Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PEMO3

Say it ain't snow! 'SnowLeaf' 2.0?

32 posts in this topic

A DEVELOPING COASTAL STORM WILL BRING THE FIRST SNOWFALL OF THE SEASON TO THE REGION ON SATURDAY. SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW ARE POSSIBLE FOR THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS IN THE AFTERNOON INTO THE EVENING. WHILE ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED MAINLY ON THE GRASSY SURFACES...SOME ACCUMULATION OF SNOW IS LIKELY FOR AREA ROADWAYS AFTER SUNSET. THERE REMAINS A CHANCE THAT SOME AREAS COULD SEEN AS MUCH AS 6 INCHES OF SNOWFALL...BUT THE MORE LIKELY SCENARIO IS FOR 1 TO 3 INCHES OF WET SNOW.

efdcapt115 and firedude like this

Got two feet of snow the day before Halloween three years ago...good times.

It has already snowed in Texas, we beat you to it, NY! Amarillo, a city in the panhandle section of the state, recieved 6" this morning.

just finished snowing here in beekman no accumulation, just walked home from a friends house cause the tranny in my ranger went its very cooooldd.ugh and it looks like my area is in the 6-10 zone greeeaaat!!

JohnnyOV and efdcapt115 like this

... just walked home from a friends house cause the tranny in my ranger went its very cooooldd.ugh ...

What are you doing with a Tranny in your Ranger?? :blink::lol:

Here we go!!!

Issued by The National Weather Service

New York City, NY

4:11 am EDT, Fri., Oct. 28, 2011

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS... THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY INTO INTERIOR SOUTHWEST CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES... HEAVY WET SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS... 4 TO 8 INCHES.

* WINDS... NORTHEAST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES... IN THE MID 30S.

* VISIBILITIES... LESS THAN 1 MILE AT TIMES.

* TIMING... A MIX OF LIGHT SNOW AND RAIN WILL BEGIN DURING SATURDAY MORNING... AND THEN CHANGE TO ALL SNOW LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON. THE SNOW COULD BE MODERATE TO LOCALLY HEAVY LATE SATURDAY AFTERNOON INTO SATURDAY EVENING... BEFORE TAPERING OFF LATER SATURDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS... WIDESPREAD HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS. LOCAL POWER OUTAGES ARE ALSO POSSIBLE DUE TO FALLING TREE LIMBS LADEN WITH THE HEAVY WET SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&&

More Information

... AN EARLY SEASON SNOWSTORM IS LIKELY FOR THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND INTERIOR SOUTHWEST CONNECTICUT...

JohnnyOV likes this

What are you doing with a Tranny in your Ranger?? :blink::lol:

+1 for reading my mind.... but hey, to each his own now-a-days

x129K and JetPhoto like this

just finished snowing here in beekman no accumulation, just walked home from a friends house cause the tranny in my ranger went its very cooooldd.ugh and it looks like my area is in the 6-10 zone greeeaaat!!

+1 for a funny post, we all know you didn't mean it the way it "reads". This is a great opportunity to "build them chops" because the responses here are reflective of how you will get them busted once you do get on the job.

Say hi to your dad for me. :)

Got YOUR shovel ready, Capt? :D

post-128-0-46780000-1319816667.jpg

Bet you don't miss the northeast snow, too much!

Bnechis likes this

Got YOUR shovel ready, Capt? :D

post-128-0-46780000-1319816667.jpg

Bet you don't miss the northeast snow, too much!

Thanks for reminding me Jack. We're headed to the beach tomorrow and I love to build sand castles. Be lost without my shovel and bucket! You saved me! B)

We just dodged Hurricane Rina, the last possible storm to affect us this season, which ends Tuesday. So, another year with no storms. Ironically, 'you' got the only Hurricane to hit the East coast this year. Now its just 60's to 80's typical till next June. I moved South because of the cold and snow. I'll take the occasional Hurricane anytime to four months of constant cold and frequent snow storms.

I'll rest a whole lot easier once we get through the entire month of November. Somewhere along the line the season end has been extended first to Nov 15th, and now out to Nov 30.

It was 20 years ago today weather conditions set the stage leading to "the Perfect Storm" forming that subsequently did a major number from North Carolina along the east coast before targeting New England as an un-named Category 1 hurricane.

x129 with his Redneck snowblower.

Dual stacks and a detroit diesel.

You forgot the attached tractor drawn lawn chair on wheels and cooler- o- beer

the weather channel showed 10-15 for the mid hudson valley and said it could be a historic event...not what I wanted to hear. lol

Upstate, We got about an inch yesturday. Hearing mixed reports but are expecting somewhere beteen 2-6 tomorrow.

post-17100-0-12638400-1319839718.png

From the National Weather Service.

Edited by firedude

What are dept. doing for the snow on sat.

x129 would NEVER use a device in which he had to WALK behind..K...

Polaris Power for this kid....braapppp brraaappppppp!

post-2837-0-55063600-1319889833.jpg

Edited by x129K

Got two feet of snow the day before Halloween three years ago...good times.

That's nothing compared to what the thread heading refers to. The original "SnowLeaf" storm was on October 5(?), 1987. It was a freak snowstorm of heavy wet snow that tore down trees limbs everywhere you turned as most of the trees were still full of leaves.

What should have taken me 15 minutes to get to the firehouse that morning took me over an hour as I was running out of roads that weren't blocked to get there. Ultimately I had to drive about 10 miles out of the way before I found a route that wasn't blocked. Mind you, the snow didn't cause physical road problems. Just the fact that trees were down was the problem.

Hopefully, this storm won't be as bad as there are many trees that are already bare and almost bare. Unfortunately as many that are bare, there are still that many with an almost full showing of leaves.

Seems that there is chaos at 60-control right now. They are swamped with calls. Reported that WCPD HQ lost power. Con ed is not picking up phones, either. Looks like the roads are in terrible condition.

NYSDOT Traffic Cams

Con Ed Outage Map

Edited by firedude

Updated Snow Totals...

post-17100-0-82787100-1319920660.png

From the National Weather Service

I have VERY few trees in our yard....that we own...and those have fallen..most of which we have planted in the past 8 years...and of course..ALL of our neighbors trees have fallen..INTO our yard...awesome....lucky us1`

just got a post on facebook from lo-hud. not only did the snow swamp emergency services but according to the story county pd lost power too. that had to suck. where was their generator?

I have VERY few trees in our yard....that we own...and those have fallen..most of which we have planted in the past 8 years...and of course..ALL of our neighbors trees have fallen..INTO our yard...awesome....lucky us1`

Get ready to break out the chain saw!

A lot of fallen trees in my yard as well. Just so long as they don't fall on the wires, I'm cool with it.

Just got our power back on after about 4 hours of being off and 5 trees falling on the lines. Only about an inch of snow on the ground here right outside of Hurley (Ulster County).

Edited by eric12401

x129 would NEVER use a device in which he had to WALK behind..K...

Polaris Power for this kid....braapppp brraaappppppp!

The ole 2 stroke K

Say hi to your dad for me. :)

will do capt........ and ha ha guys very funny :P its pretty wicked here in beekman, had a powerline burning infront of my house for a good couple hours from what i was told. the line is still down and road blocked off but im home safe an sound WITH POWER!!!! lol oh and where my dad is 18 inches of snow.........and of coarse officer dad didnt put the plow on his jeep lol i forsee a 750 ft sheet of ice for him do navigate down tomorrow.

Edited by bfd34180

Wanna hear something rediculous...I DON'T own a friggin saw! I got a Quad... A SCAG..a big ole walk behind leaf blower and a bazillion hand tools..but no friggin saw! (YET!)

Litterally EVERY tree around my yard fell into the yard..but only a small one hit the house with no damage..no power still and dont antipate getting it back for days...

I did see a beautiful sunrise today...however it was not from my treestand..it was at a very stubborn house fire..

Edited by x129K