x635

Fuel Crisis And Emergency Services

26 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know what steps agencies are taking to make sure they have fuel for their apparatus and their members?

I've heard of several agencies that haven't been able to get fuel for their vehicles, and several members who couldn't get to work or mass transit due to not having any fuel, and had to call in.

Should emergency service and other essential personel get priority at the pumps?

There are fueling stations just for emergency responders and utilities - this has been sent to the agencies operating down in/around the City. Biggest problem is getting tankers in fast enough to refuel the fueling stations!

I'm curious to know what steps agencies are taking to make sure they have fuel for their apparatus and their members?

I've heard of several agencies that haven't been able to get fuel for their vehicles, and several members who couldn't get to work or mass transit due to not having any fuel, and had to call in.

Should emergency service and other essential personel get priority at the pumps?

CT State EOC has a Fuel Task Force set up to address issues with fuel supply. If you're having issues contact your Regional Coordinator.

From what has been announced on the radio is that the terminals started to recive their deliverys & by Monday there should be more then enough Fuel to go around.

and what about volunteers in emergency services who are in their POVs? :/

Big One..

Cant see an over abundance of guys burning their own fuel for a "routine" alarm.

Since the operating.gas stations in NYC had to have police presence, most of the officers working them set up a second line for MOS, in order to get us in an out quicker in personnal vehicles since we are working 12 tours. Dept pumps are still operating for the most part. Not sure how our supply lines are.

effd3918 and 16fire5 like this

We have a 3000 gallon fuel tanker for our diesel at work. We had 60 units operating at the height of the storm, and have not run out yet.

we have a diesel fuel pad for our apparatus so for us it shouldn't be an issue fueling the trucks; as for POV's they are on their own, whatever local gas stations are open is what they'll have to chose from.

PFDRes47cue likes this

There really isn't that much of a fuel crisis. The real problem is: 1. people hoarding. 2: transportation issues with road closures. 3: stations closed due to power outages.

The stations with gas are having a hard time keeping up with the demand, mostly because of 1 and 2 above. Around here, prices have gone up at some stations as much as $0.40/gal in the past few days. Which sucks for those of us whose lives are still "normal".

Fuel is being sent to the terminals here by barge (as normal) but then being trucked back to the metro area and NJ.

NO GAS from Westchester to DOVER PLAINS in Dutchess County per friends who commute.

FIGHTS in every gas station in Poughkeepsie since MY tour started.

NOOoooooooo.....no crisis here..LOL

It took a few days to do it but some areas are just now implementing odd-even rationing as a means to reduce congestion at the pumps. It's actually a good practice, given the limited availability and high demand.

News 12 Westchester

BREAKING NEWS: The Obama administration is ordering the purchase of up to 12 million gallons of unleaded fuel and up to 10 million gallons of diesel fuel for distribution in areas impacted by Superstorm Sandy to supplement private sector efforts.

News 12 Westchester

BREAKING NEWS: The Obama administration is ordering the purchase of up to 12 million gallons of unleaded fuel and up to 10 million gallons of diesel fuel for distribution in areas impacted by Superstorm Sandy to supplement private sector efforts.

Isn't this considered campaigning with federal funds? :wacko:

Sailr322 likes this

Here in NJ we have the ability to get prioirty fueling at Hess Station for marked emergency vehicles. Three national guard units are proving fuel to marked emergency vehicles. Our lola Raceway stations has been provifing a dedicated lane to marked emergency vehicles. We have had no problem getting fuel for marked emergency vehicles. Might have to look a little harder but as more gas stations get power restoed the better the stuation should become. My town had power restored thsi evening. Many gas stations are now pumping. Better yet I have lights and heat for the first time since Monday evening.

A few years ago the State of Flordia made it law thaat all gas stations install a generator hook up so they can provide gas to the public when the lights go out. Maybe this something that New York should look into.

PEMO3 and WCFCX613 like this

My local BP station increased the price 40. cents over night.

When the dust settles, I will no longer be a customer and get my gas elswhere.

SageVigiles, PEMO3 and peterose313 like this

Around here, the stations that are American owned/operated have barely changed their prices. The Quick-Chek in Middlehope is still at $3.68 while the scum that own the Valero almost next door went from $3.68 to $3.99. The Shell down the road from me has always been high but went from $3.88 to $4.10 (cash price. +.10 for credit/debit). Meanwhile, the American owned/operated Sunoco down the road from him has remained a constant 3.81 (cash/credit).

If any agencies are experiencing issues with getting fuel for emergency vehicles they should contact their Regioanl Coordinator, or if they can't contact the Watch Center at 518-292-2200 - there is a fuel task force in place.

A few years ago the State of Flordia made it law thaat all gas stations install a generator hook up so they can provide gas to the public when the lights go out. Maybe this something that New York should look into.

Additionally, almost every gas station is also a propane tank swap location as well. Just as a home generator is an absolute essential down here, it will be up there as well. Particularly with your temperature swings.

To protect yourself, Grosselfinger suggests that you get a receipt for your gas purchase. If you can't get a receipt, he says to use your smart phone to take a photo of the price and fuel amount display on the pump.

If you suspect price gouging, report it to:

In Westchester: 914 995 2155

In Rockland: 845 708 7600

http://pearlriver.patch.com/articles/inspectors-checking-for-price-gouging-at-gas-stations

Edited by peterose313

Most of the stations that I went to had power but ran out of product. The storm's disruption of the deliveries and barge traffic really took its toll.

“The Department of Defense mobile fueling stations are currently shut down for the public so that emergency personnel and first responder vehicles can utilize them. Members of the public should not go to these fueling stations. It is also important to remember that 28 million gallons of fuel are headed to this area right now and the lines at stations across the city should dissipate soon.”

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/11/03/fuel-trucks-to-ease-gas-shortage-in-new-york-city-long-island/