Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Out and About, Coast to Coast!

40 posts in this topic

I haven't done one of these in a while. I have been doing some trips, but my time in between has been very busy, so I haven't had the time to post anything. Get ready, here it comes. 4 and half months, to be exact of everybody's favortie Fire Dispatchers journeys!!!

First stop, Nashville. Engine and Truck 28, second due to the Opry, and Cooters Dukes of Hazzard museum!!!

NE-28.jpg

NT-28.jpg

Followed up with Engine 9 and Tower 2 from Downtown.

NE-9.jpg

NT-2.jpg

Next stop, the suburbs and Wilson County Emergency Services Station 31. Here's Engine, Tanker, and Brush 31.

WC-31.jpg

WT-31.jpg

WB-31.jpg

The camera lay dormant for a little while. I had given the Lake Carmel Explorer Post, my fire service alma mater, a little tour around the city. After we got done, I was standing in the Bronx Dispatchers Office when an all hands was transmitted for Echo Place and the Grand Concourse. Here's some shots I took from there. Ladder 59 and Engine 42.

L-59-1.jpg

E-42.jpg

I had heard the new fireboat Bravest was in town, and ran down to the dock to get some shots of that. These are kinda ehh by my standards, but I got better ones coming.

M6Bravest2.jpg

M6Bravest6.jpg

M6Bravest5.jpg

More coming..

I think I went for a good month plus without shooting anything, but I did snatch a few apparatus shots at that street renaming for my colleague, Dennis O'Connell. Here's 88 Engine. I really need to get over to 88/38 and shoot their rigs proper.

E-88-2.jpg

Vacation came along in Late April into May and I was lucky enough to check out the Metro Fire Photographers meet over in New Jersey. Here's Moonachie, Saddle Brook, and Little Ferry's Tower Ladders.

TL-805.jpg

SBTL-3.jpg

LF-307.jpg

We follow this up with Palisades Park, Oradell, East Rutherford, Bergenfield, and Nutley.

PPE-1.jpg

OSQ-22.jpg

ERE-3.jpg

ERR-4.jpg

BF744.jpg

Nutley-4.jpg

Thank Heaven there were folks who knew how to take Apparatus pix here, or I woulda been lost. Here's North Arlingtons Rescue, Carlstadts Engine ( ME LIKE!!!),

NAR-5.jpg

CE-2-2.jpg

On a more serious note, here's two engines repainted for Pink Heals. Breast Cancer Support and Research. Ladies, Protect, Feel, and whatever else you have to do to keep the Boobies!!!

BRCE-2.jpg

BRCE-1.jpg

Pink.jpg

Next Stop, Maryland.

firedude, sfrd18, BFD1054 and 1 other like this

PS, I think I got a picture with Jeeper, but he's a little camera shy, so I'll leave him out. I got in touch with a couple of friends from the West Coast who were coming out to shoot some stuff in Maryland, and I'm never one to miss an out and about, so off I went to Balitomore County. First stop, Kingsville. They run this Ferrarra, ALF, A Sterling Tanker with a vacuum pump, and an older rescue truck.

KVE-482.jpg

KVE-481.jpg

KVT-488.jpg

SQ-48.jpg

My friends don't get to see too many uniquely colored apparatus, so this day was a treat for them. Next stop, Long Green, MD

LG381.jpg

LG382.jpg

LG387.jpg

Over to Providence.

PRE-292.jpg

I cajoled and begged them to check out Baltimore County Station 1 after we had lunch, and I think they were glad they did. Here's Engine 101, a 2002 ALF, and Engine 73, a Freightliner being used as a spare. They also got the truck, I took it a few years ago, and my pictures of it this day didn't come out too well.

BCo-E-101.jpg

BCo-Spare.jpg

Just around the bend was Lutherville. I love coming here.

Squad 303, an 08 Velocity with a 10 ton crane.

SQ-303-3.jpg

Engine 307

LvE-307.jpg

Engine 301

E-301.jpg

From here it was over to Fredrick. Engine 12, Tower 1, Tanker 12.

FRE-12.jpg

FRT-1.jpg

FRTL-1.jpg

The sunlight started to fade, and we made our last stop of the day. Walkersville. Wow, just wow. Engine/Tanker 114.

ET-114.jpg

Brush 116, reminds me a little of 17-3-1.

B-116.jpg

Here's Engine 111. The Tower was out of service, but I think I may go down myself to shoot it eventually

Wv-111.jpg

Now Maryland, like New Jersey has First Aid Squads that handle the Extrication. Here's the Walkersville Rescue. Yes folks, those are TWO Roto Rays on it and yes, that is a train horn on the bumper.

WvSq-24.jpg

Task Force 7, FF398, sfrd18 and 1 other like this

In between this, I had a doctors appointment in Manhattan, and rolled up on an all hands on the Upper West Side. Here's Engines 76, 47, Rescue 1, a bus from Lenox Hill and Squad 41.

E-76.jpg

E-47.jpg

R-1Working.jpg

LHBus.jpg

SQ-41.jpg

At the request of one of my co-workers, I went out to Uniondale, to get their rigs. Here's Engines 752 and 7522. Just about Twin Velocities. One is an 09, and the other a 10.

752.jpg

7522.jpg

Engines 753 and 7533(ME GUSTA!!!)

753.jpg

7533.jpg

Rescue and Mini Attack 755

75Rescue.jpg

755.jpg

Stump Jumper with a need of a new tire.

75Brush.jpg

Back to the City in a minute.

sfrd18, firedude and FF398 like this

These next few pictures were taken over the course of about three days in the city between Queens, the Bronx, Manhattan, and the Rock. First stop, Engine 302/Tower Ladder 155. First due to Kennedy Airport.

E-302-3.jpg

TL-155-.jpg

Engine 308, the firehouse I buffed in when I was a kid. Still imo, one of the sharpest looking rigs in the job.

E-308-6.jpg

Up to the Rock, Engines 241, 247, 258, 260,22 at that all hands I mentioned. Ladders 26, 152,

E-241.jpg

E-247.jpg

E-258.jpg

E-260.jpg

E-22.jpg

L-26.jpg

TL-152.jpg

Here's 127 Truck at a drill and the 50 Battalion at the Rock.

TL-127.jpg

BN50.jpg

Up to the Bronx and out to Queens for a little baseball love.

Task Force 7 and sfrd18 like this

OK Baseball Fans, here we go.

E-68.jpg

L-49.jpg

Protectors of Citi Field, Engine 273/Ladder 129. Great way to finish off a nice day with a childhood friend at the ballpark.

273-129.jpg

I did a baseball park tour of Camden Yards, but no rig shots. Went down to DC a few days later for Nationals Park and got Engine 6, Engine 7, first due to the park, what DC calls a heavy rescue, and a spare tiller.

DCE-6.jpg

DCE-7.jpg

DCSpareT.jpg

DCWrecker.jpg

Back Home to the Bronx, and a visit to 53 Engine and 43 Truck in Spanish Harlem. Thank You, Dan!!!

E-53.jpg

46 Truck and 79 Engine.

TL-46-3-1.jpg

E-79-2.jpg

More Baseball, Engine 49 in Philly. First due to Citizens Bank Park Home of the Phillies(BOOOOOOOO!) and to the Linc(Eagles, BOOOOOOO!!!) and the Wells Fargo Center, Home of the Flyers(BOOOOOOOOO!!!)

PE-49.jpg

I think I hear the West Coast, and Rescue Kujo calling...

sfrd18 and FF398 like this

The LA County Fire Museum had an event in Carson 2 weekends ago called 51 In Quarters. They had both engines and the squad used in Emergency! If you think for one cotton pickin minute I was missing this, you're nuts. So I packed my stuff, hopped a plane, and waited, and waited, and then took off for Long Beach. I met up with RK the next day and a couple of friends from another board. I had planned to do Long Beach my last day, but the works got gummed up a bit. Here is where it is good to have friends. First stop, Long Beach Airport. CFR 1, Crash 3 and Crash 5 out of Fire Station 15.

LBCFR-1.jpg

LBCFR-1-2.jpg

LBCrash3.jpg

LBCrash5.jpg

Next stop, Light Force 17 and the Training Center. We ran into a little resistance, but like I said, it's good to have friends. Legal stuff, so when I eventually do my book, they won't be in it.

LBE-17.jpg

LBT-17-2.jpg

Ran around back, and got Engines 10, 22, 6, and the Technical Rescue.

LBE-10.jpg

LBE-22.jpg

LBE-6.jpg

LBTRT-6.jpg

From here we headed over to Station 20, and the Fireboat Liberty. From what I could gather, they are presently planning replacements for their boats.

LBE-20.jpg

LBFB-Liberty.jpg

For RK, myself and our band of merry buffs, it was crunch time. Lunch, or LA City Boat 2?? LA City Boat 2, or Lunch?? We chose the boat and I'm glad we did. We got to Station 112, and they were not home. So we watched and waited, and with my half blind, mildly keen ex-sailors eyes, I spied them coming into the harbor. SHIP AHOY!!! JACKPOT!!!!

LABoat2-2.jpg

LABoat2-4.jpg

They back this thing into their berth. Just like a rig.

LABoat2-5.jpg

Their Stablemate, Engine 112

LAFDE-112-2.jpg

Lunch time...Ahhhhh

Up to Station 48 in a moment.

Engine and Light Force 48, with Squad 48, the Haz Mat Rig.

LAFDE-48.jpg

E-248.jpg

T-48.jpg

SQ-48-2.jpg

More City coming up.

Task Force 7, FF398 and sfrd18 like this

Next stop, Station 36 for the Foam Tender. From there, Station 85.

FT-36.jpg

Task Force and USAR 85.

I am not happy with the way some of these came out.

LAFDE-85.jpg

LAFDE-285.jpg

T-85.jpg

USAR85.jpg

We ran over to Torrance to get their HQ. There is a really nice Sept. 11th Memorial out in front. Here's Engine and Truck 91, and Rescue 93.

TOE-91.jpg

TOT-91.jpg

TOR-93.jpg

RK and I stopped by Harbor General, which was used for exterior shots as Rampart Hospital in E! Then over to the hotel to meet a few folks. 51 in Quarters, coming up!!!

Task Force 7 and sfrd18 like this

Up at the Crack of Dawn the next day and headed over to Station 127. Home of the show Emergency! I shot everything I possibly could. The LA County Fire Museum had expected 500 people to show up. Over TWO THOUSAND showed up. I had to wait in line two and a half hours just to buy a few things for friends. Here we go.

Light Force 127, present residents.

E-127-4.jpg

Q-127-3.jpg

Mobile Command and a Crew Carrier.

LACoFC-2.jpg

LACoCrew.jpg

Tender, USAR, and Heavy Lift Rescue 103.

Tender103.jpg

USAR103-3.jpg

HR-103.jpg

USARTF-103.jpg

Ok, I've teased you all enough. Here's the 1965 Crown used in the first two seasons of the show. It was marked for Engine 60 in Universal, and covered with 51 for shooting.

This thing stopped on 223rd Street and let out a backfire that nearly scared me outta my shorts.

Crown1.jpg

Crown2.jpg

The 1972 Ward La France Ambassador. This is the first time these rigs have been in this firehouse in over 30 years.

Ward1.jpg

Ward2.jpg

After a two and a half hour wait, and emptying my wallet with gifts for friends. The highlight for the fans. Randy "John Gage" Mantooth, and Captain Mike Stoker (LACoFD, Ret.)

100_2488.jpg

100_2487.jpg

100_2536.jpg

100_2534.jpg

SQ-51-3.jpg

More coming!!!

FF398, x635, firedude and 3 others like this

By this time, I was pretty happy with my results, and decided to get moving. Here's Foam 10, driven over by my pal Engineer Dave Rathke. It's a 1990 Van Pelt Foam Tender.

Foam10.jpg

Engine 236, which gets a LOT of mention and air time in the course of that show. Today, they get relocated constantly. Interstate 236, seeing the County, one Move up at a time.

LACoE-236-3.jpg

I had shot Station 116 on one of my last visits, but, they had a new Quint and Squad. This quint is a hand me down, I believe it served as Q-162 for a while. This is only one of a few rear mount quints in the county. The house is tight, so they can't fit a tiller. Quint and Squad 116. First due to the Home Depot Center.

Q-116.jpg

Sq-116-2.jpg

After standing in the sun for the better part of 7 hours, Duane and I decided to call it a day. Sunday, I ran over to the Museum for a BBQ and to mingle with some friends. Got to meet Captain Stoker and have lunch with him and his family. Then I got to picture taking.

Here's Engine 36, a 1955 Crown

36Crown.jpg

Engine 51 pulling in. This was THE shot for me.

Ward5.jpg

Station51-3.jpg

Station51-4.jpg

Sq-51-6.jpg

The Museum is open the first Sunday of each month. I highly recommend a visit.

Ran up to Hollywood for some more gifts, then over to Malibu for Station 70. I try to explain how cool this station is, in the sense, you walk out the apparatus door, and a few hundred feet away, is the beach.

100_2570.jpg

100_2623.jpg

100_2625.jpg

Patrol 70.

P-70.jpg

Up to Topanga Canyon and Station 69. Captain Stoker worked here in between filming days.

P-69.jpg

E-69-2.jpg

Missed one, LF-127 and E-236.

127-236.jpg

Last stops on my trip coming up.

Edited by JBE
sfrd18 and Task Force 7 like this

WOW! great shots!!! Looks like you guys had some fun out there! Thanks for sharing and keep them coming! BTW... Any chance you can send me a copy of the squad 51 shots? Again great shots!

Compton, Engine 421.

Compton421.jpg

421hatch.jpg

Back home for the Blessing of the Fleet.

My cousin is in town from San Francisco, and he's a bigger buff than I am. I know, hard to believe. But it's true. So I took him over to the Intrepid for the Blessing of the Fireboat Fleet. This is the first time I have gone to this, and I was not disappointed.

21 Truck

TL-21.jpg

2 Truck

L-2.jpg

54 Engine

E-54.jpg

Marine 1.

M-343-9.jpg

1 Alpha

M-1A-1.jpg

M-1A-2.jpg

Marine 6

M6Bravest8.jpg

M6Bravest7.jpg

Marine 9

M-9-1.jpg

M-9-2.jpg

The John J. Harvey

Harvey.jpg

FF398 and Task Force 7 like this

Boats3.jpg

NYPD got in for a visit.

NYPDHarbor1.jpg

Water3.jpg

Water2.jpg

Boats2.jpg

M-343-6-1.jpg

M-9-3.jpg

Bus.jpg

Thank you all for checking these out. This was as much fun to share as it was to do. As you can see by the smile on my face..

JimSq51-3.jpg

See ya on the next one. PS Somers guys, can anyone set me up with TL-18 and L-48?? Humongous Thank yous to Rescue Kujo, the Long Beach Fire Department, especially Chief Dispatcher Liz Battle, everyone at the museum and FS 127, 116, 69, and 70. Chief Melanson from Compton, Eddie in Uniondale, and anyone else I missed.

Edited by JBE

Jimmy, it is always a pleasure to run around LA LA Land with you. Anytime buddy....

Great photos JBE! Looks like a busy 4 months, but well worth it

Duane, next time, we take your car!!!

Duane, next time, we take your car!!!

Excellent Photos, keep them coming

Great Photos!!! Thanks for posting, it was worth the wait!

Mr. P, that's all I have for now. I'm waiting to hear from Derek C, from FAJ and one of his colleagues out there about a trip out this way to do FDNY and a few other departments up by you.

Great pictures very nicely done

Awesome shots! Ya' gotta' love Emergency!

Glad you guys like. Like I said this was more fun than I could possibly imagine.

Awesome Shots!!! Thanks for sharing! Wish I had seen you at the Blessing of the Fleet.

Great stuff, as always! Me very jealous!

That was a lot of fun looking at! Thanks for posting the great shots!

Great SHOTS!!!! Thanks so much for taking the time to put them together.

WOW!! :blink: You've been very busy running all over the good Ol' USA! Great job as always on all the photos, Jimmy. :D

I do have to get down to your neck of the woods soon. I have a few other places in mind, like Milwaukee, Detroit, a little more Boston(Just an excuse to hang out with Skip), and definitely want to get a few more unique colored rigs in PA.

Hey JBE, by any chance did the Compton Chief say they were doing a second season of First In?