Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Empress EMS Wins WMC Contract

37 posts in this topic

Empress EMS has won the Westchester Medical Center contract. Despite the financial problems of the Hospital, Empress EMS is happy to superior provide patient care and EMS services to those who seek it at WMC.

Is that the contract for the 87 ambulance? Or something more?

I believe they will be fufilling all of Metrocare's duties relating to WMC.

Well, congrats to Empress.

Edited by Highlands30

Some day,,,,probably when both kids are in school full days, I will get back at least my EMT card and come back to Empress...I HATE per-diems at union shops, but in this case, I will make an exception.

Empress EMS has won the Westchester Medical Center contract. Despite the financial problems of the Hospital, Empress EMS is happy to provide patient care to those who seek it at WMC.

I know I'm no longer in the loop with EMS in Westchester, but was there an issue with the current vendor not being happy providing care to those who sought it. Who is the current vendor, TransCare?

Some day,,,,probably when both kids are in school full days, I will get back at least my EMT card and come back to Empress...I HATE per-diems at union shops, but in this case, I will make an exception.

More then the full timers who volunteer where there are union employees?

INIT915 and Danger like this

I know I'm no longer in the loop with EMS in Westchester, but was there an issue with the current vendor not being happy providing care to those who sought it. Who is the current vendor, TransCare?

Read this...

87A1 Cut Effective 8/24/11

its not the whole story, but it will get you back in the "loop".

Read this...

87A1 Cut Effective 8/24/11

its not the whole story, but it will get you back in the "loop".

Thanks. I was aware of that. I guess I thought I was missing something from the OP suggesting the current vendor is not happy to be there.

firedude likes this

More then the full timers who volunteer where there are union employees?

Not a fan of that either.....but thats a whole nother thread brother!

effd3918 likes this

Some more info:

Empress will be providing Specialty Care Transportation and Grasslands Campus ambulance services for WMC.

I know that the hard work and dedication of ALL Empress EMS employees made this possible.

Although some may choose to disagree, Empress is not driven by profit. They have their ups and downs, but time and time again they always come out on top. They have never really made a true profit, and when they do have money, they always reinvest in something that betters the company, such as the SOD team. Empress held the original WCMC contract in the 90's, before at the time the first generation Transcare took over about 1998'ish. Empress also provided critical care transportation at that time, and staffed the then new Stat-Flight with flight paramedics. (All photos of the original Stat-Flight have an Empress logo on them)

I was employed by Empress from 1997-2000, and still to this day have many friends who have worked or currently work there. Even though I no longer work there, Empress has helped me when I needed it. Empress has had it's tragedies, but those who currently work there and the alumni have always banded together to help one another, even other agencies when they've needed support. It's really a family.

Kudos to Empress EMS on this awesome new contract.

Maybe their employees don't make a profit, but their owners do!

JM15 likes this

Maybe their employees don't make a profit, but their owners do!

As they should! Just because the business is in the emergency services field...it is still a business.

27east likes this

we will work Tac 1 I Am in!!!!!

we will work Tac 1 I Am in!!!!!

That'd be hot kid! Hope all isa well...stay safe out there Bro!

Some more info:

Empress will be providing Specialty Care Transportation and Grasslands Campus ambulance services for WMC.

I know that the hard work and dedication of ALL Empress EMS employees made this possible.

Although some may choose to disagree, Empress is not driven by profit. They have their ups and downs, but time and time again they always come out on top. They have never really made a true profit, and when they do have money, they always reinvest in something that betters the company, such as the SOD team. Empress held the original WCMC contract in the 90's, before at the time the first generation Transcare took over about 1998'ish. Empress also provided critical care transportation at that time, and staffed the then new Stat-Flight with flight paramedics. (All photos of the original Stat-Flight have an Empress logo on them)

I was employed by Empress from 1997-2000, and still to this day have many friends who have worked or currently work there. Even though I no longer work there, Empress has helped me when I needed it. Empress has had it's tragedies, but those who currently work there and the alumni have always banded together to help one another, even other agencies when they've needed support. It's really a family.

Kudos to Empress EMS on this awesome new contract.

Seth,

A-1 Ambulance had the original WMC contract. Believe it or not there was EMS before you young guys were around...LOL. Congratulations to Empress, They will surely do a good job, I only hope it does not affect their current response areas. I don't want to have to wait for an ambulance to come from WMC to Yonkers.

Guy

I have always been confused as to why the grasslands complex has its own ambulance. Why isn't it covered by whoever covers the surrounding area?

A-1 Ambulance had the original WMC contract. Believe it or not there was EMS before you young guys were around...LOL.

Oh, I've heard the stories, lol. Didn't they have Yonkers and Mount Vernon, too?

I have always been confused as to why the grasslands complex has its own ambulance. Why isn't it covered by whoever covers the surrounding area?

Because the population on the campus was so high during the daytime hours, or at least that's what I was told. It also used to deplete Hawthorne and Vahalla VAC's resources routinely around 2002-ish. I don't know when this ambulance started, someone here know?

They also have their own Fire Brigade, and I don't know if WCPD staffs Post 25 anymore?

Seth - "Back In The Day" A-1 (I believe) had Yonkers and Mount Vernon (they also might have had New Rochelle as well, but not too sure on that one). I remember very well when A-1 was in Yonkers, they had 1 Ambulance housed at St. Joseph's for the "West Side" and one ambulance housed at YFD Station 11 for the "East Side"

Oh, I've heard the stories, lol. Didn't they have Yonkers and Mount Vernon, too?

Because the population on the campus was so high during the daytime hours, or at least that's what I was told. It also used to deplete Hawthorne and Vahalla VAC's resources routinely around 2002-ish. I don't know when this ambulance started, someone here know?

They also have their own Fire Brigade, and I don't know if WCPD staffs Post 25 anymore?

Seth - "Back In The Day" A-1 (I believe) had Yonkers and Mount Vernon (they also might have had New Rochelle as well, but not too sure on that one). I remember very well when A-1 was in Yonkers, they had 1 Ambulance housed at St. Joseph's for the "West Side" and one ambulance housed at YFD Station 11 for the "East Side"

Mt Vernon and Yonkers had AA not A1

New Rochelle had the NR Hospital ambulance, then Abbey Richmont, Affiliated, Empress, Abbey and now Transcare.

I was reading the thread which took me to the Empress website and saw this. I am curious what does the SCT stand for? Thanks!

Empress is now hiring SCT Paramedics and experienced EMT’s for a new contract in Westchester County…

I was reading the thread which took me to the Empress website and saw this. I am curious what does the SCT stand for? Thanks!

Empress is now hiring SCT Paramedics and experienced EMT’s for a new contract in Westchester County…

Specialty Care Transport

Stand Corrected - Thanks Barry !!

Mt Vernon and Yonkers had AA not A1

New Rochelle had the NR Hospital ambulance, then Abbey Richmont, Affiliated, Empress, Abbey and now Transcare.

Holy Geeze! As a 23 year Empress guy, I am quite floored at the positive comments! Thanks, all you folks. I know that in general, folks in this line of work are difficult to impress.

Seth- I am 99% sure we did NOT supply any medics to STAT. When they first became the WCMC stat team from their earlier, original incarnation- a NYC hospital whose name and helo program name I have forgotten - maybe aeromed? (recall, I did say 23 years in Yonkers- it wears on the mind), they did NOT have a proper license for this area, so Empress let them operate under ours- that is why the early pics have the Empress name on the side of the helo, as per the rules. They ran/flew with two RN's and a pilot. Then later they went to a medic and an RN, but that was after they got their proper license and took the Empress name off the helo. When they went to the RN and Medic crew, they hired many senior Empress folks for their staff- The Old Goat, Locker etc.

Anyhow, I hear we are hiring about 30 folks, 15 EMT's and 15 medics. We are a proud Union shop, IAEP Local 20, with a pretty good benefit package, esp by private EMS standards. IF ( a BIG IF): you can say "please, thank you, excuse me and you're welcome", speak proper English, show up on time, wear a uniform properly,(no sports team logo apparel) drive without crashing, deal with pt care while NOT texting, smoking, chewing gum, wearing ear-buds and follow some other basic rules, you will probably do well here. OH- and not bang out sick unless you ARE sick. If any of that seems like it is encroaching on your life style, there are other places to work. It may sound harsh, but I am the Chief Shop Steward, and dealing with folks that can't do that stuff takes up much of my time. The reason we got the positive comments in this thread is because we earned them.

Lastly, X129 and X635: come on back, I'll find a room in my bus for ya.

Just a guy and x635 like this

there used to be pictures of all you old timers hanging up in the break room at st agnes aka st agony-lol. i like the fact i just got to call someone an old timer, as i am quite the dinosaur myself-lol. i even have a picture of Kat Mitchell and her old partner ifo an old A-1 bus somewhere in this house, I'll have to try and find it. Plus if I remember, there was A-1, Freedom and a few others back in the day. I was working in CT for awhile before I crossed the border, then came over and worked for CMTI for awhile before coming home to the old Westchester Ambulance. I say came home, not because I used to work there, but because I used to work the CT branches of Danbury and Nelson. Man do I miss all you guys!!!!

Joe

Edited by joetnymedic

The other day I counted 12 companies that have dissapeared in my time, lets see:

Freedom, Admiral, A-1, AA, Park, Approved, Abbey-Richmond, Metropolitan, Metro-North, Empire, Ambassador, Regional(not the one out of Rockland, the one that had a New Rochelle base, became huge over night, then dissapeared), Affiliated, Hudson Valley Ambulance, CMTI(Community Medical Transportation). OK that is 15. Did I miss any?