites that I frequent that have these systems actually do anything with the points, though. They just show up next to the members screenname.

With our system, when a member makes a good post, they get a positive rep. The more rep points you have, the better your forum reputation. From looking at the people who have the most rep points so far and looking at the posts they are making, it seems to be working well.

NOT ANYMORE.

I just wanted to remind everyone that you can now rep other members only once per post per thread. MEANING: If they have three great posts in a thread, you can rep them three times, once for each post in that thread. You can also rep them in other threads that day as well, providing they make great posts.

I've been monitoring and fine tuning this, and I see this system is working as members who are making some great posts are recieving good "reps" and ratings. I hope more members are aware of this system and will start using it to reconize great posts. Remember, see a good post, hit the green "+" button....you don't have to enter any comments if you don't want to, just hit send. The member can't see who repped them.

UPDATED:

EMTBravo Staff (except myself) can now recieve reputation points. They have no control over or access to the reputation system. Only I do, for technical and adminsitrative reasons, which is why I'm excluding myself.

Many of our staff participate in discussions and should be elegible to be reconized for great posts that they make in discussions independent of their staff duties just as members would.

Again, any abuse of this system or patterned, targeted reps toward a staff member or any other member can be tracked if needed and abuse of this system will not be tolerated.

Please, don't forget that great IA's and orignal photos can and should be reconized as well!

negative rep will never work. as a Mod of another forum I can tell you we tried it and ended up banning several members after things turned ugly and ended in personal attacks. I think that Positive Rep is a great idea but I would get rid of negative rep immediately if I were you.

Thanks for your input. At this time, negative reputation points are being limited and monitored/evaluated. Also, members cannot see who repped them.