Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trauma74

Cablevision Customers Getting Raw Deal

27 posts in this topic

Cable customers are going to see this more and more. Fox vs Time-Warner Cable Systems is the first salvo. Cable systems are attempting to keep their costs down for their subscribers, while networks are trying to get "fair market value" for their shows. However, with ad revenues down across the nation for both TV and radio, it's hard to justify paying those fees.

I used to think that having Comcast sucked. Now I'm glad I have it, at lead until they fight with some channels.

It was also great that Cablevision gave their customers NO notice that this was possibly going to happen. Great customer service. The Network company is saying what they asked for on their web site but Cablevision barely gives any information at all and Emails to Cabelvision go unanswered for days.

Maybe Cablevision is just trying to get better ratings for the Knicks games by eliminating other channels. It won't help; the Knicks stink.

What do you expect from the Dolan's? Same people who spent millions on shooting down the west side stadium. One thing, with advertising money getting split more and more on the cable channels, free TV will soon be gone. ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox will have to charge cable for their programs as their typical advertisers go to some of the cable channels.

Cable customers are going to see this more and more. Fox vs Time-Warner Cable Systems is the first salvo. Cable systems are attempting to keep their costs down for their subscribers, while networks are trying to get "fair market value" for their shows. However, with ad revenues down across the nation for both TV and radio, it's hard to justify paying those fees.

Cablevision vs. Yankees Network was the first salvo. People in the Bronx and Westchester couldn't see the Yankees until that one got settled. What do we expect from MONOPOLY cable companies?

My question is, is if they are no longer carrying these channels, where is my refund from the fee I was being charged to view these channels? Oh yeah, I'm just the sucker, I mean customer.

This is not nearly as bad as when Cablevision kept eliminating channels from basic cable. On several different occasions 10+ channels were removed and replaced with a message basically telling people to move to Digital Cable or say goodbye to these channels. Once it reached the point that there were basically no channels we moved to Fios (and saved a ton of money in the process) and haven't looked back.

It was nice , put my wife on the couch turn on House Hunters make her some tea put a blanket on her feet and go friggin wild BEER, CHIPS, FOOTBALL, HUBBA HUBBA ,HOCKEY and now it's all gone, gone I said !

Edited by PCFD ENG58

FIOS!!!!!

I considered getting FIOS last summer when they finally came to my neighborhood.

Unfortunately they couldn't compete price wise with Cablevision.

I used to think that having Comcast sucked. Now I'm glad I have it, at lead until they fight with some channels.

I have Comcast where I am in CT. We lost Fox 5 WNYW last month due to the local FOX station up here (WVIT 61) using that Syntax law bull to block their signal since both were broadcasting (well not really) the same programing. Its a frigin major network and FOx 5 was way better than our local channel (with except of the local news). I'm still trying to figure out how they were able to have it blocked on cable when Fox 5 is in the broadcast area of southern CT! :angry:

What I want to know is Cablevision going to knock something off my bill while I don't have these channels. Furthermore. I wonder if they are going to "re-aline" the stations again so that I might have ALL the Spanish channels on my basic cable and knock out just about anything else worth watching. We need to bring some serious competition into Westchester, because CV just about charges and does what they want. You know VIOS has them running scared. If they didn't they wouldn't have as many FIOS bashing commercials on. I mean seriously. Do you think they are really worried about you not getting to see local news on channel 12.. not!!

Edited by COMMANDCHIEF

Call Cablevision and ask what happened to HGTV and Food Network. After they tell you whatever story, pause and ask if FiOS carries them.

Then repeat.

Screw the Dolans!

FIOS!!!!!

Is it worth the switch? I've been really debating the move. Trying to get feedback.

Is it worth the switch? I've been really debating the move. Trying to get feedback.

I'm going to miss Joe Riao '''The Miget Weather man "

FIOS!

The only thing I don't like being in Dutchess is I get weather for NYC & commercials for stuff on Long Island thats the only part that sucks

Internet is great, no problems since I got it in July....Cablevision internet dropped out everyday several times a day and I would have to reset the modem

TV signal is awsome...Cablevision channels would start to scramble due to the poor signal

One other thing that kinda sucks is you need a box for each TV but it brings all channels to each TV so all is not that bad

is TIVO able to be used with FIOS???

I am thinking about the switch as well but Love my TIVO.

I'm going to miss Joe Riao '''The Miget Weather man "

He does look like a midget on tv! He's fairly normal height in real life, though.

I remember listening to him do the weather on WPAT, Easy 93 in the 80s.

Cablevision is really irritating many people with this blackout. As posters have said, what do you expect from a cable monopoly?

Anyone know if there are any cable companies, anywhere in the country, that allow you to pick and choose what individual channels you get, and bill you based on that? None of this package level stuff.

Anyone know if there are any cable companies, anywhere in the country, that allow you to pick and choose what individual channels you get, and bill you based on that? None of this package level stuff.

Now that would be a wonderful thing. From a business point of view, why have customers pick and choose their channels for less money per month when you can ram everything down their throats for more money without a choice? I would love to pick my favorite 20 or so channels with HBO added on.

is TIVO able to be used with FIOS???

I am thinking about the switch as well but Love my TIVO.

Yes Fios will work with Tivo- if you have the newer HD DVR, You can order a cable card for $3.99 month and it will work quite well. If you have the older type, they work off of a reugular set-top box.

Value wise I don't think it's worth the switch. Although FIOS says they will give you good deals for there Triple Play package, the reality is that not everything is included in their package as it is in Cablevision's.

FIOS phone does not include all the features that Cablevision does. You can get them, about it's extra $$$ per month. I also like the idea of the unlisted number you get with Cablevison. It's extra to have an unlisted # with Verizon.

FIOS "basic" internet is slower than Cablevisions basic internet. Again, to get higher speed, you pay more.

Lastly FIOS TV requires either a box or converter for every TV hooked up to it. Cable does not.

After everything was said and done it was about $25.00 per month additional per month to match Verizon FIOS up with Cablevision.

The only complaint I would have is with their customer phone support. They are pretty much clueless. If it's not on the script they are reading from, they don't know. On the other hand, their field tech are great.

Lastly FIOS TV requires either a box or converter for every TV hooked up to it. Cable does not.

That is not true, comcast which serves alot in northern putnam county and southeastern dutchess now requires a box for every tv starting jan 6th (tommorrow). its just time before cablevision and timewarner require the same thing.

I'm not sure what features are not included with Fios, as far as on-screen caller ID it will be available shortly. As for pricing, when you call you just have to ask them to quote you EXACTLY what your monthly bill will be.I find FIOS is quite price-competitive. Internet wireless router is included and up/down speeds are rock solid- I get 35meg down and 32meg up- all day long. Also, Cablevision is slowly losing channels to digital, so eventually you will need a box/digital tuner with them anyway. Disclaimer: I am a Fios Installer!