Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Off Duty Save - Mamaroneck 6/2/12

23 posts in this topic

Another good save. At least in the days of emergency services getting black eyes, good news also shows up

Choking man saved by off-duty paramedic at Nautilus Diner

MAMARONECK — A Long Island man was saved from likely death after an off-duty paramedic kept him from choking to death and resuscitated him after he suffered a heart attack.

The man, said to be elderly, was eating at the Nautilus Diner, 1240 W. Boston Post Road, on June 2 when he began to choke, said Hanan Cohen, a spokesman for Empress EMS in Yonkers.

When he noticed the incident taking place, off-duty Empress paramedic William Rothschild, who happened to be eating at a nearby table with his mother and children, leaped into action.

http://www.lohud.com...ell|text|News|s

x129K, BFD1054 and 87D124 like this

And I knew Bill when he was a mere first responder.

x129K and 87D124 like this

By an occasional EMTBravo poster, too!! Do ya get a rep point for a save?

Actually I should take points away from you. It took me a week to get the blood out of my clothes after you threw the GSW pt's bloodied clothes at me. Look before you throw !!! It's not nice to bloody the Medic that was backing you up !!!! :blink:

Ya shoulda ducked, Marc! Long term, he ended up paying the price on that one.

Nice work Bill, congrats.

Hope a speedy recovery for the victim.

By an occasional EMTBravo poster, too!! Do ya get a rep point for a save?

No, but I gave you a rep point for having to know LTNRFD since you were a mere first responder

BFD1054 likes this

May be a stupid question, but who made the save? Bnechis? If so, great work!(Whoever it is, great work! :P )

May be a stupid question, but who made the save? Bnechis? If so, great work!(Whoever it is, great work! :P )

sympathomedic

ems-buff likes this

Why no mention of the medic who was working and who actually cleared the airway? Seems like that was the key here...

x129K and Sailr322 like this

No, but I gave you a rep point for having to know LTNRFD since you were a mere first responder

Barry you should give me ALL your rep points for knowing you before you were a mere first responder and a probie. Also for the trouble you would get me into on New Rochelle Amb. 1.

x4093k likes this

Good job Bill. Did you get free food out of it at least?

John, only you would be concerned about food lol.

I never got my meal paid for after picking up your food while working KEC-625 ;-).

Again, nice work Bill, way to step up.

Oh, don't want to leave anyone out, so nice job to Anyone else involved in this incident.

Sailr322 and x4093k like this

Billy....great job - I am very glad you were able to learn something from me after all those years we worked together. Best times I ever had - miss ya!

x4093k likes this

Not only did the restaurant NOT pick up my bill, they gave me the VICTIMS bill!!

OK kidding, but no they did not get the tab. Based on my consumption Hx, it could have been a bank breaker for them.

I have forgotten how to quote previous posts, but that guy a few posts back is right- the on -duty LVAC medic got the obstruction out with the magills after he looked, I looked and he looked again. That occured after we got pulses back with CPR and back blows.

My guess is that dieing kind of relaxed his airway which allowed our CPR and attempts at BVM'ing to get in enough air to quicken and strengthen his heart rate and contraction.

Being a medic, I am always skeptical of pre-arrival "saves", so I am even skeptical of mine. I know I felt for a pulse and found none, and there was ZERO respiratory effort. With CPR we got a pulse quite fast, and during the "analyze" of the AED no shock was indicated, so in retrospect, I bet he had cardiac activity, but due to hypoxia it was slow and weak and we just did not/could not detect it. If you are in doubt of a pulse, then you gotta get to work, and that is what we did. I have seen CPR stopped in many cases of "hey I gotta pulse!" only to find out it was, well, wishful thinking. Was this a true arrest save? not sure. Was it a life save, yea, I think it was because if no action was taken during the response, the pt would have progressed further down the road to death, in all likelyhood past the point of no return. Since he had stopped breathing before I even got to him, the Grim Reaper must have gotten a decent head start on EMS. But in the end, we prevailed. I'd name the on duty guy, but I don't know how he'd feel about it. He gets a lot of credit too.

Bnechis, 87D124, JetPhoto and 10 others like this

Great Job Bill!!!! Everyone at Empress is proud of the great job you did. It is our pleasure to work with someone who's actions (even while off duty) prevented the death of another human being. You were in the right place at the right time.

And I knew Bill when he was a mere first responder.

And riding his bike to fires with his scanner!!! Nice job Bill!!!

x129K likes this