Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Boston FD's New Marine 1

33 posts in this topic

SWEET!!!! I wish I was heading up to Beantown soon so I could take a few pics of her at the docks.

He (the John S. Damrell) is scheduled to be delivered just after Labor Day. Final sea trials are currently underway. One of my former Lieutenants at L14 is now at the Marine Unit, as soon as I have a firm date I will advise. The Captain of the Marine Division, Paul Greene, just put in his papers to retire & the position is posted as of August 1.

Edited by SOlsonBFDL14

Thanx buddy, hope all is well with you and the family. I'll be in touch.

The crew of 1 Lieutenant & 4 pilots will be leaving Ontario on August 29th. They will take the boat from Kingston ON down Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, across the Erie Canal to the Hudson River, the Hudson River to New York Harbor, Long Island Sound to Block Island Sound, Buzzards Bay to the Cape Cod Canal, Cape Cod Bay to Boston Harbor. Apparently this route is shorter, and thus cheaper, than taking the Saint Lawrence Seaway up to the Maritimes & down. The city wants it in service prior to 9/11/11.

The crew of 1 Lieutenant & 4 pilots will be leaving Ontario on August 29th. They will take the boat from Kingston ON down Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, across the Erie Canal to the Hudson River, the Hudson River to New York Harbor, Long Island Sound to Block Island Sound, Buzzards Bay to the Cape Cod Canal, Cape Cod Bay to Boston Harbor. Apparently this route is shorter, and thus cheaper, than taking the Saint Lawrence Seaway up to the Maritimes & down. The city wants it in service prior to 9/11/11.

Latest is they're leaving on 9/6 and returning late on the 12th, followed by a month of intensive training.

Beautiful fireboat; just one problem. The Red Sex emblem on the side of the cabin. Eesh.

PS: Made ya look :rolleyes:

Much safer route too in terms of water conditions. Most ships/vessels coming from/into Canada take the inland route as well. The water and weather becomes too unpredictable in the northeast of the atlantic coast. It's amazing how far you can go by water from Kingston, Ontario too. From there you can connect to Peterborough and go through a series of locks/hydraulic lift locks and go through Ottawa and eventually connect in Chicago through a series of rivers/canals and down the Mississippi and out to the gulf of mexico.

would love to know when they are gonna make their way into NY...maybe i can catch a peek as they go down the hudson to the city...hope they have a safe trip...boat looks great

I heard last week they would be in New Haven on the 11th since the NHFD is interested in buying a smiliar boat. So maybe the 10th on the Hudson?? If you called public relations at BFD HQ (617 343-3550) ask for the P.I.O. They might be able to give you an update on progress.

I heard last week they would be in New Haven on the 11th since the NHFD is interested in buying a smiliar boat. So maybe the 10th on the Hudson?? If you called public relations at BFD HQ (617 343-3550) ask for the P.I.O. They might be able to give you an update on progress.

thanks a bunch i will do that...

Steve McDonald is our PIO. He should be able to help. We are sending 6 members on Tuesday the 6th. They will be flying from Boston to Syracuse & then taking a van from there to Kingston. One of the six came by the firehouse on Wednesday night with the itinarary.

This is the email reply I just got from Steve:

Hello,

The boat is still at the builder in Ontario. There is hurricane damage at Erie Canal so it's scheduled departure of next Wednesday is off. No new date yet.

Steve MacDonald

Public Information Office

Yeah he got back to me really quickly, and on a Saturday morning no less. Talk about awesome customer service!

Per Steve, the boat will no longer be traveling down the Hudson.

Due to the damage at the Erie Canal, the Boston fireboat will now go East to the Atlantic by Montreal and Nova Scotia and be delivered that route.

Regards,

Steve MacDonald

Fire Fighter/Public Information Officer

The locks on the Hudson took quite a hit during the storm.

lr7yzb-dsc1226.jpg

Edited by JackEMT

well looks likeill have swing by on my way home from the big e towards the end of september.

would love to know when they are gonna make their way into NY...maybe i can catch a peek as they go down the hudson to the city...hope they have a safe trip...boat looks great

Should be going down the Hudson today and staying in Perth Amboy (Wednesday)

well i was a little late but a friend of mine saw it going down. ill just stop by within the next few weeks and see it up close @ the dock

Dedication ceremony Thursday Sept 29th 1pm at the Residence Inn Hotel dock on the Charlestown side of the North Washington St bridge, rain or shine.

I was down at the Marine Unit's quarters teaching EMS on Thursday & Friday this past week. The members are currently training on the John S. Damrell. It is unknown when it will go into service, hopefully by the end of the year as it is light years ahead of the Firefighter.

Beautiful fireboat; just one problem. The Red Sex emblem on the side of the cabin. Eesh.

PS: Made ya look :rolleyes:

If that were true, I think they might get stopped by NYPD Harbor Patrol in NY Harbor for "security screening." A Boston Fireboat with a Red Sox logo? "You boys ain't from around here, are ya?"

I came across the John S. Damrell this morning. Boat looks amazing, major upgrade for BFD! The wharf doesn't allow for the best photos without taking a swim!

post-21149-0-75455800-1322242367.jpg

post-21149-0-79669500-1322242398.jpg

post-21149-0-88509700-1322242414.jpg

sfrd18 and FF398 like this

Seems like the new boat is having some initial problems as reported by the Boston Herald:

http://bit.ly/AelqVH

"The city’s shiny, new $4.2 million state-of-the art fire boat — dedicated with great fanfare just six months ago and funded in part by federal stimulus money — has already suffered pump problems and is being yanked out of the water for a hull inspection, the Herald has learned."

Every new boat goes into dry dock for hull inspections at some point. Doing so now before the spring gets going makes sense.

Every new boat goes into dry dock for hull inspections at some point. Doing so now before the spring gets going makes sense.

I was thinking that as well. That entire article seemed very one-sided and misleading. Most of it seemed like less news and more mud flinging.

I was thinking that as well. That entire article seemed very one-sided and misleading. Most of it seemed like less news and more mud flinging.

Indeed... The new FDNY boats went through similar experiences with dry docking occurring to effect warranty issues and tweaks after about 6 months in service. These vessels serve for a half century or more in some cases and getting it right during the early stages set them up for successful careers