Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Tuckahoe Fire 9-5-11 (Ladder 16 Makes Dramatic Rescue)

34 posts in this topic

From what I understand, there was a fire in Tuckahoe today in a multi-family residence where every resident was related to a firefighter somehow. It was also owned by a firefighter.

I also saw on LoHud.com that Chief Grogan identified Firefighter John Reichelt and Lt. Dan Grogan of Ladder 16 (Tuckahoe) made a heroic and dramatic rescue of a victim who was trapped on the third floor.

Additionally, smoke alarms are credited for waking residents up and evacuating them.

I'm sure we'll hear more from our Eastchester members (and maybe someone has enough info to write the IA).

Lohud

Good job by the EFD, hopefully all of the occupants are OK and can rebuild / recover quickly.

Heavy Fire at 134 Columbus Ave. Tuckahoe. House is owned by a retired Eastchester FF. A resident was rescued off the roof by the crew of Ladder 16 out of the Tuckahoe Fire House.

post-7014-0-04770000-1315265400.jpg

BFD1054, M' Ave and firedude like this

Fire was in a 3 story house. The building had terra cotta & cement wall cover by plaster. House was bulit like a fortress.

post-7014-0-99790900-1315270619.jpg

BFD1054 and firedude like this

Fire was in a 3 story house. The building had terra cotta & cement wall cover by plaster. House was bulit like a fortress.

That's some strong work right there.

Looks like an awesome stop by EFD, congrats guys!

For those who really do not have these types of buildings in their first due, what are some ways those who do, "work smarter, and not harder" in gaining access to voids, chases and runs behind the walls? Brute strength, Saws, Sheetrock pullers?

PFDRes47cue and BFD1054 like this

Is there an engine co. housed with L16 in that station and also is the victim standing on the roof of the fire building or an exposure?

Great photo.

I am thinking the title of this photo something along the lines of "16 Truck catches a job" or "Eastchester goes to work".

Is there an engine co. housed with L16 in that station and also is the victim standing on the roof of the fire building or an exposure?

No engine...single truck company....victim is on the fire building. There is a 10 foot alley in between the exposure 2 side. Photo makes it look like he is on the 2 exposure.

post-2865-0-26947600-1315327334.jpg

Edited by Doc Holliday

Nice grab Ladder 16! That looked like a real job!

Engine 28 is also housed with Ladder 16 at Eastchester station 2 in Tuckahoe. It was taken out of day to day service about 8 or so years ago and is now the reserve engine

Engine 28 is also housed with Ladder 16 at Eastchester station 2 in Tuckahoe. It was taken out of day to day service about 8 or so years ago and is now the reserve engine

Maybe a good time for the Union to push for it to be put back in, no?

I would also like to say, EXCELLENT placement by the Apparatus Operator of Ladder 16!!

Compared to several years ago, when Eastchesters fleet was in dire need, we're lucky Tuckahoe even has Ladder 16! Given the population density and wood frame structures, IMHO there should be an staffed Engine company as well. I never really understand Eastchester...is it funded through a fire district tax, or contracted by the Village Of Tuckahoe?

For reference photographically (thanks again demps121):

Ladder 16:

post-11-0-51195800-1315352736.jpg

post-11-0-28180900-1315353122.jpg

Engine 28, at least Engine 28 in 2007.

post-11-0-93100400-1315352873.jpg

Tuckahoe Firehouse:

post-11-0-32016000-1315352988.jpg

I never really understand Eastchester...is it funded through a fire district tax, or contracted by the Village Of Tuckahoe?

The Eastchester Fire District covers the Town of Eastchester which includes the villages of Bronxville, Tuckahoe and the unincorporated portion of the Town.

Villages can have a municipal dept or they are covered by a district (which covers some or all of the town + the village), but generally they do not contract the service.

Fire District tax. That was the 1969 Mack Engine 28 no longer part of the fleet. Eastchester bought and old rig from Hartsdale I think about 3 years ago. Its the only yellow rig in the fleet!

Maybe a good time for the Union to push for it to be put back in, no?

My opinion is that they should put Res5cue back in service out of station 2!

Okay here's the deal. Barry's right about the laws pertaining to villages and fire departments. For reference observe the Village of Pelham; has it's own FD. 100+ years ago, the Town of Eastchester's fire companies (including the two villages) joined forces and became a Fire District; a combined service that covers all three municipalities. The only combined service to this day of the three municipalities.

The first career firefighters were hired (in the 1920's?), and all the apparatus in service at the time, 5 engine companies, two trucks, a heavy rescue, as well as a shop, and an alarm bureau, and a dispatch office were minimally staffed with career personnel to augment the hundreds of volunteer firemen the district used to have.

The decades passed, the demographics changed and by the 1970's it was becoming more than apparent that the volunteer ranks were dwindling. Yet, the rigs were still staffed with one career guy per rig. With the density of the district, the number of high rise structures, etc, it was becoming apparent staffing was inadequate.

The first step that was taken to address the manpower issue was to hire guys in a new (and highly controversial) position of "Daytime Firefighter." Irregardless of what the various chiefs through the decades had reported to the Board of Commissioners, the Board always chose the cheap way out. To address the fact that there was virtually no volunteer response during the "daytime" hours they tried to solve the problem by hiring these new firefighters to work 8-4/9-5 something, five days a week. They became known within the job as "day-slaves" and the fight was on between the union and the Board for as we saw it, a violation of the terms and conditions of employment.

As that started to work it's way through the court system, Engine 27 now had a chauffer and three firefighters to respond throughout the district. It was the first increase in career manpower anyone could remember, yet it was full of controversy. As "regular" career firefighters retired, "day-slaves" graduated to the regular terms and working schedule of the job.

I know it sucked for those "day-slaves while it was happening, but the positive side of it was the members got on the job, and eventually enjoyed the full working conditions. I drove E-27 with a day-slave crew. It was great having the manpower; if the Board at the time didn't nickel and dime the job the controversy wouldn't have arisen.

Eventually the union prevailed and the day-slaves were eliminated. they were absorbed into the regular squads(groups) and that was that.

The next thing the Board did was contract with a consultant. What they wanted was more firefighting capability for the same money. What they got was; elimination of the dispatcher and transfer of that function to 60-Control. the dispatcher position became the step-man on E-27. Next they shut down Rescue 5 and as Bob Kelly loved to say, "slid that member across the floor" and now they had a step-man on E-29. In the north end, and Chester Heights, there was no getting around the fact that they needed more manpower. So they created a step-man position for Engine 30 in the Heights. Up north they had Engine 31 and Ladder 17. Ultimately thy staffed those rigs with two additional firefighters.

They also added Lieutenants along the way, all of these moves in conjunction with the recommendations of that consultants report. One Lt. was assigned to the north end and one to Tuckahoe.

In Tuckahoe they took engine 28 out of service, and I don't know if any of you noticed this in the photos, Ladder 16 is a Quint to keep with the ISO rating I think. Now the didn't need a sixth engine anymore as a spare; they used Engine 28. They took the chauffer position of E-28 and made it the step position on Ladder 16.

And that's how EFD wound up with four front line engines, two ladders (one really a quint one a ladder tower) and two firefighters on all the rigs. Two is better than one, but we all know two still isn't enough to really run a company properly. What will the future hold?

My fingers are tired.

JetPhoto likes this

Fire District tax. That was the 1969 Mack Engine 28 no longer part of the fleet. Eastchester bought and old rig from Hartsdale I think about 3 years ago. Its the only yellow rig in the fleet!

Sorry. Thanks Pete I didn't know they still kept a sixth engine. But it's yellow? Eesh. No offense to our Hartsdale Brothers of course! B)

The first step that was taken to address the manpower issue was to hire guys in a new (and highly controversial) position of "Daytime Firefighter." Irregardless of what the various chiefs through the decades had reported to the Board of Commissioners, the Board always chose the cheap way out. To address the fact that there was virtually no volunteer response during the "daytime" hours they tried to solve the problem by hiring these new firefighters to work 8-4/9-5 something, five days a week. They became known within the job as "day-slaves" and the fight was on between the union and the Board for as we saw it, a violation of the terms and conditions of employment.

As that started to work it's way through the court system, Engine 27 now had a chauffer and three firefighters to respond throughout the district. It was the first increase in career manpower anyone could remember, yet it was full of controversy. As "regular" career firefighters retired, "day-slaves" graduated to the regular terms and working schedule of the job.

I know it sucked for those "day-slaves while it was happening, but the positive side of it was the members got on the job, and eventually enjoyed the full working conditions. I drove E-27 with a day-slave crew. It was great having the manpower; if the Board at the time didn't nickel and dime the job the controversy wouldn't have arisen.

Eventually the union prevailed and the day-slaves were eliminated. they were absorbed into the regular squads(groups) and that was that.

What an interesting issue. I have seen a number of depts & unions that have fought to get "day-slaves" to deal with a lack of volunteers and just as many depts & unions that have fought against it.

The next thing the Board did was contract with a consultant. What they wanted was more firefighting capability for the same money. What they got was; elimination of the dispatcher and transfer of that function to 60-Control. the dispatcher position became the step-man on E-27. Next they shut down Rescue 5 and as Bob Kelly loved to say, "slid that member across the floor" and now they had a step-man on E-29. In the north end, and Chester Heights, there was no getting around the fact that they needed more manpower. So they created a step-man position for Engine 30 in the Heights. Up north they had Engine 31 and Ladder 17. Ultimately thy staffed those rigs with two additional firefighters.

I think part of the issue has been the board still considers EFD to be a combination department, but with no volunteers left, it is really just a severly undermanned career dept. One problem I see is your land area is similar to NR or WP, but your population is almost 1/2 making it very hard to fund to the same level.

Ladder 16 is a Quint to keep with the ISO rating I think. Now the didn't need a sixth engine anymore as a spare; they used Engine 28. They took the chauffer position of E-28 and made it the step position on Ladder 16.

The quint in EFD's case should not have an effect on the rating (they may have thought it would).

efdcapt115 likes this

Sorry. Thanks Pete I didn't know they still kept a sixth engine. But it's yellow? Eesh. No offense to our Hartsdale Brothers of course! B)

Sorry not Hartsdale Old Fairview Eng 176

What an interesting issue. I have seen a number of depts & unions that have fought to get "day-slaves" to deal with a lack of volunteers and just as many depts & unions that have fought against it.

I think part of the issue has been the board still considers EFD to be a combination department, but with no volunteers left, it is really just a severly undermanned career dept. One problem I see is your land area is similar to NR or WP, but your population is almost 1/2 making it very hard to fund to the same level.

The quint in EFD's case should not have an effect on the rating (they may have thought it would).

Hi Cap. The Quint issue was a way for one particular commissioner to placate a very vocal minority regarding having a pumper in Tuckahoe. (As a sidenote with Engine 27 now running first due in most of Tuckahoe, I don't think Ladder 16 has EVER gone into engine evo's at a fire) For the reasons you stated above, with regard to size vs. funding vs. the view of EFD still being a combo dept., all of these things are why I've supported in spirit, the lower Westchester consolidation plan.

Bnechis likes this

Sorry not Hartsdale Old Fairview Eng 176

Bad info from you Pete? I'm SHOCKED! :rolleyes: Thanks for the clarification 59.

PS: I'm sorry to steer the conversation away from the job the Brothers caught and the grab they made. Maybe we could save any further discussion about the hows, and whys of EFD for another thread, and get back to the ops at Columbus Ave. By the way condolences to Brother Saviano, recently retired, who owns the home as well as the construction company adjacent to the fire building. I worked with Larry for quite a few years in the Tuckahoe firehouse, there's not a finer gentleman you could ever clock in with.

Edited by efdcapt115

Bad info from you Pete? I'm SHOCKED! :rolleyes: Thanks for the clarification 59.

PS: I'm sorry to steer the conversation away from the job the Brothers caught and the grab they made. Maybe we could save any further discussion about the hows, and whys of EFD for another thread, and get back to the ops at Columbus Ave. By the way condolences to Brother Saviano, recently retired, who owns the home as well as the construction company adjacent to the fire building. I worked with Larry for quite a few years in the Tuckahoe firehouse, there's not a finer gentleman you could ever clock in with.

LOL! Can't be correct all the time :P