Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

PMPD Officer Struck

17 posts in this topic

Many times these injuries are serious and potentially career ending. Prayers for the stricken officer, may he be blessed with a not too severe injury, and a speedy recovery.

And for the rest of us: MOVE OVER AND AWAY from a traffic stop!!! "Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel....."

peterose313 likes this

Yesterday driving home on the Taconic I saw two different NYSP troopers on the side of the road with their warning lights activated. One was a traffic stop the other a stranded motorist. Both times i witnessed vehicles fail to move over and blow by the stoped vehicals at great speed. My question to the law enforcement brothers on here is now that there is a move over law on the books here in NYS how do you enforce it? If you are on a traffic stop already how do you enforce the move over law. I mean there is only one of you with one vehicle. How do you enforce the move over law and still preform your traffic stop? You can't do two things at once...can you? If you can't enforce it what can be done so it can be enforced?

My prayers and sadness go out to the young PO, his family and to the PMPD. Stay strong!

The only ways I can see to enforce it is to get on the radio and call out a description and direction of travel and hope someone is in the area, or have a policy that any traffic stop gets a second officer moving to that location so they would be in a position to apprehend any vehicles that don't move over.

Regardless of the Move Over law, this brother needs prayers, not speculation.

Hang in there officer..and thank you for your service to our Country!

My thoughts and prayers are with the officer and his family. I wish him the speediest of recoveries.

Also, to everyone else in the emergency services out there, be careful, watch each others backs on scenes and never assume cars see you and will yield.

the officer from Pelham Manor is my cousin. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers, they are much needed and appreciated. He is still in critical condition and the next few days will be crucial. Keep him in your prayers. thank you.

thoughts and prayers are with the family and that he has a speedy recovery!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with the injured LEO and his family, friends, and co-workers. Stay strong!

Yesterday driving home on the Taconic I saw two different NYSP troopers on the side of the road with their warning lights activated. One was a traffic stop the other a stranded motorist. Both times i witnessed vehicles fail to move over and blow by the stoped vehicals at great speed. My question to the law enforcement brothers on here is now that there is a move over law on the books here in NYS how do you enforce it? If you are on a traffic stop already how do you enforce the move over law. I mean there is only one of you with one vehicle. How do you enforce the move over law and still preform your traffic stop? You can't do two things at once...can you? If you can't enforce it what can be done so it can be enforced?

My prayers and sadness go out to the young PO, his family and to the PMPD. Stay strong!

The only ways I can see to enforce it is to get on the radio and call out a description and direction of travel and hope someone is in the area, or have a policy that any traffic stop gets a second officer moving to that location so they would be in a position to apprehend any vehicles that don't move over.

Having to drive nearly 800 miles round trip way to often for the past four years to get to and from school, has made me spend a lot of time driving on roads that are patrolled by NYSP. I have noticed 4 techniques being used to enforce the move over law. The first two are similar, one is having a second car respond to traffic stops, DV's, etc and having the second due patrol position directly behind the first and remain in the vehicle, waiting for someone to not move over. As a variation of this, I have also seen the above done but the second due patrol is placed a couple hundred feet ahead of or behind the traffic stop, DV, etc to wait for people who fail to move over. With there being so many "turnarounds" on the NYS Thruway, often times the traffic stop is visible from one and a second due patrol will wait in a "turnaround" that allows him to see the scene. The fourth approach that I have seen is for an Officer to be positions at the next "turnaround" ahead of the traffic stop. When someone fails to move over, the patrol performing the traffic stop will radio the information to the patrol who is positioned at the "turnaround." I'm sure there are other approaches out there but these seem to be working for now. I'm sure with some google time, and more free time in general, I could find numbers to check the success.

Edited by PFDRes47cue

Great news! I'll still be keeping him and his family in my thoughts and prayers.