Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Long Island Sound Fire Boats

22 posts in this topic

I know there are plenty of police vessels that handle incidents on the Long Island Sound in Westchester and Connecticut's "Gold Coast", but who has boats capable of fire suppresion?

NRPD has an old Coast Guard boat with a deck gun that can be easily deployed on the bow and throws alot of water. NRFD actually has firefighters on board on the fourth of July during the fireworks. NRPD also have a smaller boat that can also throw water using a portable pump and small deck gun..I dont think they're there in the winter but the rest of the year possibly.

Town of North Hempstead Harbor Patrol (across the sound) has a 27' SafeBoat with remote deckgun and internal fire pump as well as a 31' Bertram with a portable fire pump.

I belive Milford and Branford have boats that are capable of fire suppression duties. Not sure about the rest.

Port Chester Marine 40 has a home-made fire suppression on board : )

What got me thinking about this was the recent multiple boat fire at a New Rochelle Marina.

It's extremly dangerous to fight a Marina Fire aggresively, so I imagine New Rochelle used master streams from land (someone correct me, I have NO idea about how this fire was handled)

Given New Rochelle's prominence and location on the Sound Shore, shouldn't they have a dedicated fire (suppresion) boat as well? Especially if they develop David's Island? I know Rescue 4 has a Zodiac type boat on top of Rescue 4 that can be lowered into the water, but I believe that is only for rescues.

Make it happen, BNechis!

What got me thinking about this was the recent multiple boat fire at a New Rochelle Marina.

It's extremly dangerous to fight a Marina Fire aggresively, so I imagine New Rochelle used master streams from land (someone correct me, I have NO idea about how this fire was handled)

Given New Rochelle's prominence and location on the Sound Shore, shouldn't they have a dedicated fire (suppresion) boat as well? Especially if they develop David's Island? I know Rescue 4 has a Zodiac type boat on top of Rescue 4 that can be lowered into the water, but I believe that is only for rescues.

Make it happen, BNechis!

We have had 2 working fires in 2 different marinas this week. Both were on land and in one case over 300 feet from the water. Boat fires in drydock need to be fought very aggrssivly with master streams (particularly elevated streams) as the potential for massive spread is very high. You are correct the boat on R-4 is only for rescue and only on the 11 lakes and areas in and around the 2 harbors as beyond that is the responsability of the NRPD Harbor patrol.

I would love to see a dedicated fire suppresion boat, we have many other priorities, like engines and trucks. For those who think a property tax cap cant hurt the FD......We were the only city in NY to have had one forced on us (for 15 years) by the NYS Legislature. We still have not made up for the loss.

By the time Davids Island is developped any boat purchased will have been retired. The city started to attempt to develop Davids Island in 1969.......42 years later we have nothing planned.

For the Gold Coast, going from North to South, Stratford has a Zodiac, jet skis, and a larger fireboat, but I'm not sure if it has suppression capabilities or if they even still have it. Bridgeport has a 26' Aluminum suppression fireboat(Fireboat 1) with a 1250gpm. pump that can throw a decent amount of water. It hasn't really been used that often though. Bridgeport also has I believe 3 Zodiacs/skiffs as support boats. Fairfield and Westport each have 2 Zodiacs and possibly 1 or 2 smaller boats. Norwalk has a fireboat (Marine 24-Harry Brower) with a deck gun on it that can serve both suppression and rescue capabilities. Darien has a fireboat(Noroton FD Marine 34) similar to Bridgeport's and Norwalk's with a deck gun and fire and rescue capabilities. It is also the town's only fireboat. Stamford also has a 41' fireboat(Fireboat 1), however, I'm not sure if it has suppression capabilities or not, as well as 6 or so smaller boats. Finally, I believe Greenwich has 2 Zodiacs and possibly a few smaller boats. I don't think there are any more in or around the Gold Coast other than the ones I and IzzyEng4 have mentioned.

Edited by sfrd18

I believe the Village of Mamaroneck FD has a fire boat.

Boat Fire Tactics:

1. Use copious amounts of water.

2. Fill the burning vessel up to the gunwales.

3. Once burning vessel is no longer visible, allow the fuel fire on the surface to burn out.

If you don't have a fireboat, go directly to step #3.

CFFD117 and Bnechis like this

Does the County Police Marine unit have fire suppression?

As for FD's, Mamaroneck Village, Mamaroneck Town, Rye, and Port Chester all have marine units (Source). Unkown which have fire suppression.

Boat Fire Tactics:

1. Use copious amounts of water.

2. Fill the burning vessel up to the gunwales.

3. Once burning vessel is no longer visible, allow the fuel fire on the surface to burn out.

If you don't have a fireboat, go directly to step #3.

Chief, it is clear that your career in Landlocked Hartsdale did not completely prepare you for boat fires.

Boat Fire Tactics:

1. Allow fire to burn down to the waterline.

2. Then use copious amounts of water. (we find salt water works fine.

3. The burning vessel will be instantly extingushed. but, a fuel fire may exist on the surface, allow it to burn out.

Total side note, but one worth asking;

Hpw do you career fire departments feel about police vessels with firefighting capabilities and the efforts of said police units in extinguishment?

Does the County Police Marine unit have fire suppression?

As for FD's, Mamaroneck Village, Mamaroneck Town, Rye, and Port Chester all have marine units (Source). Unkown which have fire suppression.

Another question is how many of these agencies that have had marine units are operating them this summer? Given the economy and budget demands, I've heard that a lot of them may be cut back or eliminated. I think they were all facing mothballs if the state subsidy for marine patrols didn't get put back into the budget.

post-1066-0-95674900-1304263162.jpgNew Rochelle Fire,Police, and EMS operating for a medical call aboard a cable layer on LI Sound

post-1066-0-97238200-1304263365.jpgNew Rochelle PD's 41 Footer

post-1066-0-25952500-1304264393.jpgRye Fireboat. I think it was homemade by Rye members in the mid 1970's Edited by wraftery

4750352481_e643dbe4f9_z.jpg

4750997494_813c0526e3_z.jpg

5676366600_89e8ae6754_z.jpg

5676367480_43d0a7fb13_z.jpg

5675804711_9d14e87b15_z.jpg

Sorry for the bad photos, taken a long time ago with an old camera.

That was Ryes old boat that sank and was salvaged. Another was donated recently and will be set up soon as we are just nearing servicing Rye Pd PB2 for the season. Rye Pd PB1 is in service.

At Noroton FD (Darien) we have a 27' Boston Whaler Challenger Fire Boat, which remains in the water year round. Fire Suppression and Rescue capabilities, one bow mounted deck gun and a mid-deck hydrant for operating multiple handlines.

Edited by BKeane

Chief, it is clear that your career in Landlocked Hartsdale did not completely prepare you for boat fires.

Boat Fire Tactics:

1. Allow fire to burn down to the waterline.

2. Then use copious amounts of water. (we find salt water works fine.

3. The burning vessel will be instantly extingushed. but, a fuel fire may exist on the surface, allow it to burn out.

LOL< Barry, but there is s subtle difference in our tactics. My tactics will work, but your's, given a steel hull, might take a while to burn to the waterline. Filling the hull will make the gunwale and the waterline one and the same. It's all because even red nuns have odd green cans.

Edited by wraftery
Bnechis likes this

In 1973, Mamaroneck had a 26ft steel-hulled fireboat outfitted as a fireboat by then Harbormaster Hank Sheridan, also a volunteer fireman. Hank was an ingenious fellow who added a 750gpm pump, permanently installed with a thru-hull suction and bow deck gun. I had the pleasure of working for Hank when I was a kid, and had the pleasure of taking the boat on its sea trials. The pump was so powerful hat the deck gun would push it baclwards and I found myse;f steering with the deck gun. This was overcome by securing a line to the vessel on fire with grapples or by double anchors.

Shortly after being commissioned,, the fireboat as going to appear at the Mamaroneck Beach and Cabana Club for my wedding reception, and Hank said he would color the streams like the FDNY big boats.

Unfortunately, the club burned down two days before the reception. It was the boat's first "job."