Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Keith00923

FDNY test in 2011

43 posts in this topic

Heard that fdny is having a test in 2011 its on facebook(i know that it isnt a valid source) and i wanted to see if anybody could verify or disprove this???

Heard that fdny is having a test in 2011 its on facebook(i know that it isnt a valid source) and i wanted to see if anybody could verify or disprove this???

Take the Firefighter Examination

Become an FDNY Firefighter

Apply: The next test date and filing period is undetermined.

Take the test: The next test date and filing period is undetermined.

If you're an FDNY Paramedic or EMT, take the promotional exam to become a Firefighter:

Apply: The next test date and filing period is undetermined.

Take the test: The next test date and filing period is undetermined.

I know a few recruiters that are telling people that filing will open around January of 2011, but it all depends on DCAS and if the new test is completed. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if filling didn't open till summer.

Hey, if you're a minority from NYC do you still get free transportation to and from the test and a waived application fee?

Of course, I'll still take it even if the system is screwed.

Anyone is eligible for the waived application fee. It is income based and handled by DCAS. The rides are handled by the recruitment unit. Talk to them and get a ride.

Instead of giving another test we should just give any minority that signs up the job. So there wont be any more lawsuits until people who took the last test that passed and deserve the job for age discrimination that are now to old to get the job they worked and studied hard for!!!

spyda308, M' Ave and effd3918 like this

As someone who had an academy date and got screwed by those racists called the vulcans I have some info. The city is working on a new test that will be ready for filing no earlier than November of 2011 but realistically probably later. If all goes flawlessly the first proby class would be graduating late summer to early fall of 2012! How the city that is already -300 under headcount can wait that long is beyond me. At that point they will be -1000 under if they dont make serious cuts. The appeal for list 6019 is in the works now.

I heard from another message board that the test was unofficially moved back at least 3 months, meaning April. Combine that with paratrooper75's info, and I think it's safe to say it won't be in Jan 2010.

Sure, free rides to the test, wake up call the morning of, and dumbed down test.....yada yada yada..........

Question:

The percentage of test takers who are offered employment by the FDNY has, historically, been about the same as the acceptance rate to Harvard. How come Harvard isn't making it easier to get in?

Answer:

BECAUSE WHEN YOU HAVE A HUGE APPLICANT POOL, YOU GET TO DEMAND THE BEST! What is so difficult to understand about that. If there aren't enough minority candidates that make the cut, TOO BAD! Better spend a little time working on the school and family institutions that are responsible for producing a viable candidate for employment.

That won't happen though.......we'll just take a job that tens-of-thousands apply for, and give it to people who couldn't put forth an ounce of effort and STUDY!

BFD1054 likes this

As someone who had an academy date and got screwed by those racists called the vulcans I have some info. The city is working on a new test that will be ready for filing no earlier than November of 2011 but realistically probably later. If all goes flawlessly the first proby class would be graduating late summer to early fall of 2012! How the city that is already -300 under headcount can wait that long is beyond me. At that point they will be -1000 under if they dont make serious cuts. The appeal for list 6019 is in the works now.

As per our Union President Steve Cassidy..................Firehouse closings are gonna be almost definite this year..........Close enough companies, and there's your 300 guys, dispersed amongst the remaining firehouses.

In addition to the lawsuit against the city by the jerkoff Vulcans...............It's gonna be a long time till they put a proby class in............I really feel for the guys from list 6019! I just hope that they all remember WHO delayed or prevented their hiring if and when they ever get on the job!!!!!

effd3918 likes this

Court documents released last week stated that the FDNY would open their firefighter test for filing on July 5th 2011. The vulcans insisted that a test fee of $54 was way too much so the filing date is postponed a week. Look for the filing period to open next week for FDNY firefighter unless there is another court delay. Exam 6019 from 2007 is still alive and waiting for the appeals process but it is highly unlikely they will ever use it. If you took exam 6019 from 2007 and are now too old to take this exam (max 29 years old) you can still take it up to age 35. Goodluck, 20 houses are staying open, they keep losing guys to retirement every day, and haven't hired since 2008.

batt. 12 likes this

Well I hope you guys escape the cross hairs next year Marc. I know how much pride you have in your company!

-800+ in the firefighter rank and growing every month

I am a volunteer firefighter /EMT and am also serving my country in the USAF. I am thinking about getting out of the military soon and am planning on take the test for the FDNY. It is really unfortunate that because of a small group of ppl that did not have the educational background to full fill their dream ruined it for those who made it in class 6019. Now I know that my pride as firefighter and as a Puerto Rican, it would piss me off that when I pass this new test for the FDNY. It will be cheapened by the fact that these ignorant ppl have lowered the bar so they could make it. I don’t know how they can live with themselves furthermore aspire to be fire fighters in the FDNY. This job is not for those faint of heart who will complain if it gets to hot or their tired, Giving up in this line of work is not an option. Sorry I got on my soap box but I love what I do and I hope to have the honor of working with all of you some day. GOD BLESS.

I am a volunteer firefighter /EMT and am also serving my country in the USAF. I am thinking about getting out of the military soon and am planning on take the test for the FDNY. It is really unfortunate that because of a small group of ppl that did not have the educational background to full fill their dream ruined it for those who made it in class 6019. Now I know that my pride as firefighter and as a Puerto Rican, it would piss me off that when I pass this new test for the FDNY. It will be cheapened by the fact that these ignorant ppl have lowered the bar so they could make it. I don’t know how they can live with themselves furthermore aspire to be fire fighters in the FDNY. This job is not for those faint of heart who will complain if it gets to hot or their tired, Giving up in this line of work is not an option. Sorry I got on my soap box but I love what I do and I hope to have the honor of working with all of you some day. GOD BLESS.

The ignorant people you speak of are all current members of the dept led by Captain Washington. This was not the fault of the applicants or candidates.

Court documents released last week stated that the FDNY would open their firefighter test for filing on July 5th 2011. The vulcans insisted that a test fee of $54 was way too much so the filing date is postponed a week. Look for the filing period to open next week for FDNY firefighter unless there is another court delay. Exam 6019 from 2007 is still alive and waiting for the appeals process but it is highly unlikely they will ever use it. If you took exam 6019 from 2007 and are now too old to take this exam (max 29 years old) you can still take it up to age 35. Goodluck, 20 houses are staying open, they keep losing guys to retirement every day, and haven't hired since 2008.

Any update on this?

Yea, there was a delay do to the fact that the Vulcans felt the exam fee of $54 was too much. The judge ordered the fee be the same as the 2007 exam at $30. Also the judge has mandated that all applicants MUST fill in their race on the demographic card or their exam won't be valid. This stuff makes me sick to my stomach. Anyway, the filing will open this week or next per the court documents released yesterday and today.

Also the judge has mandated that all applicants MUST fill in their race on the demographic card or their exam won't be valid.

Didn't think you could mandate that. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. My advice is to those pursuing a career as a firefighter to take every exam you can.

M' Ave likes this

I also thought that was illegal.. Every test I've taken has always said that is optional. I feel like I am being discriminated against because I am white now.

M' Ave likes this

Yea the way they worded it makes it sound like its only for the courts use in the lawsuit and in no way will effect getting hired because it is in fact illegal. Whatever. This judge is out of his mind.

I also thought that was illegal.. Every test I've taken has always said that is optional. I feel like I am being discriminated against because I am white now.

You are being discriminated against. In fact, anyone who tries hard and puts in effort is being discriminated against. That being said, don't let this nonsense steer you wrong. Study hard, take the test and wait....hopefully not too long. We need a lot of people and will hire deep into the next list, I'm sure of it.

Feel free to fire away any questions.

effd3918 likes this

You are being discriminated against. In fact, anyone who tries hard and puts in effort is being discriminated against. That being said, don't let this nonsense steer you wrong. Study hard, take the test and wait....hopefully not too long. We need a lot of people and will hire deep into the next list, I'm sure of it.

Feel free to fire away any questions.

Indications are the first 1,000 will be hired quickly. Then not so fast.

First 1,000? How many do you project will take the exam? What is considered a desireable grade?

First 1,000? How many do you project will take the exam? What is considered a desireable grade?

You will probably need a 100 with all the vets getting 5 points and NYC residents getting 5 points.

Put it this way, they expect 40,000 to sign up to take the test. Last test there were around 20,000 who passed it. The 2003 exam went into the 5000+ range on list numbers (correct me if Im wrong). On the exam from 2007 the highest list number that didn't have any bonus points (ie. Vets, Legacy, City resident) wasn't even in the top 2000. So get close to a 100 and you're in good shape get a 100+ and you are in better shape, get a 120 and you're all set. The top 2000 were only seperated by less than 3 points and all had bonus points of some kind.

On a side note,

To do some math to promote optimism (lol) heres a way to look at it: FDNY CID states it takes around 2.5 list numbers to hire one proby. In a perfect world they hold two academies a year at 220ish probys each (300 minus the 80 or so from the promo test, again a rough estimate scenerio here) for four years that'll be 1760 hires which means reaching around list number 4400ish. Thats a very rough estimate but it'll give you an idea. There are obviously way too many variables to take into consideration for an accurate estimate.

Hope I helped..

Edited by paratrooper75
Alpinerunner and 16fire5 like this

Indications are the first 1,000 will be hired quickly. Then not so fast.

I'm sure they'll bang out a couple of classes of 300 right off the bat, but what will they do after that. Space the classes out, or continue to run them with fewer candidates per class?

Yea the way they worded it makes it sound like its only for the courts use in the lawsuit and in no way will effect getting hired because it is in fact illegal. Whatever. This judge is out of his mind.

What part exactly are you saying "is in fact illegal"?

The judge ordered that anyone found to be lying about their race be automatically disqualified. I have not seen anything where the judge ordered this section to be mandatory, as it has always been optional in the past.

On a happier note ... Firefighter Exam Notice

What part exactly are you saying "is in fact illegal"?

EEOC makes it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. It is also illegal to discriminate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit.

If this judge wants to promote the hiring of minorities, thats all fine and dandy and makes for a culturally diverse workplace, but to set a precedence for which race you MUST hire would be completely illegal.

EEOC makes it illegal to discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. It is also illegal to discriminate against a person because the person complained about discrimination, filed a charge of discrimination, or participated in an employment discrimination investigation or lawsuit.

If this judge wants to promote the hiring of minorities, thats all fine and dandy and makes for a culturally diverse workplace, but to set a precedence for which race you MUST hire would be completely illegal.

That's correct, but that statement has no applicability to this case whatsoever.