Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
demps121

Places To Ride An ATV In Westchester/Putnam/Dutchess?

29 posts in this topic

Any body have any decent places to ride in WEST/PUT/DUT that you will not be chased from or given a ticket

x635 likes this

Any body have any decent places to ride in WEST/PUT/DUT that you will not be chased from or given a ticket

I did untill you said chased from or given a ticket

FF398, BFD1054 and firedude like this

Ride it in your own backyard.

That gets very boring...and if you are a grass nut like me - despise ruining your meticulous lawn...

x635 and Haggerty 1029 like this

Good evening Captain,

Unfortunately, places to legally ride are few and far between. I ride friends/in-laws machines in Vermont or upstate New York without incident. Its a damn shame you have to travel to enjoy some recreational ATVing.

I have some friends who ride regularly, ill check with them and hopefully have some answers for you.

x635 likes this

I have ridden lost trails in PA not bad tons of boulders. There is a club just south of Albany to ride you must pay membership fee and provide proof of insurance.

x635 likes this

There are tons of places all over Westchester/Putnam and Dutchess where you can ride you quad. Most of them are illegal and private property but they have established riding trails (don't ask me how I know). Most of these spots are fairly deep in the woods away from prying eyes. I've been riding quite a few times for a couple of years now and haven't had a problem. Then again, me and my riding buddies observe a few simple rules that if EVERYONE followed it would make life easier for both the ATVer and the landowner.

Stay off any public roadways

Haul out whatever trash you haul in. Nobody wants to see empty beer bottles, potato chip bags or whatever other kinda trash you can imagine.

Stay on the establish trails and don't try to blaze new ones doing so amounts to tearing up the guys land.

If possible ask permission.

Leave the trail in a better condition than what you found it in (I always try to pack a large trash bag and sometimes end up picking up other peoples trash).

That being said, what kind of machine do you have and how often do you try to get out to ride?

x635 and helicopper like this

What is the deal with powerlines? I ALWAYS see guys riding on them in Pleasant Valley and Rhinebeck...I imagine the cops know they are there as they park in plain sight...

I have a Polaris Sportsman 330....in desperate need of a new exhaust.

x635 likes this

The powerlines are one of the spots that people have been riding for years. Again its private property. Depending on where you live it could be ConEd (Yonkers/Southern Westchester) or NYSEG (Dutchess). For the most part if you're responsible and don't draw attention to yourself its not a problem. Cops like quads as well (again, don't ask me how I know) so for the most part they're pretty understanding from what I hear.

As for your exhaust problem here are a couple of links to help you out.

FMF Exhaust

Muzzy Racing

Rocky Mountain ATV

x635 likes this

just got my son a polaris 200, and I am looking at a used machine on craigslist.

If anyone wants to send me a message where they ride so it is not posted GREAT. I understand alot of people dont like to give up there spots.

Edited by demps121
x635 likes this

I have ridden lost trails in PA not bad tons of boulders. There is a club just south of Albany to ride you must pay membership fee and provide proof of insurance.

Lost Trails is no more. Could not pay their taxes is what I was told. Too bad that place was alot of fun.

x635 likes this

Ive got a bunch of places right in the cortladnt /yorktown area but again, none are legal, i ride em all the time with no issues though.

x635 likes this

Here in the great State Of Texas, we have hundreds of trails for ATV's down here, in all kinds of enviroments from swampland to desert, to beaches to mountain and canyons, to thick forest and tricky hills.

You can even get a few ATV's and a RV vacation package.

As long as you're not doing anything illegal or dangerous in a populated or private or protected areas, Law Enforcement has better things to do. LEO's want to catch criminals and stop crime. ATV'ing is considered recreation. And every LEO that I know uses every excuse in the book to use the department's ATV's when there's a missing person search, etc!

And since your are an FD Captain, that would give you a lot of respect. "This guy sends firefighters into burning buildings and makes sure they go home. Why would someone harrass him for riding with his son-damn yankees"-quote I just got...

There's a lot of trails in the Rochester area and of course where I am right now, in southern Ontario. Unfortunately our area isn't countryfied enough to provide legal atv/snowmobiling trails.

x635 likes this

Lost Trails is no more. Could not pay their taxes is what I was told. Too bad that place was alot of fun.

Actually Lost Trails is quite open. They never shut down. Not sure where you got this information. Perhaps you're mistaking them with "Paragon ATV Park" which closed down due to the landowner not wanting to renew their lease.

x635 likes this

Exit 8 off I684, off of Hardscrabble Rd (Fields Lane, precisely). One of the best places I've found in Westchester so far. It is private property but from what I'm told, the owner actually allows people to ride on it. There are many different terrains there also (Traditional trails, steep hills, 90 degree bank turns and open flat areas with jumps.)

x635 likes this

As long as you're not doing anything illegal or dangerous in a populated or private or protected areas, Law Enforcement has better things to do. LEO's want to catch criminals and stop crime. ATV'ing is considered recreation. And every LEO that I know uses every excuse in the book to use the department's ATV's when there's a missing person search, etc!

And since your are an FD Captain, that would give you a lot of respect. "This guy sends firefighters into burning buildings and makes sure they go home. Why would someone harrass him for riding with his son-damn yankees"-quote I just got...

Well I'd be careful with that line of thinking. If you're on private or "protected" land without permission that is called trespassing and I believe it is a crime, which cops are paid to stop just like you state in your post. Being a captain on the job has nothing to do with the price of tea in china.

My point is don't take an arrogant stance when playing in someone else's backyard like you have a right to be there. Certainly don't go throwing your title in someone's face because it might work against you. Not everyone likes ATVs or the people that ride them. Lots of landowners or their neighbors will complain about the noise and the irresponsible riding habits of some. Keep in mind that unless you're riding in a designated ATV park you're probably doing something illegal. Even if it seems trivial.

Edited by Bull McCaffrey
x635 likes this

I have a 2011 Kawi Brute Force, looking to ride on the weekends so if you're in Dutchess and have some places to ride hit me up, I would love to get it out on the trails and use it for something other than plowing.

x129K likes this

Lower Hudson valley is tough if you want to stay "legal". Lost Trails is open, they moved up to PA by the New York line. Its called Headquarters moto facility. Try the 3 links below also.

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/

http://www.headquart...tofacility.com/

http://www.dcnr.stat...v/atvindex.aspx (some of these are not that far)

Edited by mta311
x635 likes this

Actually Lost Trails is quite open. They never shut down. Not sure where you got this information. Perhaps you're mistaking them with "Paragon ATV Park" which closed down due to the landowner not wanting to renew their lease.

The original Lost Trails was closed in August of 2010. Information came right from their website when we were planning a second trip there. What I did not know is that they reopened at a different location in June of this year. Maybe a fall trip is in order.

x635 likes this

Exit 8 off I684, off of Hardscrabble Rd (Fields Lane, precisely). One of the best places I've found in Westchester so far. It is private property but from what I'm told, the owner actually allows people to ride on it. There are many different terrains there also (Traditional trails, steep hills, 90 degree bank turns and open flat areas with jumps.)

I believe that is no more since they have been building there lately, thats where i used to go all the time and we used to have state police stop in every so often and mention to stay off road and we wouldnt be bothered... I have been looking for places as well lately and a couple people at work have told me of an old quarry in middletown i think it was otherwise my other option if i can get a good group together would be the state parks in PA as most of them have trails, all they require is the atv being registered in the state you live in.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/atvindex.aspx

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/pennsylvania_list.htm

x635 likes this

There was a decent place in Modena we used to ride at but haven't been there in a couple of years.

Take the ride up to VT and Mass for their trails. Not too far away and incredibly extensive.

What is the deal with powerlines? I ALWAYS see guys riding on them in Pleasant Valley and Rhinebeck...I imagine the cops know they are there as they park in plain sight...

In Westchester almost all the power line ROW are Con Ed property and they will prosecute trespass violations. In other words: STAY OFF!

If you're caught Con Ed wants you prosecuted. If you run, the cops are going to make your life miserable.

Find private property, get the landowners permission and you'll have no problems.

Demps, stop looking at Craigslist for aother ATV and get your butt over to NewRoc Harley. You can ride a Harley legally on every road, street, parkway and highway. All you need is a license and a helmet. Get in the wind dude!

Edit: Had asked you for a rundown but we got it from somebody else...nevermind....lol

Edited by efdcapt115