x635

Edgewater NJ 8th Alarm

19 posts in this topic

8th alarm fire burning in Edgewater, NJ right now.....large apartment building complex.....FDNY Marine Units mutual aid....

Like many Avalon brand buildings, probably mostly lightweight wood construction.

http://7online.com/news/fire-raging-out-of-control-in-edgewater/485292/

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2015/01/crews_battling_fire_at_edgewater_apartment_complex.html

NJ's Nepune system is also en route. Giant rolloff pump with a capacity of about 8,000 GPM.

Actually the specs said 5,000 Alex Unless that was quoted incorrectly on the stem page 3 "units" in 3 parts of the state North Middle and south a Pump rolloff, a twin reeled set up for LDH and Manifold pretty cool ... Marine 1 and 6 were reported called along with the Marine Batt. to supply water.... (NYWIRE)

this is the Neptune NJ Super Pumper page

http://www.firefightingnews.com/article.cfm?articleID=23865

You can also add Jersey City's 2 Marine units as well

Edited by BFD389RET
SageVigiles likes this

Perfect example why these "mega complexes" are scary as can be. They get built super quickly, super crappy, and to huge scale.

Wonder what type (or lack of) fire stops were in place...

x635, BFD389RET, FFPCogs and 2 others like this

Is the construction of the burning Avalon Buildings in Jersey, similar to those in the Village of Mamaroneck and the Village of Pelham ???????

BFD389RET likes this

almost every dept in bergen county either worked the fire or relocated to either Cliffside Park Fort Lee or Edgewater

Is the construction of the burning Avalon Buildings in Jersey, similar to those in the Village of Mamaroneck and the Village of Pelham ???????

I will bet good money that it is. They're all built with the same crappy lightweight construction.

Were these sprinklered with full NFPA 13 systems or the 13R, if at all?

From what I could see on the video, at lease one building was not damaged. It will be interesting to see if there is a thorough examination of the existing building to see if it was built according to the plans and specifications. It appears from the video that the fire ran the attic unimpeded. The vertical and horizontal spread and volume of fire was impressive. I don't know about sprinklers but I have to question the quality of the fire breaks. It is almost as if none existed.

I know if will be some time before we see it, but the forensic report on this fire will be most interesting, especially given the number of similar Avalon projects in both Westchester and Fairfield

There's a new-ish "Luxury Condo" in Peekskill that appears to be of very similar size and construction, if not appearance, to the Avalon complex in Edgewater.

I remember being amazed, as I watched construction progress each day, that a residential structure of that size was being built almost entirely of engineered lumber, slathered over with vinyl siding. To me, it looked like a fire trap in the making.

Toll Brothers has also built a huge cluster multi-family condo units in the village of Fishkill. They are four story units, probably sixteen or twenty apartments each, also of all engineered wood and vinyl construction.

Incredible.

Wonder if the pipe being worked on was part of the sprinkler system ?????

Not sure of NJ Code, but strictly following NFPA it's likely this complex cold have had an NFPA 13R system (residential up to 4 stories), which allows for fewer heads and excludes more areas, than the full NFPA 13 systems used in older or larger (height) buildings. I know we're fighting to ensure that 13R at the minimum is used in Townhouses for this reason, as once the fire gains any headway it overcomes the lesser Life Safety systems. If the fire started in an unprotected void (likley allowed in 13R) then the fire has plenty of fuel to overcome the 4 head design flow. We know sprinklers can be defeated, but with a fully functional properly designed full 13 system, I'd think the FD would have a much greater chance of making a stop before it grew way out of hand.

Bnechis and Newburgher like this

After the Edgewater, New Jersey Incident last week Chief Salka blogged...

"If you live in the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area you are surely aware of the gigantic fire that occurred on the shores of the Hudson River in Edgewater.

Let's start with lightweight wood construction (LWWC). We all know it sucks! Let's cut right to the facts. LWWC is just that, lightweight wood components that are assembled in such a way that they hold the weight or load that they need to carry. They only do this when they are not on fire, not assembled improperly or not damaged by plumbers, carpenters and electricians who damage them to install wiring, pipes or other components...." >>countinued below

http://www.firehouse.com/blog/12041510/lightweight-construction-is-unsafe-for-firefighters-residents

Had a conversation with our State's Fire Marshal's Office's head sprinkler guy yesterday. He noted that the reports were the units here were protected by an NFPA 13R system and there was likely some improper separation issues at the attic level. Clearly, the 13R is made for Life Safety and seeing no one was killed, the system worked, but... Is a 13R really appropriate for this many contiguous units? Once the fire gets some headway it can outpace the sprinkler system's design fairly easily. A true 13 may have given firefighters more time to cut off the spread of fire?

x635 likes this

A New Jersey lawmaker wants to freeze new multi-family developments from using the same lightweight wood construction that was used in an Edgewater apartment complex that was destroyed by fire two weeks ago.

Assemblyman Scott Rumana's bill would impose a two-year moratorium while the state evaluates the safety of light frame construction.

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/New-Jersey-to-Propose-Moratorium-on-Lightweight-Wood-That-Left-Hundreds-Homeless-After-Fire-291030761.html#ixzz3Qzw9drgn

A New Jersey lawmaker wants to freeze new multi-family developments from using the same lightweight wood construction that was used in an Edgewater apartment complex that was destroyed by fire two weeks ago.

Assemblyman Scott Rumana's bill would impose a two-year moratorium while the state evaluates the safety of light frame construction.

Read more: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/New-Jersey-to-Propose-Moratorium-on-Lightweight-Wood-That-Left-Hundreds-Homeless-After-Fire-291030761.html#ixzz3Qzw9drgn

At least they're finally listening.