Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
efdny2003

White Plains Fires 7/7 w/FDNY Discussion

42 posts in this topic

Listening to Scan60 right now as I'm at work at my day camp, heard something about FDNY coming mutual aid into Westchester, has anyone heard anything else about this or have further details? Unfortunately not being home I don't have my real scanner to listen and hear whats going on.

Listening to Scan60 right now as I'm at work at my day camp, heard something about FDNY coming mutual aid into Westchester, has anyone heard anything else about this or have further details? Unfortunately not being home I don't have my real scanner to listen and hear whats going on.

The FDNY is sending two engines, a purple K unit, and possibly a battlion and division mutual aid to the working fire in White Plains. Unsure of Which FDNY units at this time.

I believe FDNY units are going to a separate White Plains incident from the multiple alarm fire. County Car 2 requested them to New St. for a transformer fire. The multiple is on E. Post Rd. Lots of radio traffic, hard to hear it all so I may be wrong.

Is this a result of the layoffs?

i'D BE WILLING TO BET IT IS A DIRECT RESULT OF............a fire.

Is this a result of the layoffs?

Doubt it... If it were from layoffs the m/a would be coming from within the county. I suspect if a Purple K unit from FDNY has been called it is for specific assistance with extinguishing a fire that only Purple K will work properly on. There is not to my knowledge a unit in Westchester that carries any mentionable amount of Purple K.

Just heard 60 Control tell OEM 5 that there are 2 separate fires in White Plains.

I know one is a Con Ed transformer fire which is probably where the Purple K is responding to. I just saw on the incident alert that the other was a taxpayer fire.

Edited by E106MKFD

i'D BE WILLING TO BET IT IS A DIRECT RESULT OF............a fire.

Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear enough.

My questin is, is this a common practice for FDNY to supply M/A to White Plains when things get busier than usual (like 2 fires at the same time)? Or is it possible that now that they have less manpower they are taking unprecedented steps, like calling FDNY, to cover the city? I don't live in White Plains, nor do I listen to WPFD scanners, so I'm not familiar with what goes in in WPFD.

However, mfc2257 inferred correctly what I was asking and his answer makes sense to me.

Sorry, apparently I wasn't clear enough.

My questin is, is this a common practice for FDNY to supply M/A to White Plains when things get busier than usual (like 2 fires at the same time)? Or is it possible that now that they have less manpower they are taking unprecedented steps, like calling FDNY, to cover the city? I don't live in White Plains, nor do I listen to WPFD scanners, so I'm not familiar with what goes in in WPFD.

However, mfc2257 inferred correctly what I was asking and his answer makes sense to me.

It doesn't seem so. It looks like a special call since I don't thinks any Westchester deartments have a purple K Unit.

My guess.....High Heat + Transformer Fire = Purple K

As stated earlier, any M/A is done by other departments in the county. It was probably a specific request for Purple K. The closest ones would be 84 and 326. Permission has to be granted by the Chief of Department for mutual aid to be provided.

just saw engine 59 a battalion chief and a support unit pulling off of the hutch onto mamaroneck ave in white plains. I had no idea of what was going on until i saw the header from 287. seems like a big fire.

just saw engine 59 a battalion chief and a support unit pulling off of the hutch onto mamaroneck ave in white plains. I had no idea of what was going on until i saw the header from 287. seems like a big fire.

as per the911center AKA KED281.com FDNY Purple k unit responded to the electrical fire on New st. in white plains, ConED substation fire

There's two active fires in White Plains, one at the Con Ed substation where FDNY was called to and one I believe on E. Post Road in a row of stores with several affected. Several Westchester departments in the city at either scene or filling in for WPFD. Definitely a bad day for these fires.

The brothers are taking a beating today, White Plains x2, Queens, FDNY mutual-aid into White Plains, and the heat up there from what I've read is pretty intense.

Keep hydrated, stay safe. God bless, and may He watch over them all.

Live video stream on lohud.com

Lohud also reporting 20+ FFs injured...

Edited by bvfdjc316

For those of us that are not fire fighters and up onto speed on all of nomenclature. What the hell is "Purple K"?

Isn't Engine 59 from Manhattan? NOW THAT'S MUUUUUUUUTUAL AID! LOL!

Isn't Engine 59 from Manhattan? NOW THAT'S MUUUUUUUUTUAL AID! LOL!

133rd street if what i looked up is correct.

Second FDNY rig was E288 from Brooklyn.

There was also the funeral for FDNY/Rye FF Scott Seaver who died over the weekend. That would explain the vans carrying FF and other FDNY personnel/vehicles along Mamaroneck Avenue.

Mutual aid from FDNY is not standard practice within Westchester, even in jurisdictions that border da Bronx. As others have already stated, it has nothing to do with the layoffs but rather the need for Purple-K and the lack of that resource within Westchester County. As was noted, it takes a great many approvals for resources to leave NYC.

As for the purple-K: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple-K It allows you to fight the fire in energized electrical equipment.

Did Yonkers send any units to White Plains? Seems like their department would be the best suited if ANY in Westchester to respond to a mutual aid callout.

Didn't Yonkers have a fire at a ConED substation not more than a month ago? Why did they not call the FDNY then if large amounts of Purple K is not available in Westchester?

Edited by bvfdjc316

I wonder if Con Ed can help expedite the approval process within the FDNY for resources as it was their assets?

As of 8pm, the fire was still out of control (reported by Lohud.com). White Plains Hospital is packed with FF and others who have been affected. How many Mutral Aid Departments are on scene? Also, Who takes the role of IC on such a big fire?

Lohud Article

Edited by firedude

Didn't Yonkers have a fire at a ConED substation not more than a month ago? Why did they not call the FDNY then if large amounts of Purple K is not available in Westchester?

Yonkers Fire was in an outside substation, where purple K is not effective. Purple K is generally only considerd in a sealled unit (usually below ground).

"The fire in downtown White Plains was declared under control at about 9 p.m., having destroyed half a city block." - Lohud

Edited by 99subi

I was listening to WP fireground from when it first started. I give these guys all the credit in the world. Yes we all train for the big one and yes someone us get to fight it but few of us have to fight it under such extreme conditions. Big kudos to those guys and you make the whole brotherhood proud. Great job by WPFD and all of the other units on scene. Way to go !