Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

County Aviation: Why did it take so long to get established?

31 posts in this topic

As always, I ran to my dining room window like a little kid last Friday night when I heard County Aviation flying overhead and was thrilled( again like a kid) when the spotlight shined into my backyard.

This unit is providing wonderful assistance to Yonkers and all others, BUT...why did it take forever to establish this in Westchester County when seemingly every other large area had them in use many, many years ago???

Was it a matter of funding and/ or training enough certified pilots perhaps???

Can this unit pinpoint exact street addresses without needing RMP's below???

Thanks County Aviation, keep shining the light again in northeast Yonkers please.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital Center

30 or so years ago at one of the County Fire Control meeting it was announced that there was 1 and maybe 2 Bell type helicopters delivered and sitting at the County Airport. They were army surplus and were given to the County. At the time the County Police did not exist. There was the Parkway Police and the County Sheriff. The story goes that the Parkway P.D. was to get the helicopter(s) for patrolling the parkways, but the Sheriff put claimed to the helicopter(s) for investigating crimes. It was said that there was such a rift between the two police agencies that the County Exec returned the copter(s) to the Government.

x635 likes this

30 or so years ago at one of the County Fire Control meeting it was announced that there was 1 and maybe 2 Bell type helicopters delivered and sitting at the County Airport. They were army surplus and were given to the County. At the time the County Police did not exist. There was the Parkway Police and the County Sheriff. The story goes that the Parkway P.D. was to get the helicopter(s) for patrolling the parkways, but the Sheriff put claimed to the helicopter(s) for investigating crimes. It was said that there was such a rift between the two police agencies that the County Exec returned the copter(s) to the Government.

I can't speak to this one as it predates my service with the County. Could be true, could also be the lore that is the historic rivalry between the old Parkway PD and Sheriff's Office.

As always, I ran to my dining room window like a little kid last Friday night when I heard County Aviation flying overhead and was thrilled( again like a kid) when the spotlight shined into my backyard.

This unit is providing wonderful assistance to Yonkers and all others, BUT...why did it take forever to establish this in Westchester County when seemingly every other large area had them in use many, many years ago???

Was it a matter of funding and/ or training enough certified pilots perhaps???

Can this unit pinpoint exact street addresses without needing RMP's below???

Thanks County Aviation, keep shining the light again in northeast Yonkers please.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital Center

I'm happy to hear that some people don't mind the helicopter noise! :lol:

The Westchester County PD Aviation Unit was proposed many times through the 80's and early 90's but it wasn't until 1994 that all the stars aligned, ducks were in a row, and the moon was green (or whatever it took) and we acquired a helicopter. As you probably know it was a small military surplus observation helicopter and the unit became operational on July 1, 1995. At that time the unit had two pilots assigned, one a military pilot with oodles of experience and the other a fledgling pilot trained by the Department. They worked one shift and had a shoestring budget for fuel, maintenance, etc. As time went on and as they gained experience and the word spread about the unit, the two pilots split to cover two shifts but assigning a tactical flight officer (TFO) to do all the police work was a challenge. Budgets were tight, layoffs threatened, and personnel were quite a commodity so the unit languished for several years with no major changes.

In 2003, I was assigned to the unit and a couple of years later a fourth unit member was added so we had two crews covering two shifts. Operating only one helicopter (and an old one at that) was a challenge and flight time was "budgeted" to avoid maintenance during the busy summer season. Unfortunately when maintenance/inspections were due the unit was essentially out of service. That hurt the units rapport with local PD's because we were often unavailable when needed.

We always lobbied for a new helicopter and were proverbially shot down until 2005 when a bunch of different things came together and enabled us to acquire a brand new Bell 407. It became operational in November 2006. That changed our operation dramatically and expanded our mission capabilities greatly. We are now able to downlink video to ground stations (a work still in progress), aid in fire suppression with a bambi-bucket, perform some rescue work, insert tactical operators and/or rescue personnel, ferry disaster supplies, etc., etc.

Our two original pilots retired in 2007 and 2008 so we suffered with the loss of their flight experience but benefited from an infusion of new personnel and a change in philosophy; rather than being reactive and waiting for calls we are now proactive and respond with ground units whenever possible. Thanks to the support of our Commissioner and the Chiefs/Commissioners of many local jobs in the County this has been a tremendous success. We now arrive with or very often before ground units.

Today we have two pilots, a third in training, two tactical flight officers (TFOs) (one of whom is a mechanic) so we will again be expanding our coverage to two tours. Hopefully if things continue to develop we may be able to further expand coverage in the future.

I bet you're regretting asking a question after reading all this, arent' ya? B)

The helicopter does have a map system that provides near pinpoint accuracy on addresses and the crews know much of the County so some addresses don't even require the map. From the aerial perspective, we can also cover an entire block so knowing the exact house isn't always a concern.

Next time you see a Legislator or the County Executive make sure you tell them how happy you are about having aviation around. Times are tough and we can use all the positive feedback we can get! ;)

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll be more than happy to make up an answer!

Happy Easter

efdcapt115 likes this

One more point about your questions - in NYS there are only seven full-time law enforcement aviation units so Westchester really isn't that far "behind".

State Police (from five different bases)

NYPD

NYC DEP PD

Suffolk County

Nassau County

Onondaga County

Westchester County

A couple of other places work with private entities and use aircraft to some degree (fixed wing and/or helicopter) but that's it in NYS.

Rockland County's HELP program might not be full-time, but "Chopper 1" is extremely active. It can be seen in the air and heard on the air almost daily, performing all sorts of tasks ranging from helping law enforcement, to spotting large brush fires, to lighting up the river under the bridge for the marine units during jumper down calls. It's extremely rare that 44-Control puts a page out for a pilot and gets no response, usually the chopper is up well within 30 minutes of the request. The program enters its 36th consecutive year of flight in 2010, quite an accomplishment when you consider it's a all-volunteer operation.

http://www.co.rockland.ny.us/Fire/HELP.htm

Chopper_1.jpg

Rockland County's HELP program might not be full-time, but "Chopper 1" is extremely active. It can be seen in the air and heard on the air almost daily, performing all sorts of tasks ranging from helping law enforcement, to spotting large brush fires, to lighting up the river under the bridge for the marine units during jumper down calls. It's extremely rare that 44-Control puts a page out for a pilot and gets no response, usually the chopper is up well within 30 minutes of the request. The program enters its 36th consecutive year of flight in 2010, quite an accomplishment when you consider it's a all-volunteer operation.

Rockland's program is OK but it is not nearly as active as you may think. They're severely limited by a variety of factors and they can't stay proficient without flying so it's a catch-22. Don't get me wrong, I am friends with most of their pilots and have the utmost respect for them, but a County like Rockland has the money to do better.

Didn't have access to photos when I posted originally...

post-4772-127025567687.jpg

post-4772-127025565599.jpg

post-4772-127025564344.jpg

post-4772-127025571657.jpg

post-4772-127025570901.jpg

post-4772-127025569459.jpg

Special thanks to Sheldon Cohen of Bell Helicopter for these photos.

efdcapt115 likes this

Hey Chris - an off the cuff question - is there any significance to the fact that your hoist is on the left side while (at least on TV) you usually see them on the right? [Obviously, I know nothing about air ops :-)]

Hey Chris - an off the cuff question - is there any significance to the fact that your hoist is on the left side while (at least on TV) you usually see them on the right? [Obviously, I know nothing about air ops :-)]

Depends on the aircraft. Some aircraft are left and some are right. No real signficance although some will tell you that opposite the pilot makes more sense from a weight and balance perspective.

It has become a very reassuring feeling to hear the noise of the helo coming towards a scene that you are at beside the fact that it is an incredibly valuable resource for the cop on the ground. I have had many jobs with them from foot pursuits to gun runs and it's always good having those guys over head wheather they are looking for a perp or just circling the scene to keep the crowd wondering.

It never gets old when you have a crowd yelling and screaming at the cops and then all of a sudden the helo comes in low, fast and loud and they all look up at the same time and say "oh sh*t"

Thanks again guys and keep up the great work

helicopper and BFD1054 like this

Chris, thank you for sharing so much info on the Aviation Unit. The pictures you added are incredible!

It seems as though WCPD Aviation is much more active now than when i worked there in 01'-02.' As you said, you guys are now more pro-active than re-active. Having a helo has always been a great advantage, but having a newer helo with all of its technology is even better. Working with you, i know just how passionate you are about Aviation and it shows through and through.

A big thank you to you and your fellow Aviation Unit members for what you guys do! You're our eyes in the sky and a huge benefit for the County.

efdcapt115 likes this

There are of course some Aviation Units that you're better off not criticizing... B)

post-4772-12703361519.jpg

post-4772-127033609742.jpg

post-4772-127033613218.jpg

post-4772-127033618629.jpg

Since they might be called upon to respond in all kinds of weather they do train in all kinds of weather.

Photos courtesy of Glenn Grossman, LAPD.

Nope, you're not seeing double double!

post-4772-127033986172.jpg

post-4772-127034001533.jpg

LAPD and San Diego PD land aboard the USS Midway.

Now they're carrier qualified. :lol:

LAPD and San Diego PD land aboard the USS Midway.

Now they're carrier qualified. :lol:

That way when LAPD marine div or SDPD marine div get a carrier they will be ready to go? :P

That way when LAPD marine div or SDPD marine div get a carrier they will be ready to go? :P

LA has just about everything else. It wouldn't surprise me in the least!!! :lol:

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital Center

You guys in Westchester are very luck to have any aviation unit. I work for a municipal PD in Bergen County (NJ) and there has been talk for many years about Bergen County getting a helicopter. In NJ, aviation support is handled by NJSP, however most of their missions are for medical calls, not law enforcement. There was a rumor going around last year that Bergen and Rockland were going to have a joint helicopter, but that obviously hasn't happened. In NJ, I'm only aware of NJSP, Newark PD, and I think Camden County Sheriff having helicopters. Bergen County just recently acquired the use of a small single engine plane and they have been patrolling with it. I know my PD has primarily used NJSP, but we have also used Port Authority and NYPD. I've flown with NJSP and NYPD, both a great bunch of cops. It is frustrating that one of the wealthiest counties in the US, does not have its own aviation unit, but I guess a fixed wing aircraft is a start...

Scott

Thanks for the info Chris. Love the pic of Seneca, my favorite slobering pooch :D, jumping out of the helo. I've seen first hand what a great asset you are to the whole county, from assisting Tarrytown with jumpers on the Hudson to listening to you guys work when I'm working the desk over the summer. Keep up the good work, all of us on the ground breathe a sigh of relieve when you are over head.

Chris,

Thank you for the informative postings and pictures.

If it isn't already being done, check out the wooded area of Sprain Ridge Park between the pool and the Ridge Hill project south, I was on a fitness walk there weeks back on the trails and stumbled on to a burned out car driven in likley from the southbound Sprain Pkwy below. It probably was dumped long ago, as jersey barriers were installed along the parkway to prevent ATV's from using the area. This isolated woods could also become a area for harvesting pot plants--but I saw none.

I remember years back seeing on TV that a PD in the San Diego area had aquired a helicopter from a drug forfeiture case. What a nice catch !!!

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital E.R.

If it isn't already being done, check out the wooded area of Sprain Ridge Park between the pool and the Ridge Hill project south, I was on a fitness walk there weeks back on the trails and stumbled on to a burned out car driven in likley from the southbound Sprain Pkwy below. It probably was dumped long ago...

Do this after you take care of my project K. LOL!

When did we get a helicopter in Westchester?

We didn't, you keep calling NYPD. :P

If it isn't already being done, check out the wooded area of Sprain Ridge Park between the pool and the Ridge Hill project south, I was on a fitness walk there weeks back on the trails and stumbled on to a burned out car driven in likley from the southbound Sprain Pkwy below. It probably was dumped long ago, as jersey barriers were installed along the parkway to prevent ATV's from using the area. This isolated woods could also become a area for harvesting pot plants--but I saw none.

Was that the maroon Nissan or Toyota? Yup, it's already been checked. It was stolen but nobody wants to haul the wreck out of there so I guess it will be there until it rots. Before O-wind jumps on me about this, it has been updated as recovered in NYSPIN already. ;)

There were a couple of other old wrecks back in there along the power line right of way but I think the accessible ones have been removed. It had to be pretty funny when the kid went home and told dad that the car was two miles off the road stuck on a rock.

With the resources available from the SP both from Newburgh and from LI and "mutual aid" from NYC, it seems like quite a duplication of services during these difficult economic times.

With the resources available from the SP both from Newburgh and from LI and "mutual aid" from NYC, it seems like quite a duplication of services during these difficult economic times.

....and the gloves come off! LOL!

....and the gloves come off! LOL!

No gloves Dan, I think it's a great service to have. The timing is a bit odd though while everyone is being asked to tighten their belts.

Interesting perspective. There are no state police aircraft on Long Island so the only option would be from Newburgh. The State Police mission priority is medevacs so they're configured and staffed for that; we're staffed primarily for law enforcement and light search and rescue. We are the only aviation resource in Westchester County so you can't call that a duplication of resources. By this I mean we are paid for and serve the residents of Westchester County, not NYC, not Long Island or anywhere else.

If the County Administration did away with our unit and relied upon NYC it wouldn't be "mutual" aid, would it? NYPD would be using its resources to serve Westchester County, where's the logic in that for the NYPD? Even now, when there could conceivably be reciprocal assistance, the NYPD does not routinely come up to Westchester except for their air-sea-rescue mission or unusual incidents.

Regarding these tough economic times, we've had our budget "adjusted" (read cut) accordingly and are always subject to scrutiny to insure that our operations are valued by the local communities and most important cops on the ground. Despite the perception to the contrary, use of aviation in law enforcement can be very cost-effective.

No gloves Dan, I think it's a great service to have. The timing is a bit odd though while everyone is being asked to tighten their belts.

What do you mean the timing? We've been around for 15 years; we're not something new. I think I'm missing your point. :blink:

If you believe this, then we could also get rid of PD, FD & EMS in Westchester and rely on mutual aid from everyone else, but it would not be mutual then would it?