MESS11FOREVER

Syosset Long Island TL 582 Dedication & Wetdown 7/30/16

13 posts in this topic

Congrats to my hometown FD!  Good Luck with it and may it serve you and the community well.

Stu Bayer-Chief Buchanan Engine Company   Syosset HS Class of '79

x635, Westfield12 and vodoly like this

The last 3 minutes of this video are an absolute embarrassment to the fire service.

Any firefighter with an ounce of respect to their trade or craft should be completely mortified to share the title of "firefighter" with the carrot-snappers participating in this "wet down".

I will be the first one to say that I don't really get wet downs. I am not sure about any formal department event that requires me to wear shorts and flipflops. Why do they always devolve into hose fights?

I thought wetting down a new ladder with master streams from other ladders was a nice touch, but there was at least one hand line that seemed to be doing nothing other than waiting for the inevitable water fight.

What are the historical roots of wetdowns anyway? Does anyone even remember anymore?

fdalumnus likes this

In the old days we did the same as the navy. Broke a bottle of champagne over the front bumper. Usually gave the honor to one of the wives of a deceased firefighter.

Six aerial devices throwing water, another rear mount standing nearby; whose minding the store where these rigs came from ? Just a thought, not looking to start a s&%tstorm.

fire patrol nyc likes this

21 hours ago, Bnechis said:

We have been told not to use brushes to wash the truck as it can harm the finish. What is the possibility that a master stream will damage the paint?

My thoughts exactly.   I am no expert on pump operations and the likes,  and I am sure its not the same amount of pressure as a pressure washer but its got to be close and can peel that paint off.   but hey its just a million dollars in tax payer money.  And who is on standby for all those tower ladders or does each FD out in LI have 2 or 3 ladders and 10 chiefs cars?   

fdalumnus likes this

With all these new rigs coming in id love to see a "water" wetdown in Westchester or anywhere in the Hudson Valley at least 1.. No straight stream or water fights, no need for someone to get hurt or a rig to get ruined.. However its totally understandable why they've never happened..  

vodoly likes this

I have been to 2 Wetdowns in Rockland county  (New City) where they come in & wetdown the new pieces & make lots of noise That works for me water fights usual a New Jersey thing  Keep em comming Mike!!

Edited by vodoly

Jeez people get asshurt on here.. god forbid you have some fun!

vodoly likes this

20 hours ago, bfd1144 said:

Jeez people get asshurt on here.. god forbid you have some fun!

At what point is it fun and what point is it a problem?

a brand new $1.4 million truck That belongs to the taxpayers?

A rule that only fog streams would be used... Until someone using a hand line switched to straight stream, to hit one of the crews in a bucket? How about when the ladder pipes were switched to straight stream and were turned on other platforms? Members operating in those platforms could have been seriously injured...but it's all in the name of fun.

AFS1970 likes this

In my recent past I was injuried in a working fire brought to the hospital via an ambulance workmen comp denied paying all the bills which to this day I'm still fighting over and being brought to collections over.  I will loose my s*** if workmencomp sees these types of  videos and pays a claim after watching this type of foolmanship. Any career guy on here will tell you what a pain in the ass comp claims are.  How do manufactures even warranty a paint job after these wet downs. Our new rigs come with specific instructions on how to clean and care for the new paint job. Tower ladder streams weren't covered I assure you.

AFS1970 and Bnechis like this