Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

Croton Water Rescue - Hurricane Irene aftermath

23 posts in this topic

Condolences to the family and friends of the individual who passed away during the Croton River water rescue yesterday.

I hope the brothers that were tossed into the water aren't too banged up and are doing well.

When someone with on-scene knowledge of the events has a moment, could you post some info about how these events unfolded? What caused the FF's to be thrown from the boat (victims panicked, water flipped boat, off balance rescue attempt etc). Did they ride the current all the way from Silver Lake Beach to the RR trestle (if so that must have been scary as hell). Who made the grab of the civilians and FF's at the trestle. Was there a difference in the type of boat used by PD vs. FD.

Edited by mfc2257

I think after a multi agency debriefing, which would be quite benificial in this case (and nothing negative really occured), we can eventually discuss it here. For now, Kudo's to everyone involved, as this was one of the most indepth incidents anyone involved has ever experienced. Class 5 rapids, inacessable victim, night time rescue, ect. ect.

I personally would like to thank the the Aviation Unit for lighting the way safely home for us and the County TRT boat, we couldn't have done it without you.

Edited by JohnnyOV
x129K, helicopper and Medic411 like this

Agreed. This would be a good scenario to go over what worked and what could be improved on,from as many agencies involved as possible.

I think after a multi agency debriefing, which would be quite benificial in this case (and nothing negative really occured), we can eventually discuss it here. For now, Kudo's to everyone involved, as this was one of the most indepth incidents anyone involved has ever experienced. Class 5 rapids, inacessable victim, night time rescue, ect. ect.

I personally would like to thank the the WCPD Aviation Unit for lighting the way safely home for us and the County TRT boat, we couldn't have done it without you.

well said and good job to all who were there. it was a pleasure to work alongside YFD-Swift Water Team for the first time and look forward to training with you guys in the future. I believe it was the NYPD chopper that led us out though. either way thanks to NYPD, WCPD, and NYSP avaiton units for their help with this incident

I personally would like to thank the the WCPD Aviation Unit for lighting the way safely home for us and the County TRT boat, we couldn't have done it without you.

Your thanks should be directed to the NYPD Aviation Unit/Air Sea Rescue and NYSP Aviation. WCPD Aviation did not respond.

FF398 likes this

Your thanks should be directed to the NYPD Aviation Unit/Air Sea Rescue and NYSP Aviation. WCPD Aviation did not respond.

We were told it was WCPD on the fireground... My apologies. Thanks all around either way.

'>http://

You Tube of the reckless rafters prior to entering the water.

youtube search of "Croton River"

Dr. Peter Engel, 53, a psychiatrist from Cross River, drowned - He can be seen wearing purple.

When someone with on-scene knowledge of the events has a moment, could you post some info about how these events unfolded? What caused the FF's to be thrown from the boat (victims panicked, water flipped boat, off balance rescue attempt etc). Did they ride the current all the way from Silver Lake Beach to the RR trestle (if so that must have been scary as hell). Who made the grab of the civilians and FF's at the trestle. Was there a difference in the type of boat used by PD vs. FD.

Well said JohnnyOV, I think there should be an official debriefing/statement, not just asking on-scene personnel for what happened. This kind of information should only be disseminated by a PIO (there goes that darn ICS stuff again), who is AUTHORIZED by any department to speak about what took place, especially in higher-profile cases/incidents.

'>http://

[/media]

You Tube of the reckless rafters prior to entering the water.

youtube search of "Croton River"

Dr. Peter Engel, 53, a psychiatrist from Cross River, drowned - He can be seen wearing purple.

There are links to other videos of the Croton Dam and the river after this video plays. Having been up there dozens of times (I used to live nearby in New Castle) I can say with certainty I never saw anything like that before; the water coming over the dam and raging down the river. These guys were a bit too cocky to think they could raft that river without a problem. Something the rescuers had to endure; I offer my respect to the members who participated in this rescue. That river was deadly looking, those civilians should have known better....oh well. Rest in Peace Doc.

Edited by efdcapt115

Stupid people will always keep us busy!

Fine job to the rescuers!

x129K likes this

A Post-Incident Review is in planning, until then I can only offer some information.

The original caller reported a raft in the water behind her house on Truesdale Drive (south of Silver Lake Park). The original assignment of E120, TL44, R18 and EMS was dispatched.

Car 2083 arrived and assumed the initial command. While investigating the vessel and asking bystanders, it was revelaed that this raft was occupied by 5 men, none of which were in the raft. At this point, Assistant Chief Vlad confirmed that this was a swift water incident and requested Yorktown FD's Dive/Water Rescue Unit (per our SOG) and E119 for additional personnel.

At this point, I was leaving work and heading back to town in my POV, sans a trunked radio, so I don't know the specifics of what was requested nor updates given by the IC.

As I was entering our area, one of my Past Captains was giving an "Urgent" on our fireground radio reporting our boat had overturned and we had 3 members in need of EMS evaluation at the Echo Canoe Boat Launch (south of the train station). At almost the same time, another Officer giving an "Urgent" reported members rescued additional victims near Maio's Landing off of Nordica Drive and also needed EMS.

When I got to our command post, I assumed command and kept 2083 in charge of the operations section. At this point, Croton PD made a grab of the victim that succumbed to his injuries. Personnel began CPR on him, but he did not survive.

As Yorktown FD M55, Croton PD Boat 2 and the TRT's Zodiac worked their way up to the scene, we confirmed that we could account for four of the five victims. While the boats searched the river, personnel were located on both sides of the river from as far up as Croton Dam to the end of the river where it meets the Hudson. At a point (not sure of the time) one of my other Past Captains and a member of the WCTRT radioed that he had a visual of victim #5. Despite valiant efforts by all boats, they could not reach this victim.

Members of the WCTRT then went upstream and made an in-water rescue attempt, which was unsuccessful. While they planned, made and terminated this effort, personnel began formulating additional plans to reach him. While another attempt using a portable ladder in the water as a better "reaching point" was being established, units started to advise me that the victim was now free of the tree he was grasping and heading downstream. Luckily, the 3 Zodiac units were all in position below his location, and CPD's unit grabbed him and brought him to awaiting EMS at the mouth of the Croton River.

As the IC, I can sum up the whole thing in two words: "pucker factor." I was nervous the entire time about the well-being of all the guys working their asses off trying to rescue this guy. When the transmissions came over that he was loose, I could feel myself clench up, hoping that we could not only find him, but rescue him vs. recover him.

I can not give enough credit to the Croton PD boat, Yorktown FD Water Rescue Team, County Tech Rescue Team and all others on the ground and in the air that worked together to bring this event to a close without any injuries or worse to emergency personnel.

Units that operated:

Croton FD: 2082 (IC), 2083 (Ops), E119, E120, TL44, R18, M32

Croton EMS: 55B1, 55B2

Ossining FD: 2332, 2334, E96, E99, TL42, R14, U51 w/ Zodiac

Ossining EMS: 7405, 36M1, 74A1, 74B1

Cortlandt VAC: 88B1, 88B2

Peekskill EMS: 7511, 75B1

Briarcliff FD EMS: 53B2

Sleepy Hollow EMS: 73B2

Mt. Pleasant ALS: 37M1

Peekskill FD ALS: 39M1 (2 Medics)

Yorktown FD: 2531, R55, M55

Montrose FD: 2271, E121, R51 (Lighting), U53 (Rehab bus)

Montrose VAFD: 2571, MA28 (Lighting)

Irvington FD: 2202, R49 (Divers)

Millwood FD: 2253, R36 (Lighting)

Pleasantville EMS: 7605 (Rehab)

Westchester DES: Car 5/EMS 1, Bat 10, Bat 12, R77, U77, Zodiac

Westchester County PD: Multiple Supervisors, M3

Ossining PD: M15

Croton PD: Multiple Cars, Marine 2

NYSP: Multiple cars, Aviation Unit

NYPD: Aviation Unit

Covering Croton

Peekskill FD: 2342, E131 (who covered 2 additional calls in our district)

Cortlandt EMS: 88B1, relieved by Sleepy Hollow 73B2.

I believe Verplanck 83B1 covered another incident in Croton during this call as well.

On a side note, unless one lives under a rock, this incident has been all over the news. The County and Village have shut all parks and access to the Croton River due to the ongoing currents... and TODAY, Croton PD had to remove 10-20 people - including children - from the Croton River. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!

On behalf of the Croton Fire Department, we thank everyone for their assistance. We couldn't have done it without you.

Bnechis, BFD1054, x129K and 11 others like this

Units that operated:

Covering Croton

I believe Verplanck 83B1 covered another incident in Croton during this call as well.

88B1 was relocated to harmon station then sent on a poss heart attack call on high street. txp to phelps no als avail. sleepy hollow was relocated while we txp to phelps per ur request.

i hope the three guys who went in are doing good.

Thanks for the update. Not surprising, but seems like everyone worked together for the common goal without any problems.

I did find it interesting though that the spokesman on the videos I saw was Commissioner Longworth of DPS .... I also saw a video by the County Exec too complete with his DPS jacket on ....

I could say more but I shouldn't say it in this thread.

Again, excellent job by CFD leadership, and everyone else involved.

This is why I believe a national fund should be setup. All persons that are involved with extreme sports(whitewater rafting and kayak, back country ATV and snowmobile, Helicopter sking, Mountaineering, Spelunking)will pay a $5000.00 fee to assist with their rescue. Why should I have to pay for some a$$h@I3 that wants to foolhardily push the limits of mother nature. You can pay for the boats, helicopters, and special equipment to get your selfish a$$ out of trouble that you yourself has caused. I have seen the cost monetarily, physically, and mentally on local communities and their rescuers.

Edited by Healz

I personally would like to thank the the Aviation Unit for lighting the way safely home for us and the County TRT boat, we couldn't have done it without you.

10-4 on that... Thanks to the eyes in the sky, you guys helped me make it home safe that night. We owe you one!

TRT Marine 77

This is why I believe a national fund should be setup. All persons that are involved with extreme sports(whitewater rafting and kayak, back country ATV and snowmobile, Helicopter sking, Mountaineering, Spelunking)will pay a $5000.00 fee to assist with their rescue. Why should I have to pay for some a$$h@I3 that wants to foolhardily push the limits of mother nature. You can pay for the boats, helicopters, and special equipment to get your selfish a$$ out of trouble that you yourself has caused. I have seen the cost monetarily, physically, and mentally on local communities and their rescuers.

Complete buffoonery!

While I do believe in this instance and in others where there is advanced and ample warning to stay out of certain areas because of risk of serious injury or death, I think what you propose is lunacy. These guys in Croton were idiots that because they had experience in white water thought that they could best mother nature. Look at what all that "experience" got them, dead and broken. Luckily most people that love the outdoors aren't that dumb, therefore they shouldn't be penalized for the actions of a few.

Edited by Bull McCaffrey

Asside from people rafting in flood waters, where would you draw the line?? Mountain biking in a county park? Buying a fast car or motorcycle? Even people taking leisurely strolls through the woods get themselves into trouble.

Units that operated:

Covering Croton

Hey John, thanks for the run-down. Were all those resources requested, or was there any freelancing going on? If they were all requested, was it because there was some reason to believe there were more victims than ended up materializing?

Hey John, thanks for the run-down. Were all those resources requested, or was there any freelancing going on? If they were all requested, was it because there was some reason to believe there were more victims than ended up materializing?

As far as Fire units, all were requested. I think the same goes for EMS as well. Can't speak on PD only because I don't know what Croton PD may have requested, nor County Police.

To the law enforcement officers here - who has jurisdiction in this case? The PD where the guys started their raft ride or where they dumped it?

I left out a big thanks to my co-workers at 60 Control - thank you for getting us everything we asked for and relaying communications for us. I'd say lunch is on me one day - but there was like 12 of you working and I can't afford that bill! :lol:

Edited by Remember585

$5000 would not even cover the start up of the helicopter. And yes some places will send a bill a rescues performed. Glad to see most of the civilliand and all the first responders went home safe.

As far as Fire units, all were requested. I think the same goes for EMS as well. Can't speak on PD only because I don't know what Croton PD may have requested, nor County Police.

To the law enforcement officers here - who has jurisdiction in this case? The PD where the guys started their raft ride or where they dumped it?

I left out a big thanks to my co-workers at 60 Control - thank you for getting us everything we asked for and relaying communications for us. I'd say lunch is on me one day - but there was like 12 of you working and I can't afford that bill! :lol:

I would think where the incident happened! Because there was a State of Emergency, being out in that kind of weather is considering breaking the law. Problem is, it is way too busy to enforce it! I chalk it up too stupidity!

I would think where the incident happened! Because there was a State of Emergency, being out in that kind of weather is considering breaking the law. Problem is, it is way too busy to enforce it! I chalk it up too stupidity!

Can any of the LEO's explain what, if any, additional powers you are given under state law (or local laws, if applicable)?

On the same note: When the politicians declare a state of emergency and/or mandatory evacuations, what law or law allows you to actually remove someone from their property, or is it just a great sound bite for the politician?

Can any of the LEO's explain what, if any, additional powers you are given under state law (or local laws, if applicable)?

On the same note: When the politicians declare a state of emergency and/or mandatory evacuations, what law or law allows you to actually remove someone from their property, or is it just a great sound bite for the politician?

I would probably say Obstruction of Governmental Administration. All parties involved would have to be charged on a different date due to the on going crisis! Not sure if this is correct or not though!