Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pagers

OMRDD Police

8 posts in this topic

Somehow there is a bad joke waiting to be made about a "special officer".

The New York State Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities Police was created through New York State Mental Hygiene Law to secure the grounds and buildings of the Office for People with Developmental Disabilities as well as to transport Office for People with Developmental Disabilities patients to and from court and other OPWDD facilities.

OMRDD safety and security officers have New York State peace officer status which is granted under Mental Hygiene Law (Section 13.25), Public Health Law (Section 455); and New York State Criminal Procedure Law (Section 2.10-12).

The NYS Office for People with Developmental Disabilities uses the "Safety and Security Officer" title for its OMRDD officers.

Officers are authorized to issue summonses and can make arrest. Some of the duties performed by officers include, but are not limited to, enforcing state and local laws, apprehending absconded patients, filling out motor vehicle accident reports and performing motor vehicle accident investigations within state grounds.%

From/Source: From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Office_of_Mental_Retardation_and_Developmental_Disabilities_Police

Capejake72 likes this

FBI: "FREEZE"

POLICE: "FREEZE"

FEDERAL AGENT: "FREEZE"

OFFICE OF MENTAL RETARDATION AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES POLICE: "FREEZE"

AFS1970 and SageVigiles like this

It's a great job that I've done now for 26 years with a 25 year retirement, my department has moved away from the police patrols of our 400 acre campus to a community based fire safety job, I am a certified code enforcement officer and we cover 9 counties, with the closure of most of the facilities it's a transition from being a police job to an emergency service dept. Where we can be deployed throughout the state to assist as needed in the event of disaster such as Sandy and the heavy snow fall this past winter in Buffalo. I have no complaints and I enjoy my job as a Sgt. with the agency

boca1day, SteveC7010 and Capejake72 like this