M' Ave

Fire Chief makes Anti-Semetic remarks

32 posts in this topic

220k Salary for a department of ~60 members? Wow, I must be doing something wrong.

Ah c'mon Fairview has a very heavy Fire Load. It's money well spent!

Ya know.....ya can't spend enough money on good people, but good people don't make anti-Semetic comments about the Jewish mayor.

boca1day and Disaster_Guy like this

220k Salary for a department of ~60 members? Wow, I must be doing something wrong.

More than the Commissioner of the FDNY. That's reasonable. Commanding 60 guys making more than the guy commanding 11000 guys. No wonder NYS is so screwed up.

Before I start I need to say I do not condone, agree with or accept what the Chief did as acceptable or appropriate. With that said reading the article it appears that these comments occurred sometime in the past and were brought up as a part of some line of questioning by an attorney for a plaintiff against the district for not being hired. They were actually solicited from a party who had a conversation with the chief. It appears the Chief appologized both personally and publicly when he realized that these conversations caused personal harm. This should be left between the Chief and Finer. As far as the salary Fairview made it's own bed there. Nuff said. Again only my opinion based solely on the information in the article.

AFS1970 likes this

It's kind of ironic that Fairview has a LARGE Jewish Community Temple right down the street from Station 2, and the separate Hebrew Hospital Home campus on the other side of the district, which donated their former Rescue 3. Wonder what they think?

I also find it lame that the Chief had to read a letter to apologize while in a face-to-face apology with the Town Supervisor? Really, he couldn't have come up with something more genuine?

Let's also not forget the age-discrimination lawsuit brought against them last week.

Man Sues Fairview Over Age Discrmintation

Or the fact they want to create a new "Executive Assistant Chief" position for $135,000 a year in order to "groom" the Chiefs replacement, one of which is the son of the District's longtime secretary and companion to the late Chief Mauro.

Fairview fire commissioner sounds alarm on proposed $135G executive position

Disaster_Guy likes this

Only time I have ever heard true hatred from someone at work was when the alcohol flowed. And it wasn't a secret, and it wasn't in an official function. This guy is a joke. Had probably the greatest job going and he F'd it up. But he has civil service protection, so you know what? He can stay in that position forever. If he thinks donating 750 bucks to some organization is going to smooth things over he is sorely mistaken. The hatred in what he said goes back to Hitler and his animosity towards anyone not of the Aryan bloodline. Insert retarded for Jew, insert Irish for Jew, etc. The ethnocentrism this man displayed is beyond reprehension. If he had any self worth he would hang it up for the people that have worked hard for him. Let the legacy of the current members be his legacy, not his own downright pitiful and disgusting use of the English language.

capt2102 likes this

It's kind of ironic that Fairview has a LARGE Jewish Community Temple right down the street from Station 2, and the separate Hebrew Hospital Home campus on the other side of the district, which donated their former Rescue 3. Wonder what they think?

I also find it lame that the Chief had to read a letter to apologize while in a face-to-face apology with the Town Supervisor? Really, he couldn't have come up with something more genuine?

Let's also not forget the age-discrimination lawsuit brought against them last week.

Man Sues Fairview Over Age Discrmintation

Or the fact they want to create a new "Executive Assistant Chief" position for $135,000 a year in order to "groom" the Chiefs replacement, one of which is the son of the District's longtime secretary and companion to the late Chief Mauro.

Get the facts straight

Get the facts straight

Maybe you could help with that.

you are way off on your statement about the chiefs replacement!!!! Its not the late Chief Mauro son. Get your facts correct before you post!!!

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

you are way off on your statement about the chiefs replacement!!!! Its not the late Chief Mauro son. Get your facts correct before you post!!!

No need to use that many exclamation points, I can still read what you are saying. Even though I was wrong, where do I go exactly to get my facts straight before I post? There's a lot of information flying around. I didn't mean it like it sounded, it was Vikki Simmons, the District Chairpersons son, who is acaptain and a candidate for the position.

Vikki Simmons, chair of the fire districts five-member board of commissioners, has championed the move, saying it first requires another deputy chief to be appointed to replace whoever is serving as the chief-in-waiting in order to maintain the departments current rotation.

One of the candidates for deputy chief would be her son, a captain in the department, who would also be rotated through the executive deputy chief position if he was promoted, she said. That possibility has been criticized by some officials

It makes it very difficult for him because he doesnt get credit for his achievements, Simmons said of her son Eyrk. This is a civil service position, and in order for him to be considered, he needs to go through the training and pass the tests like everyone else.

I find it very interesting that funding for this new "Executive Deputy Chief" is being requested from the taxpayers to "groom" a new Chief, and now the age discrimination and anti-sematic remarks come out. The only way for Fairview to handle this correctly in this day and age is to ask him to step down so hecan leave and still keep his pension. THAT will send a message. All the problems originate from him from everything I've read, and he's caused the district a lot of trouble, not to mention shining a light on the fire service and racism. Vikki Simmons, the Chairperson of the District, should also step down for her lack of proper and prompt handling of this situation, and being involved in all three incidents.

He is only sorry because he got caught.

It's also funny that the union isn't involved in this, not even a brief statement. They must tolerate this type of behavior of their leadership. Must be in the culture.

M' Ave and Disaster_Guy like this

I wonder what would happen if the NYC Fire Commissioner made an anti-semitic comment to at the time

Mayor Bloomberg, who is Jewish?

Thanks for giving those who claim the fire service is racist and biased some proof!

Honestly, could not give one care about his remarks... Does he do his job... Then I'm good to move on... If the chief wants to make anti-Italian remarks while still completing his job, then tell him to feel free too.

Yeah? Taxpayer funded public servants in leadership positions can make derogatory remarks like this? I'm the first guy to hate on P.C. bulls#*t, but this isn't the kitchen table in the firehouse......

x635 and FirNaTine like this

Z

Edited by PC_420

I find it just to be a matter of free speech... As just a private citizen, I think this is a waste

He's not a private citizen, he's a uniformed officer. There's a difference. He's not Joe Shmo the anti-Semite, he's the face of the Fairview Fire Department. No one will remember his name, but they will remember what the FIRE CHIEF said.

Edited by M' Ave

Honestly, could not give one care about his remarks... Does he do his job... Then I'm good to move on... If the chief wants to make anti-Italian remarks while still completing his job, then tell him to feel free too.

Apparently he does not do his job... He's too busy being a bigot. And while you might not have issue with anti-Italian remarks, I do. You see it's not just the remarks, it's the prejudice. Are Jews and Italians not worthy of promotion on HIS job? Or are they simply not hired based on their last name? For a guy who quotes Thomas Jefferson you have a lot to learn about Liberty and Justice for ALL.

M' Ave and Bottom of Da Hill like this

Z

Edited by PC_420

Ah c'mon Fairview has a very heavy Fire Load. It's money well spent!

a heavy ems calls ?

a heavy ems calls ?

Those guys are busier then some parts of Da Bronx!

A lot? I have one quote by him.. But good for you, wanting to restrict free speech... Have fun with that... I'll leave you with a different quote from a less popular, but more influential writer- 'I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.'

I am not suggesting restricting free speech. However in my opinion, no one who is a bigot has the "Right" to be the Chief of a municipal, tax funded Fire Dept. Both you and he can stand on your soap box and say whatever you wish, no one will arrest you. Just hand in the badge and the paycheck. And do you really think a man with a white hood on at work in the private sector would have a job at the end of the day?

In this world we live in--in todays society-- we should be a tolerant and forgiving people. Having said that-- We as a fire service--and especially those in command are and must be held to higher standards. Hopefully we all learned this is Fire Officer one/two.

To show my age--things that have been said or done in the past cannot be condoned in to days society. Yes I am sure a lot of things have been said in the heat of battle or across a kitchen table that once we spoke the words we regretted saying them.

Maybe society cannot forgive and forget but hopefully we can forgive and move forward.

Just my thoughts

x635 likes this

The way Fairview FD has handled this shows the competency of the district. They didn't even suspend the guy while they figured out what to done. And at the same time, trying to figure out a way to fund a new "Executive Deputy Chief" position so he could "groom" his replacement.

As mentioned above, where's the Greenburgh union been? Do they support their leader saying this? Or are they too afraid of their leaders to say anything?

Surprising in such a multi-racial district.

As mentioned above, where's the Greenburgh union been? Do they support their leader saying this? Or are they too afraid of their leaders to say anything?

Surprising in such a multi-racial district.

Is he apart of the Union or is there an Officer's Union? Maybe he's a pos that nobody wants to defend and they want to see him go . You never know!

Most Fire Chiefs in the county are" management confidential" and are not part of any Firefighter local--- they maybe " honorary" members. Management confidential are not protected by any labor contracts. you negotiate your own salary ect. you are protected if you are a civil servant but all costs are yours to fund.

BFD1054 likes this

Is he apart of the Union or is there an Officer's Union? Maybe he's a pos that nobody wants to defend and they want to see him go . You never know!

Check out the Greenburgh Update seems there are two sides to the story

Check out the Greenburgh Update seems there are two sides to the story

Greenburgh Update

JOURNAL NEWS ADMITS REPORTING "INCORRECT INFORMATION" IN STORIES ALLEGING ANTI-SEMITIC SLURS

The Journal News admitted today that its front page stories concerning allegations that Fairview Fire Chief Anthony LoGiudice made "anti-semitic slurs" against Town Supervisor Paul Feiner contained "incorrect information."

Specifically, the Journal News admitted that it had erred in reporting several times that Chief LoGiudice "denied making derogatory remarks about Feiner in his deposition in the case."

In fact, Chief LoGiudice was never asked any questions in his deposition about Mr. Feiner, let alone asked whether he had ever said anything derogatory about him.

The errors in the Journal News story had conveyed the false and misleading impression that Chief LoGiudice had lied under oath when first confronted with such allegations.

The allegations of anti-semitic slurs first arose when the Journal News reported that retired firefighter Darryl Leak had testified in an unrelated age discrimination suit against the Fairview Fire District that Chief LoGiudice had privately called Mr. Feiner on several occasions a "c**ksucking Jew bastard."

The questions about Mr. Feiner did not appear to have any relevance to the age discrimination suit and appeared to have been raised in a last-ditch attempt to elicit embarrassing testimony which the lawyer in the case apparently thought he could use to pressure the Fairview district into giving his client a generous financial settlement of his claim.

The plaintiff in the age discrimination suit, David Hecht, is not Jewish.

Mr. Hecht, who is 45 years old, claims he was not hired as a firefighter because of his age. The suit itself is considered weak because Fairview has a longstanding policy administered by Westchester County of hiring firefighters who live within the district and Mr. Hecht is a resident not of Fairview, but of the Village of Elmsford where, according to the Village website, he is currently a member of its Zoning Board.

The Journal News also incorrectly reported that Deputy Chief Howard Reiss, who is Jewish, had likewise testified in his own deposition that Chief LoGiudice had used "anti-semitic remarks" when referring to Mr. Feiner.

In fact, Mr. Reiss gave no such testimony. His testimony was that Chief LoGiudice had called Mr. Feiner a "c**ksucker" and did not recall whether he had been called that more than once. Mr. Reiss thus never testified that Chief LoGiudice also used the word "Jew" or any slang term for "Jew." Nor did he recall hearing him called a "bastard."

Mr. Feiner compounded the false reporting by declaring in press releases that he had actually read the deposition testimony and claimed it showed two firefighters confirming the use of anti-semitic slurs against him on multiple occasions. If Mr. Feiner had actually read the deposition testimony, as he has claimed, it appears he was falsely characterizing what it said in an effort to promote himself at Chief LoGiudice's expense.