Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Fire Departments Filling Swimming Pools?

21 posts in this topic

Do Fire Departments still fill swimming pools or is this a thing of the past? How much do FD's charge?

Do Fire Departments still fill swimming pools or is this a thing of the past? How much do FD's charge?

I'm not sure if they still do, but I believe that the Botsford Fire Department in Newtown, CT did for a while.

I'm not sure if they still do, but I believe that the Botsford Fire Department in Newtown, CT did for a while.

Correction, they still do.

You can always ask them... If they do, make sure they run the water a little bit before they start filling, pretty sure the water will be pretty dirty.

Yeah, right. I wish I could find the picture, but there was one of a Camden, NJ Engine tied into a hydrant, with dark, murky water leaking from the hydrant, and a pool of dark, murky water underneath the engine from the hydrant.

Which is why you should never drink from hydrant discharge or engine discharge.

Heck, as long as you're not in a drought, why not? Make the person sign a reciprocity agreement though stating you can take the water back if needed, lol.

And charge if you can or encourage donations to a charity.

YEP...WE'LL FILL YOUR POOL...IF THAT'S WHAT YOU REALLY WANT

Looks like your district got their monies worth of the hydrant rental fees......

Which is why you should never drink from hydrant discharge or engine discharge.

If its that murky, it means they are not flushing the hydrant properly and the water is coming from the same main that feeds your house.

ny10570 and 48 like this

If its that murky, it means they are not flushing the hydrant properly and the water is coming from the same main that feeds your house.

Could be.

I wonder where Poland Springs, Maine gets their hydrant water.

Greenburgh flushes on a regular basis and still, some mains that don't get much domestic flow-thru still look like this . The nexr day is when the "brown underware" calls come in, even though flushing is well advertised.

But go ahead and drink the hydrant or hoseline water. Like Barry said it is the same water as your tap. Plus it is chock full of iron and other minerals.

Don' mock the picture. NY tap water is still the best, probably in the world.

EdAngiolillo and x635 like this

You guys worrie to much about the color of the water you should see some of the water we get from using that funny black hose to suck up some of the finest quality bottling water out any water hole you find.

fireboyny likes this

But on a serious note why not fill pools great PR and can double as training for tanker shuttles or whatever. It's no different then pumping out some basement not the most glamorous job but the people you do it for love it.

My old department used to fill pools for donations. We used our 4000 gallon tanker and drafted from nearby ponds/streams, never filled off the village hydrants.

We used it for drills with tanker shuttles, and broke in new tanker drivers that way, and while they were doing the shuttle those of us that stayed in the persons yard usually got offered coffee, drinks, cookies, one guy even fired up his BBQ and cooked us chicken and burgers. We used it for PR, showed off our crappy equipment and complained a lot so that way come next election they would vote for our budget, or vote for that new truck we might bring to the next village meeting.

My current department doesnt do it now, there is too many "litigious" people out there that sue for every reason imaginable, and if their pool collapsed while we were filling it...suddenly the department owns a broken pool and the person bad mouths us all over the community. Not worth the hassle...

x4093k likes this

I believe you have to go to the water company and get a meter. You have to pay the water company or you can be charged with theft of services. We had this happen once to a resident who would borrow some hose and fill his pool from a hydrant. He almost got arrested. He was a volunteer in our department.

But on a serious note why not fill pools great PR and can double as training for tanker shuttles or whatever. It's no different then pumping out some basement not the most glamorous job but the people you do it for love it.

Glad to see this Cap'.......looks as if I will have a pool for you fill soon if Mrs. 129k gets her way.......and let's face it - she usually does.

Edited by x129K
Atv300 and x4093k like this

Agreed. New Fairfield always did it, provided we weren't in drought conditions. We always warned them the water will come out brown, but if you're willing to treat it yourself its probably worth it. Usually asked for a donation, but it was never mandatory.

sfrd18 likes this

NY tap water is still the best, probably in the world.

I absolutely agree!