Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycemt728

NJ Flags to Half Staff for Whitney Houston

48 posts in this topic

So I've heard several times today and even seen some articles online that report that Gov. Christie is planning on ordering flags to half for Whitney Houston. There are so many ways to honor someone, but to orders all flags in the state to half?? I'd like to point out that tihs is the same honor that is given to heads of state but more importantly those we have lost in the service to our country...a good voice yes but definitely not worth of the same statewide symbol of honor and respect. Technically, only the President or govenrnor can order flags to half, that should give some indication of that serious, solemn nature the act represents. If these articles are true, shame on Gov. Christie! P.S. for those who may point out that it was perhaps done for other celebs in the past, it was inappropriate then and it's innapropriate now; two wrongs don't make a right.

jack10562, FFFORD, IzzyEng4 and 2 others like this

I agree completely. I don't care how famous you are, I will not fly a flag at half staff for you. Now if you lay your life down for god and country then good sir, I will throw you a parade 10 miles long.

If this is indeed true, shame on Gov. Christie...showing once again his disrespect for military, emergency and public services providers...

Link to Article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/02/14/national/a141405S78.DTL

Edited by SRS131EMTFF

She wasn't a military person, she wasn't a cop, she wasn't a firefighter, and she wasn't even a member of our government. She was an entertainer, a singer!

This is completely innapropriate behavior. Just because she was born in Newark, how does that allow for all the flags in the state to be lowered to half mast. I've never heard of anything like this before.

She wasn't a military person, she wasn't a cop, she wasn't a firefighter, and she wasn't even a member of our government. She was an entertainer, a singer!

And she was a drug abuser for most of the last twenty or so, years.

And she was a drug abuser for most of the last twenty or so, years.

And a child abuser for taking drugs in front of her kid.

Now you know where the cops, firefighters, the military, teachers, etc. stand in the scheme of things. Make sure you vote in the next and every election.

BFD1054 and fireboyny like this

Unbelievable! The lowering of the flag needs to be re addressed. It seems like it is lowered at a whim these days. As per the flag code of the US. government

§175. Position and manner of display

(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -

(1) the term 'half-staff' means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

(2) the term 'executive or military department' means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5; and

(3) the term 'Member of Congress' means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

as you can read no where does it say to lower it for a entertainment personality. Like I said to start...unbelievable!

JetPhoto likes this

This is completely innapropriate behavior. Just because she was born in Newark, how does that allow for all the flags in the state to be lowered to half mast. I've never heard of anything like this before.

I totally agree. Lowering that flag is for those who served the people. I do pray that she rests in peace but lowering the flag is wrong.

Didn't know we were celebrating drug addicts now. Hmm good to know. She was a washed up singer at BEST. Did NJ hold any parades for vets coming home? How about for any servicemen or women who died? Any half staffs for them? oh no. Ok so Gov. Christie cares more about a crack addict then he does his own states Service Personnel. I am sure no one cares and will not remember this when election time comes around but try and remember it. Wasn't her last hit in like the early 90's?

After reading this I just had to say something. Posted this on my facebook wall, feel free to re-post.

So far I've been quiet about the Whitney Houston nonsense, because in our celebrity-obsessed society, we canonize these people all the time just because they were, at one time, "talented" or "famous," despite the fact that they acted like scumbags. After Michael Jackson, I thought I'd become completely numb to this manner of stupidity...

Until this morning, when I learned the State of New Jersey will be mourning the loss of Whitney Houston by ordering all American and state flags at government buildings to be lowered to half staff. Am I the only one who thinks this is inappropriate?

So, to all of my Brothers and Sisters in public safety, military veterans, and every other patriotic American who flies our colors outside their station, home or place of business, particularly those in New Jersey: I ask you to DEFY this order. Fly your flags at full staff. Show everyone that you believe this honor is reserved only for those who have earned it: those who have served others before themselves.

Those of you from New Jersey, call your officials, get them to reverse this order before its too late.

This is not about politics, this is about respecting those who sacrifice for others.

Are you kidding me??!! We have protesters at military service personnel's funeral services disrespectfully protesting the deceased involvement in the wars at the saddest and last time these families get to see their deceased family and this nimrod is going to order flags at half staff for a drug addicted superstar??!!!! Shame on you New Jersey!

Enough already, she might have had a talent and been a great entertainer but people will remember her as a crackhead who married another crackhead. What a shame or a sham, that she gets the same honor as our fallen troops, police officers and firefighters. As far as politicians go they don't deserve the honor either (at least most of them don't). Let's get back to honoring our true heroes!!

bigrig77 likes this

Governor Chris Christie is giving a known drug abuser the honor of the American Flag being flown at half staff. He should continue this honor with an eternal flame in Whitney's honor.

post-1341-0-97217500-1329317628.jpg

Edited by LTNRFD
SOUSGT, JetPhoto, x129K and 5 others like this

Governor Chris Christie is giving a know drug abuser the honor of the American Flag being flown at half staff. He should continue this honor with an eternal flame in Whitney's honor.

That's it, you win. :D

jack10562 and IzzyEng4 like this

My flag will fly as high as i can get it on Saturday. For a true AMERICAN HERO Marine Cpl. Osbrany Montes De Oca from North Arlington KIA Afaganistan, and others who gave the ultimate for us, friday it will ba at Half Mast. FLY YOUR FLAGS HIGH ON SATURDAY. Fat Boy is wrong.

bigrig77 likes this

Unbelievable! The lowering of the flag needs to be re addressed. It seems like it is lowered at a whim these days. As per the flag code of the US. government

§175. Position and manner of display

(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -

(1) the term 'half-staff' means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;

(2) the term 'executive or military department' means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5; and

(3) the term 'Member of Congress' means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

as you can read no where does it say to lower it for a entertainment personality. Like I said to start...unbelievable!

While I completely agree that lowering the flag for a celebrity is out of order, it appears that the above section of the flag code basically excludes flying the flag at half-mast for most of those whom we do this for now: no firefighters, police officers or even soldiers killed in action?

wraftery likes this

I say give them the Jets,they want a New Jersey teem they can call them the "The New Jersey Jets" oh wrong thread ?

Edited by PCFD ENG58

In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff.

Maybe this is a stretch, but wouldn't this cover fire, police and EMS personnel?

There is no way the flag should be lowered for this junkie. While I was working yesterday I passed the Brooks funeral home which is off of Warburton Avenue and there was black and purple bunting hanging over the front door for whitney houston. I sighed, shook my head in disbelief and kept driving. Purple bunting for a crack head, unreal

And already Al Sharpton (The Tri State Area Racist) is commenting about the American's who oppose this...

Governor Christie's Facebook page has blown with tons of comments against him and many people have called his office. I have left my own sentiments on his fb page and plan to call his office tomorrow when I'm not working... If you want to call too his office number is 609-292-6000... Let him know this will not be tolerated

Edited by PC_420
nycemt728 likes this

Governor Christie's Facebook page has blown with tons of comments against him and many people have called his office. I have left my own sentiments on his fb page and plan to call his office tomorrow when I'm not working... If you want to call too his office number is 609-292-6000... Let him know this will not be tolerated

Thanks for that number! Called the office and spoke to one of his aides...........She say's "Is that all you want to tell the governor, I said NO, tell him he's a Fat F@#$ also". Needless to say, she hung up! That was also done in honor of my fellow Fireman and Cops who are taking a royal SCREWING from this Pompous BlowHard!

x129K likes this

BULL_____!!!!!!!!!!

<Please fill in the blank at your own convenience>

Edited by IzzyEng4

Well I guess it should be easy identify to the crack houses. Christie will probably have the state putting purple bunting over their doors for them.

#%&@# Politicians...

Christie is exploiting the emotional wave resulting from the death of a very well known figure who just happens to have local roots , and his action is nothing more than a self-serving opportunity for exposure and to get the minority vote in an election year.

*&^%Dirtbag.

BTW, his facebook pages have been cleared of remarks and no longer accepting public comments. Hmmm... Wonder why?

I just checked.. you can still write.. and nothing has been deleted.. God help him if his office decided to censor the public