Newburgh: Fewer folks volunteering as firefighters

16 posts in this topic

Fewer folks volunteering as firefighters

Push is on to bring in new recruits

By Michael Randall

also by James Nani

Times Herald-Record

Published: 2:00 AM - 04/29/13

Suspended in a bucket at the top of a ladder truck more than 100 feet above the Town of Newburgh, Cronomer Valley Fire Department Chief Andrew DeGraw peered at a community that's changed over the years.

Where 20 years ago, the department had about 100 active members, they now have about 65. The reasons vary from people having to work more to get by, to not working in the area at all, according to fire officials.

Read more: http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130429/NEWS/304290334&emailAFriend=1

Record Online's daily poll today is tied to this article. Below is a screenshot with the results thus far.

Considering the number of positions, both interior and exterior, that citizens could volunteer for, I am saddened by the results.

post-18609-0-78993800-1367267345.jpg

The reality is this is occuring in almost every VFD. Just change the names and the article can be reusedin every community.

The real issueis how will each department handle this new reality.

Way to many are either throwing dollars at recrutment/retention without a good return on investment or are ignoring the problem and are shrinking to a point they can no longer function.

38 years ago my department had 120 volunteers & 4 paid staff and now it's down to 27 volunteers and 13 paid staff. The paid staff are 1 dispatcher and 2 firefighters per shift running 24/72 with a fire inspector on during the day from 0800 to 1630 Monday to Thursday & 0800 to 1600 Friday.

True, there is a lot of money getting thrown at recruitment and retention through SAFER and other programs, but there's no hard research into how VFDs can recruit and keep members, so there's very few vetted "best practices" out there.

But as I've said about a billion times on here: Most FDs in the northeast have at least one college within 30 minutes drive. "Bunkie" style programs work really well if managed properly. Every college has kids who were volunteers back home and every college has kids interested in the medical field who would love a chance to get some EMS experience. Right now that's the best recruitment system I'm seeing for volunteers that doesn't involve paid-per-call.

Mark Z and BFD1054 like this

According to the article, FASNY focus groups said that fear of going into burning buildings is one of the major reasons why people don't volunteer.

Why is this such an issue now as opposed to the past? Do the Everyone Goes Home/Victim Survivabilty Profiling type programs have unintended consequences?

I kind of lump that stuff all together, along with the entitlement society. "You mean I actually have to do dirty, sweaty, grimy WORK, and go into hazardous situations, I just wanted the title and the blue lights for my car"

I kind of lump that stuff all together, along with the entitlement society. "You mean I actually have to do dirty, sweaty, grimy WORK, and go into hazardous situations, I just wanted the title and the blue lights for my car"

Title, blue light, service award, not to mention other benefits. I joined in an era where you got nothing but your gear and uniform. Annual picnic you paid out of your pocket and was glad to do it. You were told to keep your mouth shut and learn. You never had to be told to do anything you just did it. Community service meant something. Now it's all about "what can I get?".

helicopper, BFD1054 and grumpyff like this

Now it's all about "what can I get?".

I think that's an unfortunate generalization. I believe there are still a healthy number of people who either volunteer or work hard for career positions (FD and PD) for the right reasons. Would it be great if every applicant did so? Sure, but let's be realistic.

The reasons why volunteer numbers are dwindling are many and varied, and too long to list here, but almost all of them can be traced back in some way, shape or form to the change in society. Statistics on the "success" rate of any number of R&R programs can be misleading, skewed...or sometimes down right wrong. To achieve success requires an understanding of the dynamics of what motivates people today, not what worked 10, 20 or 30 or more years ago. Coupled with that is R&R programs that then address those needs as they really are not what we want them to be.

Edited by FFPCogs
BFD1054 and Bnechis like this

I think everyone knows the "real" solution is consolidation and combo departments. But that will never happen.

Fire Chiefs and Commissioners would scream about losing their kingdoms

Volunteers will scream that they volunteered for X number of years only to be told they are no longer good enough, and enjoy to enjoy their new position in C.E.R.T.

Taxpayers will scream about tax hikes to pay firefighters to "do nothing except go on medicals and get cats out of trees"

Apparently from another thread there are 3 less to volunteer in Newburgh

x129K likes this

I think that's an unfortunate generalization. I believe there are still a healthy number of people who either volunteer or work hard for career positions (FD and PD) for the right reasons. Would it be great if every applicant did so? Sure, but let's be realistic.

While I agree with you that there are many who do it for the right reasons I know there are many who do not.

Volitics.... thats an added hinderance on any change.

One of the most important things a Volunteer Dept can do is to create an Explorer or Juniors program. This usually creates a steady flow of interested people for the right reasons. The years spent as an Explorer/Junior gives the kids a chance to really see what its about. Do they all go on to be productive members giving 5-10 years to your Dept....no. But most do give you some years, or join another Dept if they move. The last 14 of 17 Chiefs of my department were Explorers with the next 3 of 4 coming up the ranks also being Explorers. To run for Chief you need to have 10 years in the Department. So our program has beeen a succes. We have over 20 members in the group now. Our post was created in 1964, one of the first fire Explorer programs in NY State.

SageVigiles likes this