Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycemt728

Movement to Postpone NYC Marathon 2012 - POLL ADDED

NYC Marathon 2012   54 members have voted

1. 1. Should the marathon be...

• Allowed to proceed as scheduled?
    • Postponed until the recovery is further along?
    • Canceled entirely for 2012?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

So there is a small, but perhaps growing movement to postpone the marathon until Sandy recovery can get further along. There are suggestions that city resources allocated to the event should instead be dedicated to recovery. Mayor Bloomberg said that lots of small buisnesses depend on the some 47000 participants. Opponents claim its cold to think about sports when people have no homes. Thoughts?

Edited by helicopper
x635 and JetPhoto like this

Yea I'm sure it would provide a bump to the economy IF businesses had supply's to offer them (Hotel's, Food, GAS...)

x635 likes this

It should be postponed or cancelled.The marathon requires huge amounts of police officers to properly cover it. I worked it last year, and in Manhattan it required 8 to 10 police officers per block . One number for total police officers required was 2000. The only way they can normally staff this event, and still provide proper coverage to the rest of the city is thru the use of Overtime, by ordering police officers to work their day off, a minimum of 12 hours. Right now as I am writing this, every gas station in the Bronx has at least 2 police officers assigned to it to prevent violence and maintain traffic flow. Most stations are out of gas. One station I spoke with said they may get delivery on saturday. Parts of the Bronx are still without power. In addition all police officers have been working 12 hour days since the day of the storm. Between work and volunteering at the firehouse I have seen my family maybe a total of 3 hours this week. I am one of the lucky ones, my biggest loss was a refridgerator full of food. One of my coworkers has lost everything except for the clothes on his back. His house will have to be torn down. Fortunately the.job gave him time off to deal with this, but most of us have yet to really deal with what ever problems they may have at home. I normally commute via mass transit, but with storm interruptions, and now tour changes that is no longer an option. More than likely I will be ordered in to work one of two days off I get this week. That means more gas I am going to have to use if I can find it. Morale was already low, and now with the storm, extra hours, stress if commute, patience is starting to wear thin. I am so glad that Bloomberg cares more for a bunch of foreign athletes than his own employees.

x635, x4093k, x129K and 7 others like this

I'm mixed. On one hand its obviously going to be a draw on the city's resources. On the other, you can't overlook the economic bounceback as well as the "we're still here" factor.

Either way, it should be up to New Yorkers to decide.

x635 and peterose313 like this

I think it's absolutely INSANE that they are still planning to hold this resource-hogging event, in the middle of the largest natural disaster to hit the NYC area, ever.

Tens of thousands of people are without power, food and water, AND EVEN HOMES, and public resources that could very well assist with those issues will be diverted, for a race...?

Under normal circumstances there are many good reasons to sponsor this race.

Postpone it. Cancel it. Now.

helicopper, x635 and JetPhoto like this

I believe it should be postponed or cancelled as well. I am not a resident of NYC, but I would be livid to see resources going to a sporting event while my neighbors are without essentials like water, food, shelter and security.

I understand the need to "get back to normal" and the economic boost, but when hotels are housing victims, and PD/FD/EMS have their hands full, majority of gas stations closed, neighborhoods haven't seen City officials, relief agencies or the National Guard, having such an event is ridiculous.

If the volunteers want to make a difference, there are plenty of shelters that need help and thousands of elderly residents that are stuck in high-rises without a way to get groceries and staples without working elevators.

Edited by JackEMT
x635 and jack10562 like this

It's absolutely insane and ridiculous to have it. Like the police officers, sanitation, etc. don't have enough to worry about already. And if citizens come forward to volunteer to help with the race - why don't they volunteer their time to helping out people that need help from the storm? Everyone knows New Yorkers are strong - they don't need to host a race less than a week after a major storm to prove it!

jack10562, JetPhoto and x635 like this

Mayor Bloomberg: As Rome (or, should I say, I dunno, Breezy Point) burns, you should not fiddle and run a race.

Now that I have power in my house I an in the process of writing an e-mail to Governor Cuomo to voice my opinion that having the marathon will absolutely affect rescue and recovery efforts in the area

Edited by grumpyff
jack10562 likes this

People lost lives, homes, no power, gas, water, some areas can't flush toilets, flooding, resources needed from out of state, disaster declaration, looting...yeah...bad idea!

jack10562 likes this

While the loss to business may be significant as the Mayor states. There is no reason not to postpone it for a few weeks. Let the race be rescheduled for when the businesses can actually sell something. Now is not the time to take attention away from the devastating damage that was caused by the storm. Every ounce of pressure and attention must be given to restore the services that impact to the lives and wellbeing of the residents of the Tri-State area.

jack10562 likes this

Here is a copy of a letter I just sent to Governor Cuomo:

Dear Governor Cuomo,

I am appalled by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s decision to go forward with ING New York City Marathon just 6 days after the worst hurricane in over 100 years, which has decimated parts of New York State, New York City, and parts of the east coast of the United States. Bloomberg's claim that it will not impact rescue and recovery efforts one bit, is laughable at best. I am a New York City Police officer, and since the day that Hurricane Sandy hit New York I have worked twelve hours day. I have put aside my life and my families problems in order to maintain law and order in the City of New York, and was fully aware that situations like this would occur when I signed up to take the exam to become a police officer. I am one of the more fortunate ones, I only lost food in the refrigerator, some of my coworkers were not as fortunate. Several have lost their entire possessions, one, Artur Kasprzak, gave his life while off duty to save 7 lives. In addition, I have worked the Marathon in years past, and can tell you from firsthand experience it takes a lot of police officers to staff this event. In Manhattan, there are often anywhere from 8 to 12 police officers per block to keep the crowds back, and prevent them from crossing into the path of marathon runners. Just where does the city get all the officers to staff this event, and continue to provide enough officers to patrol the rest of the city? It orders a large number of officers, and supervisors to come in and work their day off. Most years this is not a problem, but due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy, and resulting problems, police officers are now handling additional duties such as traffic in intersections with no traffic lights, additional patrols in areas with no power, and providing security to gas stations to prevent the outbreak of violence as stations run out of gas with the earliest possible deliveries to be on Saturday. Tensions are running high in some parts of the city, as some people no longer have electricity, food, gas, and even running water in some cases. Bodies are still being recovered as I write this. Mass Transit has not been fully restored, mandatory carpooling to enter Manhattan has been instituted to lessen the effects of bridges and tunnels that remain closed. Now we are going to close more roads, and take more police officers off the street to protect a marathon? People are fighting over gasoline in parts of the city, does the Mayor think that some of these same people who are stressed over getting the basic necessities are going to stop their fighting and applaud the marathon as it closes more streets, stores, and places a greater burden on them so that the city can make some money from the Marathon. Some people will point out that just ten days after 9/11 Major League Baseball was playing games at Shea and Yankee Stadiums which became a source of hope. While the effects of 9/11 were widespread, and in some cases still felt today, the physical damage was confined to the World Trade Center. People could go to a place where they felt safe, their homes, have something to eat, go to the store and buy items they needed and travel pretty much as they pleased. Today in some areas of the State, and New York City, these same people no longer have homes, are wondering where there next meal will come from, and be able to take a hot shower in a place they feel secure in. I am not saying to cancel the Marathon, but perhaps this is not the right time to hold this event, and it should be rescheduled into the future. How can you justify the large number of road closures, police officers reassigned, and basic items such as bottled water, high calorie snacks, and other supplies such as blankets when some many of our fellow New Yorkers are lacking these basic items? Members of the New York National Guard, and other states National Guards are working to bring vital supplies to New York, to help stabilize and eventually recover from what the worst natural disasters to ever impact the State of New York. Many New Yorkers are working with their insurance companies and FEMA to begin the recovery process, and now Mayor Bloomberg’s actions are telling the people of New York, that money from tourists running in a marathon is more important to the city (and State) than they are. Please, use your power as governor to implore Mayor Bloomberg to reschedule the marathon. The impact from the marathon is just too much at this fragile time.

Sincerely,

Kurt Von Dietsch

From the Huff Post...

Screw the NYC Marathon

Four hundred and one miles. That's how much running I've completed since June 16, 2012. Since June 16th I've spent 75 hours in running gear. That's a little over three days of nothing but jogging. The goal of all this work was to run in the New York City Marathon on November 4th. Orange wave #4. Corral 65. Bib number 65195. And now I say to hell with it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kris-lopresto/nyc-marathon-sandy_b_2061007.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false

Here is a copy of a letter I just sent to Governor Cuomo:

Dear Governor Cuomo,

I am appalled by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s decision to go forward with ING New York City Marathon just 6 days after the worst hurricane in over 100 years, which has decimated parts of New York State, New York City, and parts of the east coast of the United States. Bloomberg's claim that it will not impact rescue and recovery efforts one bit, is laughable at best. I am a New York City Police officer, and since the day that Hurricane Sandy hit New York I have worked twelve hours day. I have put aside my life and my families problems in order to maintain law and order in the City of New York, and was fully aware that situations like this would occur when I signed up to take the exam to become a police officer. I am one of the more fortunate ones, I only lost food in the refrigerator, some of my coworkers were not as fortunate. Several have lost their entire possessions, one, Artur Kasprzak, gave his life while off duty to save 7 lives. In addition, I have worked the Marathon in years past, and can tell you from firsthand experience it takes a lot of police officers to staff this event. In Manhattan, there are often anywhere from 8 to 12 police officers per block to keep the crowds back, and prevent them from crossing into the path of marathon runners. Just where does the city get all the officers to staff this event, and continue to provide enough officers to patrol the rest of the city? It orders a large number of officers, and supervisors to come in and work their day off. Most years this is not a problem, but due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy, and resulting problems, police officers are now handling additional duties such as traffic in intersections with no traffic lights, additional patrols in areas with no power, and providing security to gas stations to prevent the outbreak of violence as stations run out of gas with the earliest possible deliveries to be on Saturday. Tensions are running high in some parts of the city, as some people no longer have electricity, food, gas, and even running water in some cases. Bodies are still being recovered as I write this. Mass Transit has not been fully restored, mandatory carpooling to enter Manhattan has been instituted to lessen the effects of bridges and tunnels that remain closed. Now we are going to close more roads, and take more police officers off the street to protect a marathon? People are fighting over gasoline in parts of the city, does the Mayor think that some of these same people who are stressed over getting the basic necessities are going to stop their fighting and applaud the marathon as it closes more streets, stores, and places a greater burden on them so that the city can make some money from the Marathon. Some people will point out that just ten days after 9/11 Major League Baseball was playing games at Shea and Yankee Stadiums which became a source of hope. While the effects of 9/11 were widespread, and in some cases still felt today, the physical damage was confined to the World Trade Center. People could go to a place where they felt safe, their homes, have something to eat, go to the store and buy items they needed and travel pretty much as they pleased. Today in some areas of the State, and New York City, these same people no longer have homes, are wondering where there next meal will come from, and be able to take a hot shower in a place they feel secure in. I am not saying to cancel the Marathon, but perhaps this is not the right time to hold this event, and it should be rescheduled into the future. How can you justify the large number of road closures, police officers reassigned, and basic items such as bottled water, high calorie snacks, and other supplies such as blankets when some many of our fellow New Yorkers are lacking these basic items? Members of the New York National Guard, and other states National Guards are working to bring vital supplies to New York, to help stabilize and eventually recover from what the worst natural disasters to ever impact the State of New York. Many New Yorkers are working with their insurance companies and FEMA to begin the recovery process, and now Mayor Bloomberg’s actions are telling the people of New York, that money from tourists running in a marathon is more important to the city (and State) than they are. Please, use your power as governor to implore Mayor Bloomberg to reschedule the marathon. The impact from the marathon is just too much at this fragile time.

Sincerely,

Kurt Von Dietsch

Well said, I would like to see his reply (if you ever get one).

I wonder what would happen should a very large new movement called “Occupy Marathon” would form a tent city (as they have no place to live) at the starting line, part of the route or finish line. You know the, 1 percenters of tri state residents who feel neglected from the cleanup/ restore effort. Would the Mayor be as accommodating?

JFLYNN and JetPhoto like this

Kurt - is there anything that your co-worker needs specifically?...I am sure, like me, alot of guys here have excess "stuff"...

helicopper likes this

I am not sure what his needs are at this moment. He moved back in with his mother for the time being. I am trying to get out to Long Island to help him out. With the gas shortage, it might end up being next week. His cell phone service is spotty.

According to multiple news sources, the Marathon has been canceled.

Alot of visveral, and justified opinions here. Some questions/thoughts to ponder, and I by no means have made up my mind.

- Does the marathon pay for the OT? If so, then it would be incumbant on the Commissioner to tell the mayor he can not handle the request? If he didn't, why?

- Could the closures/traffic control be manned with fewer offlicers and or on duty local precinct officers and supplimented with other agencies such as CERT, Boy Scouts etc?

- Could EMS involvement be scaled back due to the large number of volunteers and the use of private ambulances?

- Does anyone have any evidence that resources are actually being diverted from legitimate recovery work as opposed to just being streched thin?

- The city can't actually cancel the marathon per-se as it does not run it, it can only withdraw the permit and or staffing.

- Does a million dollar donation from NYRR make up for not cancelling or postponing? That money could be put to good use, or is it blood money so to speak?

It's a interesting question, with both sides having very impassioned arguements.

Just heard on 1010 WINS the marathon has been cancelled. Common sense finally prevailed.

Turns out the money has spoken.

I'm going to bet large commercial $ponsors have withdrawn financial support from the race because they don't want to be associated with the negative public backlash of promoting the event in the middle of such a widespread disaster.

JFLYNN and x129K like this

Just spoke with my coworker. He lives in Lindenhurst. Right now his needs are clothing...anything size large. Boots size 10. He is still wearing the clothes he had on his back the night if the storm. Electricity is non existant, and cell phone service is spotty at best. I am looking to drive out there sunday. He also said there is no gas at all, and has been seeing roving groups casing abandoned houses in his neighborhood.

x4093k, helicopper and x129K like this

Multiple unconfirmed reports it's cancelled. NYT, NBC with Fox and CBS attributing quotes to the mayor. Still nothing on NYC or NYRR website yet.

Alot of visveral, and justified opinions here. Some questions/thoughts to ponder, and I by no means have made up my mind.

- Does the marathon pay for the OT? If so, then it would be incumbant on the Commissioner to tell the mayor he can not handle the request? If he didn't, why?

- Could the closures/traffic control be manned with fewer offlicers and or on duty local precinct officers and supplimented with other agencies such as CERT, Boy Scouts etc?

- Could EMS involvement be scaled back due to the large number of volunteers and the use of private ambulances?

- Does anyone have any evidence that resources are actually being diverted from legitimate recovery work as opposed to just being streched thin?

- The city can't actually cancel the marathon per-se as it does not run it, it can only withdraw the permit and or staffing.

- Does a million dollar donation from NYRR make up for not cancelling or postponing? That money could be put to good use, or is it blood money so to speak?

It's a interesting question, with both sides having very impassioned arguements.

Just some random thoughts from the peanut gallery:

- Even if the marathon pays the overtime, the issue is the number of available police officers and where they are coming from. The Police Commissioner serves at the pleasure of the mayor. You can't tell him he's wrong too often and keep your job.

- For years they have developed the minimum number of police officers that can make the marathon safe and protect citizens and runners alike. These officers are supplemented by RoadRunner volunteers. To suggest that these officers can be replaced (two days before the event) with boy scouts is absurd and I hope that CERT members are already helping their neighbors.

- The private ambulances and volunteers are already committed to EMS operations in the City, for FEMA contracts, and other responsibilities. This is one of the problems. We count on the same resources in different plans and different roles and then when confronted by a disaster, we need them in two (or more) places at the same time.

- "Stretched thin"? Are you kidding? Resources are stretched thin on a good day. They've altered the work schedules of the entire NYPD to support the Sandy response. There's day to day 911 calls, the Hurricane Sandy response, counter-terrorism (remember the plot they just thwarted to blow-up buildings in NYC?), and providing gas station security (a new responsibility thanks to the current crisis). They cancel days off to staff the marathon in a regular year and this is anything but that.

- The city and state can cancel the race. They tell them they can't use the bridges, the roadways, and Central Park. Voila, problem solved.

- The money isn't the only issue. There is also the perception that people are running a road race just a few blocks away from people who are suffering through the worst natural disaster to hit our area in a century. That's the issue.

One last point. They keep saying that they ran the race in 2001. There's a big difference between 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy. The terrorist attacks were extremely focused and fatal. Sandy was more widespread and caused more suffering than fatalities (I hope and pray). There are tens of thousands of people in the dark, with no water, heat, or sewers. No food, no clothes, no shelter. It was also about 8 weeks later. Not six DAYS later.

Postpone it. What's the harm in that?