Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
38ff

"Expedite Your Response"-Thoughts?

29 posts in this topic

All,

I was wondering what REALLY does it mean to "expidite" your response as a driver of apparatus. There seem to be certain levels of "unofficial" response with in the response SOP.

A) The "it's the 8th time an Automatic Alarm went off at the same location in the past 6 hours" response.. SOP says Red lights and sirens, but as a driver, I think most people drive to these at a "slowed" (as compard to normal emergency response) pace, with the lights on, an hitting the siren for only the "really dumb drivers" infront. Almost like your responding non code, but with lights.

B) The "maybe/maybe not call" Drive like you mean to get there: Red lights, and siren/air horns going "normally" Driving within SOP's for emergency response, using due regard,

C) The working fire call. You know what that means. As above, driving within SOP's for emergency response, a sense of urgency, using due regard, ect. The officer and crew are making plans/giving assignments, and in general getting ready to go to work.

D) The Chief's radio call to "expidite to the scene" Consider your know your heading to a working call before you leave the apron or get the "expidite" call enroute. The Chief gets there does his scene size up, and the radio call is "Engine 1, expidite to my location"

If your driving, your already amped up, driving with a sense of urgency, siren, lights, airhorns, and due regard. What does the expidite call do? The crew is already in "working mode" as above, so they really have nothing else they can do until they get there. The plan has been made, and unless they are told to change the plan, they are basically just waiting for the engine to arrive on scene.

As a driver, do you drive any different then you already are? Does the expidite order give you "authorization" either offically or unofficially to do anything above and beyond in a response other than burn the bearings out of the Federal Q?

For myself personally and my dept's SOP, it doesnt exist. I imagine it's the case in other dept's, but you hear it on the radio frequently.... So whats the deal? Is the term a hold over from long ago, and just needs to go the way of laying dual 2.5 inch hoses as a supply line? I think so.

What do you think?

Edited by 38ff
x635 and FirefighterJr like this

No, "Expedite" is just to make the person on the scene making the radio call feel better. I don't drive with reckless abandon when someone says "expedite." Though I have SAID expedite before when at a pretty bad scene several years ago.

On another note, check your PMs.

Plantiffs lawyer: Mr Firefighter/EMT please show me in there SOPs from your department what is meant by the term expediate and how you should drive?

Mr Firefigher/EMT: I can't

Plantiffs lawyer: Why?

Mr Firefighter/EMT: Its not an official term

Plantiffs Lawyer: If I called the 28 other firefighters/EMTs from your department what would they say?

Mr Firefighter/EMT: They would say its a serious incident and your arrival on the scene is needed fast

Plantiffs lawyer: But isn't that why you have lights and sirens

Mr Firefighter/EMT: True but we need to drive even faster

Plantiffs Lawyer: Thank you for your testimony today

..... Three days later: The jury finds in the case of estate of Jane Doe vs your town that your town and department was negligent and the estate of Jane Doe will be awarded the amount of $5,000,000. Thank you.

abaduck likes this

The term expedite is a extremely dangerous term. Safe, reasonable response ensures that all apparatus and personnel arrive safely to the scene. "Expediting" a response risks not arriving at the assignment and in addition creating another call requiring the response of personnel and apparatus who will be "self expediting" to your scene since it is a MOS involved incident. It does no one any good if you do not get to the original scene in one piece. I have always been an advocate of giving units assignments enroute that gives them the picture of the severity of the incident but does not ask them to push the limits of their response. e.g. Unit XXB1 on arrival report to staging, xxB2 report to triage, xxB3 report to transport or Engine XXX you are going to work on arrival report to the B side of the structure, etc. This pre-arrival assigning lets units know you have your hands full but also presents you as a command with a grasp of the incident.

efdcapt115 and BFD1054 like this

I hate the expedite request. Give me usable info. Confirmed structure fire or occupants trapped. Upgrade the call to cardiac arrest or major injury. I understand the need by those on scene to express the severity of the emergency but repeated requests to "expedite" or "put rush on..." or "step it up" do not suddenly allow me to fire up the jato rockets and leap over the traffic.

PEMO3 likes this

The term expedite is a extremely dangerous term. Safe, reasonable response ensures that all apparatus and personnel arrive safely to the scene.

At the other end of the spectrum, when dispatch advises you to: "respond with caution" is that a liability concern. Do we always respond with caution?

In our case this situation is created when 10 codes were dropped (by one side) and plan English based on a typo is used.

abaduck likes this

I'm going to preface this by saying I am not in any way a commanding officer. However, if I were to be, I am pretty certain the only time you would be hearing "expedite" from me would be for ConEd... although I think most of us know well that actually works the majority of the time.

Bnechis likes this

Then term "expedite" doesn't necessarily deal with response alone.It also can be termed to dispatch when ever another entity (whose response might not be as efficient) is needed on scene.If only to make it clear to their dispatch that time is of the essence.One scenario that comes to mind is Con Ed.When the call is made whether for gas or electric you are not always put on priority and when the seriousness of the situation is again relayed along with term "expedite",you may see quicker results.Other scenarios that come to mind for fire scenes include police for traffic control, or even salters/sanders from dpw. While dispatch may be waiting for the on call driver to call back ,maybe another driver should be contacted expeditiously.

Bnechis, BFD1054 and JFLYNN like this

I'm going to preface this by saying I am not in any way a commanding officer. However, if I were to be, I am pretty certain the only time you would be hearing "expedite" from me would be for ConEd... although I think most of us know well that actually works the majority of the time.

& no ETA given.

Expedite with ConEd does not mean drive faster, it means this is a priority call.

At the other end of the spectrum, when dispatch advises you to: "respond with caution" is that a liability concern. Do we always respond with caution?

In our case this situation is created when 10 codes were dropped (by one side) and plan English based on a typo is used.

Agreed, 'respond with caution' is terrible phraseology; almost designed to give some sharp lawyer ammunition. 'Respond non-emergency' is equally short and clear. As for expedite, yes when it comes to ConEd as others have pointed out, otherwise... sizeup is more useful: 'Engine XX and all units, be advised we have a confirmed working fire with persons trapped' sounds a heck of a lot more useful to this plain old line firefighter, and we all know what it will mean for the response. 'Expedite' is redundant.

Alpinerunner likes this

I find that rarely do you hear us advising an expedite of FD units. Occasionally an expedite for ALS. But more common to hear an expidite for other agencies: PD, DPW, ConEd & Water dept. As previously mentioned that common expidite is not to have them drive faster, but to dispatch on a priority level.

We do commonly hear on EMS calls; PD requests an expedite. Funny most of the time, when thats requested our ETA is less than a minute.

gss131, shadow12083 and JFLYNN like this

The only time "expedite" should mean anything is when you're travelling non-emergency with the flow of traffic and then the request means you upgrade. I've told dispatch upon the request to "expedite" that we're already travelling as fast as safely possible. Isn't that how we always respond when enroute to a true emergency? Requesting units "expedite" is the equivalent of yelling/screaming in the radio, basically giving those prone to excitement the adrenaline rush to throw caution to the wind as they're needed at the scene NOW!

Edited by antiquefirelt
Bnechis and Medic137 like this

Bnechis I agree whole hearedtly that both expedite and respond with caution are terms that while commonly accepted practice, leave everyone liable in the event of an accident/incident enroute. Replacing these phrases with advising dispatch to have the utility make this a priority request or have the unit continue non-emergency to the scene is a better term. Sometimes I wonder why rather than having units respond "with caution" anyway for example to an automatic alarm that has been confirmed a malfunction already, why incident commanders don't just give a return all units with the exception of X & Y who are already on scene. Why risk having a unit continue that last 2 or 3 miles as opposed to just returning the apparatus?

In dutchess county we use priority dispatch for ems 1 being worst 4 being non emergency no lights so if we are non emergency and someone gets on scene and says step response upgrades to lights and sirens on fire side its code 3 lights and sirens and code one no lights all fire calls are code 3 unless someone gets on scene and tells us other wise so if were code 3 or priority 1 2 or 3 then were coming with all we got so telling us to hurry up doesn't do anything but put more stress on someone who is already stressed anyway

In dutchess county we use priority dispatch for ems 1 being worst 4 being non emergency no lights so if we are non emergency and someone gets on scene and says step response upgrades to lights and sirens on fire side its code 3 lights and sirens and code one no lights all fire calls are code 3 unless someone gets on scene and tells us other wise so if were code 3 or priority 1 2 or 3 then were coming with all we got so telling us to hurry up doesn't do anything but put more stress on someone who is already stressed anyway

The Priority System in DC is a "recommended response level" based upon EMD questioning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_medical_dispatch). It is up to the individual departments to deem how THEY want their units to respond. Some departments DO run Code 1 on P4 calls, others go lights and sirens to every call.

The thought process differs from agency to agency. Some feel that the recommended response level is of sound judgment by the dispatch agency, and follow the recommendations. Some other agencies go by the principle "Well what if... We should co Code 3 just in case...".

Personally, I detest the "Request to expedite" call. If someone is already driving Code 3, well, they're already driving Code 3. All that sounds like is requesting responding units to "Drive faster" and increasing their risk of getting into an accident. Besides, it is the vehicle operator's responsibility to safely judge a response level. Say a response to an MVA (accident caused due to inclement weather) and someone requests EMS to expedite, it's already bad weather out, how much more of a risk do you want to put responders at?

PS - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation ;)

Plantiffs lawyer: Mr Firefighter/EMT please show me in there SOPs from your department what is meant by the term expediate and how you should drive?

Mr Firefigher/EMT: I can't

Haha, I just had visions of "A Few Good Men."

"Could you show me where in the regs it describes where the mess hall is?"

The only time "expedite" should mean anything is when you're travelling non-emergency with the flow of traffic and then the request means you upgrade. I've told dispatch upon the request to "expedite" that we're already travelling as fast as safely possible. Isn't that how we always respond when enroute to a true emergency? Requesting units "expedite" is the equivalent of yelling/screaming in the radio, basically giving those prone to excitement the adrenaline rush to throw caution to the wind as they're needed at the scene NOW!

This is my feeling as well. The word "expedite" should only mean an upgrade response from something other than regular emergency travel, but in this case, you should be saying "upgrade" your response from normal travel to emergency. Although really it shouldn't EVER be used because your update / scene size up should tell other units how to respond. For instance, you're responding to a diff breather and you get there before the medics and find youself working a code. All you need to say is, "Engine XX to Medic XX, be advised, we're working a code".

antiquefirelt likes this

expidite and step it up have no place - sorry. you must excersize due regard for traffic, bystanders, etc. At the end of the day isn't the most important thing everyone going home in one piece? Oh and silent flying is a no-no no matter how much you hate hearing the siren. no siren - no lights simple as that. Back in the day saw a rig get into an mva silent flying was pretty much an instant win for the plaintiff in the case

Joe

Along with the "expedite" request, usually from a unit alreasdy on scene, is the info received from dispatch. In Orange Co, they frequently will say something like "XX Fire Dept, respond for a 2 car mva, unknown injuries, children in the car".

Ok. so there are children in the car. I don't care if it's granny and her dog in the car. The response should still be the same. All this does is up the adrenaline for some responders, maybe making them a little less cautious in response than they would normally be.

Ultimately, the safe and efficient response is the responsibilty of the driver. But don't think that the officer won't be held responsible as well.

The only things the phrase "expedite" means to me is that something serious and bad is happening or going to happen and shows the urgency of the call or sitaution. If I was not "rushing" to get there, I may speed it up a bit, but, I am not going to kill myself or anybody else in the process.

I keep looking for the expedite button on my dashboard but i cant find it !!!! What really drives me crazy is having to switch over to med 9 for communications with xyz on the scene cause we can treat pts thru the radio !!!!!!

Along with the "expedite" request, usually from a unit alreasdy on scene, is the info received from dispatch. In Orange Co, they frequently will say something like "XX Fire Dept, respond for a 2 car mva, unknown injuries, children in the car".

Ok. so there are children in the car. I don't care if it's granny and her dog in the car. The response should still be the same. All this does is up the adrenaline for some responders, maybe making them a little less cautious in response than they would normally be.

Ultimately, the safe and efficient response is the responsibilty of the driver. But don't think that the officer won't be held responsible as well.

The only thing that saying 2 kids in the car may assist with is dispatching. I know in the 45-medic service area if they think there is the possibility for multiple patients or high risk patients such as geriatric or pediatric they will assign additional medics to the call. Additionally this can help command get ahead to the problem and dispatch another ambulance if there is again the possibility of high risk patients or the call not close to the main service area of the district (i.e. out in the boonies where assigning another ambulance could potentially get BLS or ALS to the quicker than the primary ambulance (i.e. closer))

Ask any of the 60 control dispatchers on here that know me what my reply is when a unit requests me to "expedite" or they radio control to have my unit "expedite." Seriously...because along the way to the call I was gonna stop for a cup of coffee. Give me information not a one word ridiculous term. Instead of wasting time "expediting" me....expedite your treatment of the patient or their movement. And I couldn't agree more "respond with caution" another joke.

helicopper likes this

Operate at all times with "Due regard", low speed non-aggressive driving will get you there as fast or faster than out of control aggressive driving.

PEMO3 and helicopper like this

Ask any of the 60 control dispatchers on here that know me what my reply is when a unit requests me to "expedite" or they radio control to have my unit "expedite." Seriously...because along the way to the call I was gonna stop for a cup of coffee. Give me information not a one word ridiculous term. Instead of wasting time "expediting" me....expedite your treatment of the patient or their movement. And I couldn't agree more "respond with caution" another joke.

Good point - don't you love it when you're being told to expedite and the patient is still on the 3rd floor of the house and nobody on the four person crew has even gone for the stair chair yet?

As Tommy knows the "Expedite" is never generated by his dispatch. But if a unit or the PD request we tell anybody to expedite, we have to pass the information along. And yes the old 10-20 should be respond with traffic!

PEMO3 likes this

"Expedite" is just a word. What one does with it is entirely up to the responder. It doesn't affect how I drive, but it does get me thinking about what I'm going to be walking into when I get there. "Expedite" actually tells me a lot. It means the scene is not under control and the person "in charge' is wetting themselves. That said, "Expedite" sounds a whole lot better than "I want my mommy!!!!"

Let's come up with something better. Ideas?

"35 Medic 1....'Clean up Aisle 5.'"

antiquefirelt and Medic137 like this

This along with step it up or the most useless pieces of information. How about I have a smell of wood burning, or occupants trapped, or ANYTHING to due with the incident.

There is only one situation where I have used expedite and that involves requesting PD. I've noticed many times, especially in city environments, we come upon a situation during an EMS call that requires police agency response. Sometimes it's just a report, others it could be a party in danger. Since the PD's in our area are very busy and short of manpower, I'll tell my dispatcher either "requesting PD no emergency" or "requesting PD expedited". It's quick, easy, and tells the PD dispatcher if they should have their officers drop some other important task to come to assist us. I used to use the term "forthwith" but I was either told that I sounded too much like a city person or I would get asked "what do you mean by forthwith".