Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

(Photo) FDNY New KME Engine - The Finished Product

25 posts in this topic

This photo is all over the internet, don't know who took this particular one, there are a lot of similar ones floating around. This will be at on display at the LI Buff Show at Nassau Coliseum this weekend.

2014 KME

post-11-0-74124800-1392944190.jpg

post-11-0-25247800-1392944455.jpg

EdAngiolillo, Pagers and sfrd18 like this

Nice shots, but there is no "Engine 56", at least not since 1960.

56 and 57 are used for chauffeur school. The first seagrave with the raised roof carries 57 on it Yeah something seems off to me also

Nothing looks off, it is legit. Photo credit probably goes to Dan Decher but I'm not certain.

I have serious doubts that these engines will be as durable as the engines we currently have.

More scene lighting that we've ever had previously which is not a bad thing.

There is no need for all the suction hose. In the rare event that it will be needed there is no reason that every engine needs all those lengths.

Hopefully there's some more room in the front of the cab than the rigs of the last 5 years.

And the whole process is way to far behind schedule with a decent percentage of the engine fleet operating with rigs over our 10 year service life.

Call volume I have little doubt that these rigs will hold up. Their performance on the west coast has been quite good. The biggest problem is potholes and a*******. That's it. Potholes and a*******.

Potholes... If the suspension and chassis can hold up to the jarring of NYC streets it'll be a big victory. Then there are a*******....The ones that cause the chauffeurs to have to constantly be on and off the gas and brakes. If the drivetrain can sustain the abuse (I realize that drivetrain is an independent component, but how it is fitted to the rig determines a good deal of its success) it will be an equal victory.

Potholes and a*******... The Bain of FDNY apparatus for decades.

Seriously we are adults here I think the word a.hole can be allowed in context.

SageVigiles likes this

Let's be adults here. These rigs will have as many or as few problems as the next guy. The big question is the support behind it. What I mean by this is KME substantially under bid the competition. But the competition understood the FDNY demands and had at last some resources already in place to accommodate the service/warranty requirements.

I personally hope that these engines don't turn into a ponzi scheme, meaning the future rigs' profit are covering these rigs' warranty work. If that's the case what happens when KME doesn't get another order? Does that mean unit 75 and greater don't get properly taken care of; then I'm stuck on the floor above someday making a deal with God because there is no water?

I have my doubts of how these units will last but I'm sure they will initially go into pumps at least.

Sorry meant also say it all comes down to the $. Remember you get what you pay for.

SageVigiles likes this

I wonder if the aluminum wheels were thrown in for show or included as part of the bid. Usually they aren't a standard item on FDNY apparatus.

Call volume I have little doubt that these rigs will hold up. Their performance on the west coast has been quite good. The biggest problem is potholes and a*******. That's it. Potholes and a*******.

Potholes... If the suspension and chassis can hold up to the jarring of NYC streets it'll be a big victory. Then there are a*******....The ones that cause the chauffeurs to have to constantly be on and off the gas and brakes. If the drivetrain can sustain the abuse (I realize that drivetrain is an independent component, but how it is fitted to the rig determines a good deal of its success) it will be an equal victory.

Potholes and a*******... The Bain of FDNY apparatus for decades.

Seriously we are adults here I think the word a.hole can be allowed in context.

Don't forget the weather! Most of the KME around the West Coast (a large majority) won't see snow or drastic cold weather like the East Coast.

Being honest, maybe it's just me, but something looks "off" in those shots.

The windows on the rear doors look a bit off. The Seagrave's have a large window whereas the KME have 1 larger and a smaller window.

Think what you guys want but there are plenty of 20+ year old KMEs roaming the streets of Philly and the companies there are just as busy and the streets can be just as rough.

x635 likes this

And what others have said "the one's that matter" have said that inspection by the brass have been mostly positive in that this is a strongly built engine. Now with people who have said that they will not make it, they suck, "Keep Mechanics Employed" consider the fact that EVERY apparatus manufacturer has it's problems and kinks when they first show up in the field, Seagrave had their fair share of problems when they started for the city, just because they have been around for a while a lot of people don't think that.

They will be a huge problem. You can not cut 100k off a rig, still have the support and make a quality product. We have one where I live. Its hardly used and the fit and finish are a big problem. We still have another year to see all the big problems.

KME has come along way with quality. Here in Los Angeles LAFD has ordered 18 additional engines and are having faverable feed back from the field. Yes you still have issues but who doesn't. We have a huge problem with pot holes through out LA. We may not have snow but we do have major wild fires. So off road up and down canyons twisting the bodys puts up a good test. Like FDNY we where surprised when LAFD bought KME since we are a Seagrave and Pierce dept. Seagrave has many issues now so we will see how long they stick around. Yes money is always the bottom line but quility customer care is important also. The cab has more room and they turn great. Yes the older Keep Machanics Employed had huge issues but the newer ones seem to be holding there own. LaCo Fire has over 200 KME's and are pleased with what they have now. A nice change from 1996 from nothing but problems to now. FDNY good luck and i hope they keep you guys safe.As for the wheels.. not sure whats going on their. Some of the new towers have red when others do not. The Rescues and Haz Mat have Alcoas also.

Any photos pop up of the interior? I'd like to see where I'll be living for the next few years.....cab/back-step layout, important stuff.

Any photos pop up of the interior? I'd like to see where I'll be living for the next few years.....cab/back-step layout, important stuff.

Inside your current rig if the previous low bids are any indication

FFBlaser likes this

This rig looked great the LI show today. Seemed very well made.

x635 likes this

Nice shots, but there is no "Engine 56", at least not since 1960.

the stripes.

Being honest, maybe it's just me, but something looks "off" in those shots.

the stripes.

Yeah, the stripe pattern is a little off in the front, and the crew cab window configuration is slightly different as was already mentioned. The other thing I noticed is the windshield wipers....they abandoned the traditional vertical blade two-arm wiper that KME usually uses in favor of the large single arm horizontal wiper that has become standard on all other city rigs over the past several years for whatever reason.

That having been said, if this rig does hold up and perform as well as it looks, I think they will have a good thing going here.