Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

Winter 2012-13 Predictions

32 posts in this topic

Get those shovels ready!!! :D:ph34r:

NYC, Philly, DC: Winter 2012-2013 will be "Snow" Joke

Following a snow drought during winter 2011-2012, the mid-Atlantic and southern New England will get a snow dump this winter.

Above-normal snowfall is forecast for the major I-95 cities, including New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C., during winter 2012-2013.

Full Accuweather Article: http://www.accuweath...st-winter/69820

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Full Articles and Photos: http://www.accuweath...-upcoming/66450, http://www.accuweath...st-winter/69820, http://www.accuweath...-forecast/68844

Edited by jack10562
Disaster_Guy likes this

I dont know exactly how they predict the weather that far in advance... but I will predict that I will won the mega millions tonight!!

87D124, RJB896, FF398 and 4 others like this

I hope they're right. Thats my favorite season out of all.

Edited by x4093k
nhfd241, firedude and Westfield12 like this

They can't even get tomorrow's weather right and we are hanging our hat on their prediction for weather that is months away. You got to admit it is great to have a job that no matter how many times you are wrong you still have a job. It is always partly something. :D

For what I'm seeing in my forcast, we will have average temps & 2 - 3 decent storms but nothing like they are forcasting

EMS92 likes this

I dont know exactly how they predict the weather that far in advance... but I will predict that I will won the mega millions tonight!!

Then you can buy that new snowplow you wanted and watch the guy driving it while you play on Bravo
BFD1054, nhfd241 and bigrig77 like this

I always heard that the Farmer's Almanac is like 85 to 95% right every year. Don't know what they are saying for the winter but if someone does pass it along and see if it is true. Stay Warm and Safe.

Thomas

I always heard that the Farmer's Almanac is like 85 to 95% right every year.

That book is maybe 50% right

In case you haven't been paying attention to the drought that happens to be devastating much of the country right now, or the wildfires that have consumed a million acres of land lately, or the LODD of a 20 year old forestry firefighter the other day, you might want to read the article link below.

Climate change and global warming; I don't know. Maybe because of the politics of it all, and the MSM not really getting the point across, I never gave it much thought.

But this article is an EYE-OPENER imho.

The coming winter? Good question.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-20120719

PEMO3 and JM15 like this

Good! I hope it snows more compared to last winter. Got to get some snowmobile riding in this coming winter. :D

x4093k and firedude like this

Here's to dreaming.

With heating oil prices high already, I am glad I stocked up on firewood and got the chimneys cleaned/inspected!

For those who forgot Accuweathers forcast for 2011-2012 here is a picture from Oct 13, 2011;

post-3712-0-85100100-1345215185.jpg

Accuweather.com

And we all know how that worked out. So if you want to believe the 2012-2013 forcast, more power to you :unsure:

peterose313, highwaybuff and EMS92 like this

I know nothing about the weather, but I do forecast another GIANTS Super Bowl victory!

Now THAT is a good winter prediction!

Farmers Almanac is usually more accurate for long term predictions... then again, looking outside always helps too!

If the snow ends up being as bad as Accuweather is predicting, maybe some of the local departments can retro-fit some of their exisitng FD Fleets to help plow some of the snow : ) LOL :D

post-80-0-67731200-1345220490.jpg

post-80-0-96516800-1345220531.jpg

post-80-0-65661900-1345220541.jpg

bigrig77, TAPSJ and JetPhoto like this

I predict about 4 cold months followed by some warmer months.

The five month forcast is pointless. All we need is to know what is in the next two weeks. Look at the map and you know if rain is coming or if its gonna be clear skies.

If the snow ends up being as bad as Accuweather is predicting, maybe some of the local departments can retro-fit some of their exisitng FD Fleets to help plow some of the snow : ) LOL :D

SHHHHHH Don't give any mayors or village managers any ideas! :D

Last year i bought a plow sander and turned in my Artic cat sleds for new Yamaha's.

So im the guy to thank for no snow last year!!!

An Army weather instructor I had when I was in training told us, "No REAL meteorologist would take one of those forecasting jobs. Weather systems are too dynamic. You can't forecast it very well over twenty-four hours. It's not predictable, anyway. It's not like the future weather is set a certain way and you just need to figure it out. Way too many variables."

I've never forgotten that sergeant. And I've a bit of weather buff ever since.

AFD227 likes this

Last year i bought a plow sander and turned in my Artic cat sleds for new Yamaha's.

So im the guy to thank for no snow last year!!!

You guys can blame me, Home for a weekend from college in October... we get hit, gone all winter... nothing, and worst part was I had to use a Western! :rolleyes:

I can't believe I am sounding like one of the old guys I usually make fun of, but two winters ago, a real bad one, there were A LOT of acorns the preceding autumn. Last fall, a mild winter, there were very few. I think it was 1994 the last real bad winter we had, and that fall, too, a TON of acorns. I just came back from western Maine, and there were quite a bunch of acorns falling.

I can't believe I am sounding like one of the old guys I usually make fun of...

It's ok Bill, it happens to all of us :lol:

I can't believe I am sounding like one of the old guys I usually make fun of, but two winters ago, a real bad one, there were A LOT of acorns the preceding autumn. Last fall, a mild winter, there were very few. I think it was 1994 the last real bad winter we had, and that fall, too, a TON of acorns. I just came back from western Maine, and there were quite a bunch of acorns falling.

Nuts.

I hope winter is not that bad again