Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Can The Feds "Repossess" SAFER Grant Apparatus?

16 posts in this topic

Recently, I heard a rumor the Federal Government can "repossess" SAFER grant apparatus? And that they can attempt to "sell" it back to the department?

Anyone can explain if this is true or false?

I thought that was an April Fools day joke started on the interwebs?

JM15 likes this

I actually heard this a week before April 1st.

Recently, I heard a rumor the Federal Government can "repossess" SAFER grant apparatus? And that they can attempt to "sell" it back to the department?

Anyone can explain if this is true or false?

SAFER grants are for hiring personnel and R&R programs. It is illegal to purchase apparatus with it.

antiquefirelt and SageVigiles like this

I didn't even think about SAFER, the Capt. is probably right, the "article" referenced the AFG program.

Editor's note: For those who haven't caught on, note the date of publication. Happy April Fools' Day! Fret not; fire grant funding is alive and well. We hope you enjoyed our series of articles to mark April 1. Check out the full round-up here.

right on the top of the article

x129K likes this

"We understand the hardship this places on fire departments, and so have introduced a buy-back grant program where departments can apply for money to buy equipment at auction,"

What??? We will take back trucks purchased with grant money but create a grant program so you have money to buy it back.....If that was a true quote, then that is pretty much a circle, lol.

Edited by lafd55

Yes. The federal government can repossess apparatus from a department and then sell it back to them at a premium, just like they can mandate that each of the department's members carry their own health insurance. :rolleyes:

SageVigiles likes this

This is more to the terms of, if a community accepts federal grant money from the Homeland Security Act, and staffed with SAFER grant funds, and does not use it appropriately or under the terms of the grant, can the equipment be repossesed?

I know this is similar to the article, and speaking with someone who was involved with it, this situation (which I agreed not to disclose) is what inspired the article.

Seth, as I understand it you can't buy apparatus with SAFER Grant money, so its a moot point.

I believe the only "equipment" you can buy with SAFER is PPE for new firefighters or other things of that nature.

Read my post above yours.

This regards apparatus bought with a Homeland Security Act grant, and staffed via the SAFER grant.

http://www.fema.gov/firegrants/

I should have been clearer in my original post.

I'm sure that if you don't follow the rules of the grant then you will be liable for any monies paid and used inappropriately. Whether that goes to the extreme of re-possessing apparatus I'm sure you'd need a lot of lawyers.

Inicdentally, I'm pretty sure with SAFER they don't pay you up front. You have to submit claims (quarterly?) and then the feds reimburse you after that. If you were submitting fraudulent claims, then that is another nasty kettle of fish.

I'm sure that if you don't follow the rules of the grant then you will be liable for any monies paid and used inappropriately........... Inicdentally, I'm pretty sure with SAFER they don't pay you up front. You have to submit claims (quarterly?) and then the feds reimburse you after that.

Correct on both counts.

If you were submitting fraudulent claims, then that is another nasty kettle of fish.

There have been 2 cases that I am aware of (one was safer, the other was an equipment grant). In one case, I know that a manufacturer went bankrupt and closed shop (taking AFG money with it), they were very surprised when days later the FBI raided the shop and the company owners homes and seized truckloads of documents. The other case the dept had to give back SAFER money and the consultant that wrote the grant and was advising them was questioned by the feds, I do not know what came of this.